Do check your phone’s settings Type in “block” using your device’s search function. For Android phones, look for the three dots in the top right-hand corner of your text. Click on it and select “People” and “Options.” Next, select “Block” to stop receiving spam text messages from that number.
How do you retrieve blocked text messages?
- If you want to block texts from someone who is in your contact list already, here is how you can do it. Head to ‘Settings’ and then select ‘Phone. Now tap on ‘Blocked’ and then select ‘Add new’. You will see all contacts in your list. Now you can select the people you want to block and then click on done.
- 1 How do I stop unsolicited text messages?
- 2 How do I block spam texts on my iPhone?
- 3 Why am I suddenly getting spam texts?
- 4 How do I block incoming text messages on my cell phone?
- 5 Can you block text messages but not phone calls?
- 6 Block, filter, and report messages on iPhone
- 7 Block messages from a specific person or number
- 8 Filter iMessage messages from unknown senders
- 9 Report spam or junk messages
- 10 How to Block Robotexts and Spam Messages
- 11 Do Not Respond
- 12 Block Phone Numbers
- 13 Report Phone Numbers
- 14 Filter Out Spammers
- 15 RoboKiller
- 16 SpamHound SMS Spam Filter
- 17 TextKiller
- 18 How to Stop Spam Text Messages (SMS)
- 19 What is a phishing text message?
- 20 How to block unwanted texts
- 21 How to block spam texts on Android
- 22 How to block spam texts on iPhone
- 23 Add extra protection with Avast Free Antivirus
- 24 How to block and report text spam
- 25 Do not answer
- 26 Use the spam filter on your phone
- 27 Block specific texts
- 28 Forward the text to 7726
- 29 Block spam using your carrier’s services
- 30 Use a third-party spam-blocking service
- 31 5 ways to stop spam texts from reaching your smartphone
- 32 How to stop spam texts from reaching your smartphone
- 33 6 clever ways to quash robotext spam messages before it’s too late
- 34 How companies get your cellphone number
- 35 How to block robocalls and spam messages
- 36 How to Block Text Messages in iOS and Android
- 37 Block texts from the Messages app in iOS
- 38 How to block texts from known contacts in iOS
- 39 Block texts from numbers that appear as unknown or private
- 40 Report spam iMessages
- 41 Blocking texts on a Google Pixel from the Messages App
- 42 How to block texts on a Samsung phone from a conversation
- 43 How to block texts on a Samsung phone in the Messages app settings
- 44 How to block texts on (most) other Android phones
- 45 How to block texts using your carrier
- 46 Block texts with apps
- 47 What are spam texts and how to get rid of spam texts
- 48 What are spam texts?
- 49 What are robotexts?
- 50 Spam text message examples
- 51 How can you tell if a message is a scam?
- 52 Why am I getting spam text messages?
- 53 What to do if you receive a spam text
- 54 How to stop spam texts
- 55 Tips: How to protect yourself from spam texts
How do I stop unsolicited text messages?
On an Android phone, you can disable all potential spam messages from Google’s Messages app. Tap the three-dot icon in the upper right of the app and select Settings > Spam protection and turn on the Enable spam protection switch. Your phone will now alert you if an incoming message is suspected of being spam.
How do I block spam texts on my iPhone?
If you have an iPhone:
- Open the spam text and select the user icon on top of the page.
- Tap on the “info” icon.
- Select “Block this Caller”
Why am I suddenly getting spam texts?
Why am I getting spam text messages? There are many ways spammers get hold of your cell phone number so they can send SMS spam and sales texts: They may use technology to generate numbers automatically — so even if you have a brand-new number, you can still receive both robocalls and robotexts.
How do I block incoming text messages on my cell phone?
How to block text messages on Android
- Start the Messages app and tap a message that you want to block.
- Tap the three-dot menu at the top right of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu, choose “Details.”
- On the Details page, tap “Block & report spam.”
Can you block text messages but not phone calls?
Fortunately, you don’t need a special message blocker to do so; you can block texts on iPhone and Android using settings built-in to those devices. When you block a number to stop getting texts from it, you’re also preventing phone calls.
Block, filter, and report messages on iPhone
In the Messages app, you may block undesired messages, filter communications from unknown senders, and report spam or junk messages to the appropriate authorities.
Block messages from a specific person or number
- You can block undesired messages, filter messages from unknown senders, and report spam or junk messages using the Messages app.
You may manage your banned contacts and phone numbers by going to the SettingsMessagesBlocked Contacts section of your account. Apple Support provides the following article:Blocking phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (in English).
Filter iMessage messages from unknown senders
It is possible to turn off iMessage alerts from senders who aren’t in your contacts by filtering messages from unknown senders. The messages are sorted into the Unknown Senders tab in the Messages list when you filter messages from unknown senders.
- Go to SettingsMessages and choose Filter Unknown Senders from the drop-down menu. Please keep in mind that you will not be able to open any links in an email from an unknown sender until you either add the sender to your contacts or respond to the email.
Report spam or junk messages
When using iMessage, a message you receive from someone who isn’t already in your contacts list may be flagged as spam or junk mail. Apple can be contacted if you receive any of these messages. Hit Report Junk in the message, then tap Delete and Report Junk again. Information about the sender as well as the message are transmitted to Apple, and the message is permanently wiped from your device. Keep in mind that reporting trash or spam does not prohibit the sender from continuing to send messages; however, you can block the number in order to stop receiving texts.
The maximum number of characters is 250.
How to Block Robotexts and Spam Messages
You receive the sound of an incoming text message and eagerly check your phone, only to discover that it is a spam message sent to you by a spammer who is attempting to trick you into clicking on a link, opening an attachment, dialing a phone number, or doing something else that will put you in danger. Robotexts and spam messages, like robocalls and junk email, are an unavoidable aspect of modern life. Despite the fact that they are less intrusive than a spam call since they may be mainly ignored, this does not imply that they are completely safe.
However, you are not obligated to put up with their antics.
Do Not Respond
First and foremost, refrain from interfering with the communication. If you click on a link or attachment in a spam message, you run the risk of infecting your phone with malicious software. You don’t want to be the one to answer. When using a real robotext, there is usually an option to text STOP to have the firm remove you from their distribution list. However, this does not work when using a scammer’s robotext. When you react to spam, you’re actually merely confirming to the fraudster that your phone number is legitimate.
Your phone number may then be passed on to other fraudsters, increasing the likelihood of receiving further unsolicited calls and text messages. It is thus recommended that you should not answer to texts unless you are certain the text originated from a genuine firm that respects such requests.
Block Phone Numbers
You have the option of blocking a phone number that has been sending you spam texts. The disadvantage of using this strategy is that spammers frequently fake or swap phone numbers in order to avoid detection. If you block the phone number, you will still get messages from the same spammer who will use a different phone number to contact you. Open the text message that you have received on your iPhone. To get more information, hit the phone number at the top of the screen, followed by the Infobutton.
Open the text on your Android phone and hit the three-dot icon in the top right corner to zoom in.
It is possible to report spam by either selecting theBlock numberoption or by selectingDetailsand then tappingBlockreport spam.
Report Phone Numbers
It is possible to notify your mobile service provider of a robotext by forwarding it to a designated number. If you want to do this, copy and paste or forward the original message and text it to 7726, which is the number that spells SPAM. In order to forward, hold down the cursor on the problematic message, touch More, and then choose the forward option. The number is valid for AT T, Verizon Wireless, and T-Mobile, all of which will utilize the information to attempt to prevent further spam texts from being sent.
Filter Out Spammers
It is possible to turn off all potential spam messages from Google’s Messages app on an Android smartphone. SelectedSettingsSpam protectionand turned on theEnable spam protectionswitch may be found by tapping the three-dot icon in the top right corner of the program. If you receive an inbound message that is thought to be spam, your phone will now notify you. When using the Messages app on iOS, you may filter messages from unknown senders into a separate folder within the app. Activate it using the SettingsMessagesFilter Unknown Senders menu option.
They are primarily designed to stop spam phone calls, but they may also be used to block numbers that attempt to transmit spam text messages.
There is no charge for the basic version, however the Plus version costs $2.99 per month for a single line or $7.99 per month for three or more lines.
A caller identification tool is also included for numbers that are not currently in your contact list.
If you want a more sophisticated robotext filtering solution, you may want to consider using a third-party application.
RoboKiller, which is available for both iOS and Android devices, costs $3.99 per month or $29.99 per year. In order to assess if a text message is real or not, the program scrutinizes each message, examining the phone number, message content, attachments, and other data. If you have an iPhone and have installed the app, go to SettingsMessagesUnknownSpam. Turn on the RoboKiller switch in the SMS Filtering section of the settings. The message is moved to the SMS Junk folder in the Messages app if it is determined to be spam by RoboKiller.
SpamHound SMS Spam Filter
When it comes to SpamHound, each phone model has its own unique set of features that differ from one another. In order to filter SMS spam, theiOSapp works in conjunction with Apple’s built-in Messages software. TheAndroidapp, on the other hand, becomes your default SMS app for sending and receiving text messages. However, you are unable to upload GIFs, photos, videos, or other files to SpamHound, which automatically shows prior text messages and allows you to quickly access your contacts. It can identify spam messages based on keywords and other variables, which is useful for message filtering.
If you opt not to use RoboKiller, the same developers have created the iPhone application TextKiller, which is designed to exclusively block text messages. By default, the software scans texts for certain words, phrases, and other cues that indicate they are spam in order to identify whether texts are legitimate. If you label spam communications, you can aid it in learning from your activities. Creating block filters by adding particular phone numbers and blacklisting terms such as “Buy now” is another option.
The basic version is completely free, however it has certain limitations.
A premium edition is also available.
Like What You’re Reading?
How to Stop Spam Text Messages (SMS)
A spam message is any unsolicited communication that is delivered in bulk through the internet or an electronic messaging service without the recipient’s consent. Unwanted text messages sent to mobile phones are most visible in the form of unrecognized numbers and robo-texts made by auto-dialers, which are frequently used to promote a product or service. Of course, spammers do not limit themselves to SMS messages. Besides spam emails, other types of spam messages include phone calls from spam phone numbers, as well as the flood of spam emails that inundate our inboxes on a regular basis.
The vast majority of spam communications are innocuous, and filtering spam is a rather straightforward process. However, although most spam messages will not constitute a hazard in terms of theft, spyware, or the alleged phone virus, phishing assaults may. Phishing attacks are a different story.
What is a phishing text message?
If you compare it to regular spam, which merely offers a product or service, phishing text messages are frauds that are intended to trick you into supplying personal information, such as your login and password, or your credit card information. Because they are frequently sent to numerous recipients at the same time, phishing messages can be readily mistaken for spam. Phishing attempts, on the other hand, are designed to steal your data or trick you into downloading dangerous software instead of promoting a product.
How to block unwanted texts
Are you ready to get rid of all of the fraudulent text messages in your inbox? Text messages from random numbers may be permanently blocked with a few easy steps, and your accessibility to spam phone numbers can be reduced as a result of these actions. We’ve developed a list of Dos and Don’ts to help you make your website less appealing to spammers. Here’s how to avoid spam text messages from reaching you:
- Don’t answer in kind: By not responding to spam texts when you receive them, you are communicating to the sender that your phone number is not a responsive target, so forcing them to seek an audience somewhere else. Do the following block numbers: Although it appears to be a simple process, blocking a known spam number can assist in cutting off the sender’s channel of communication (though many spammers canspoofcountless new phone numbers). Fortunately, spam text messages can be blocked on both iPhones and Android smartphones with similar effectiveness. Do not hesitate to report spam communications to your mobile network operator, as follows: Scammers are becoming increasingly sophisticated, but so are mobile service providers. By notifying your carrier of suspicious or spam text messages, you may help to avoid such texting scams from occurring in the future. Make advantage of spam-blocking applications: The installation of a spam filter on your mobile device helps to eliminate unpleasant robocalls and messages while also providing an additional degree of data protection for your personal information. You may scroll down to see our list of the top text blocking apps for iPhone if you’re an iOS user. If you’re using an Android device, you can skip straight to our roundup of the top SMS blocking applications for Android
- Otherwise, continue reading. If you receive an email with a link, do not click on it. Strange links can take you to fraudulent websites that steal your data, rack up your cell bill, or infect your device with malware. Avoid clicking on strange links. Don’t press the button
- Maintain the confidentiality of your personal information: Legitimate businesses will not ask for sensitive personal information such as account passwords or government identity numbers. Please keep this information to yourself. Make sure to check your cell bill on a frequent basis: Some mobile scams compel your phone to call or text premium numbers, resulting in an increase in your monthly phone bill. Examine your mobile billing accounts for any abnormally high prices or unexpected data consumption
- If you find anything, contact your carrier. Make advantage of the spam-blocking capabilities built into your phone: Check your phone’s privacy and security settings, and utilize caller blocking, spam filters, and other anti-spam features to keep unwanted calls and messages at bay.
How to block spam texts on Android
When you get a potentially spam text message on your Android device, the question becomes: How can you prevent the caller from calling you again in the future? You should start by simply blocking spam SMS as a first line of protection. Here’s how to prevent unsolicited SMS from arriving on your Android phone: 1.
- Opening your messaging app and looking for the text you wish to block is the first step. Afterwards, click on the three-dot icon that appears in the upper-right corner of the screen. To proceed to Step 2, select theBlock number option and confirm your selection in the pop-up window.
While the technique outlined above is the same across most Android devices, call and text blocking may differ based on your Android version, as explained above. Additionally, if you have installed a different calling or messaging app on your Android smartphone, this will apply to you as well.
Best text blocking apps for Android
Using an Android app to block text messages can provide an additional layer of spam protection. We have something for everyone on our list of the top text blockers for Android, which includes features such as call silencing and spam identification. Additionally, for additional protection from the spam annoyance, consider using an ad blocker for Android.
Calls Blacklist is a comprehensive call and SMS message blocking application that allows you to stop calls and SMS messages from both unknown and private numbers. Alternatively, you may completely minimize unwanted interruptions by disabling call alerts entirely.
- Calls Blacklist is small and lightweight, taking up less than 1 MB of disk space. The following features are completely customizable: Other parameters can be adjusted to better recognize and block numbers that have the identical initial digits. Create a timetable that is unique to you: Lock your phone down at a moment that is convenient for you
The AI-drivenKey Texts text message blocker for Android is an award-winning text message blocker that automatically prevents spam messages from unknown senders.
- MMS-compliant in every way: Simple and straightforward delivery of multimedia material
- Streamlined screening procedures: SMS messages can be blocked based on the categories you pick
- Keep copies of the following documents: Data backups should be done to a Google Drive account.
Featuring a comprehensive set of features, Call Control is a spam call and SMS blocker for Android that automatically detects and stops both spam phone calls and spam SMS messages.
- Incognito mode: Select this option to automatically hide incoming calls and texts. Take complete control: Make your own customized blacklists. Smart screening: This feature automatically rejects all proven and probable spam contacts.
How to block spam texts on iPhone
In the event that you find yourself gazing at yet another iPhone spam SMS, your only option is to block the spammer. In addition to breaking the line of contact established by the caller, you will make yourself less vulnerable to future attempts by instantly blocking spam texts sent to your iPhone.
Block spam texts from the Messaging App
Are you ready to take action to combat spam at its source? Here’s a step-by-step instruction on how to prevent spam messages and unsolicited SMS from arriving on your phone:
- Step 1: Go to the text message conversation thread and start typing. Step 2: Tap the name of the sender, then click theInfo symbol at the top of the text screen
- Step 3: Tap the name of the recipient
- The Block this Calleroption, which is indicated in red, may be found at the bottom of the page. Step 3:
Filter and block spam texts automatically
Your iPhone is also capable of automatically filtering out spam text messages.
Here’s how to automatically prevent spam text messages:
- Step 1: Navigate to the Settings menu on your iPhone and choose the Messages section. Second, activate the Filter Unknown Sendersfeature by swiping the toggle button to its right, just below theMessage Filtering header. Messages received from unknown numbers will be collected in a separate list if you have this option enabled.
Best text blocking apps for iPhone
We propose a text blocking software for iPhone for iOS users who want to add an extra degree of security to their device. Our most recent update to our list of the top iOS text and call filters includes applications that are effective against every type of spam. For even more protection against unwanted interruptions on your phone, consider using an ad blocker for iOS.
Hiya is a feature-rich call and SMS blocker software for the iPhone that automatically detects and stops spam calls, such as robocalls and telemarketers, without the need for user intervention.
- Interface that is more streamlined: Easily view numbers that have been blocked
- Blocking of area codes and prefixes: Identify and block possibly faked spam calls based on their location
- Option for a reverse phone lookup: Connect names to numbers that haven’t been saved
TrueCaller, one of the largest and most widely used spam-blocking applications, offers a completely free membership tier while also methodically preventing spam messages from reaching users’ phones.
- Feature-rich: It comes with a spam-blocker as well as a caller ID. Automatically detects spam, automated phone calls, and other fraudulent messages before you respond to them
- Developed by the community Confirms the identification of any caller based on the experiences of other users in an informational database.
VeroSMS is a specialized and powerful SMS filter that prioritizes your privacy. It allows you to block texts based on a keyword or using crowdsourcing data from a certain location.
- Using VeroSMS, a specialized and effective SMS filter that prioritizes your privacy over all other considerations, you may block messages based on a keyword or using crowdsourcing data based on a specific geographic location.
SMS Shield is a spam filtering program that uses machine learning to discover and filter junk messages with great efficiency. It works both offline and on your smartphone to find and filter trash messages.
- Manual control options include: blocking particular SMS contacts based on keywords
- Restricting access to specified websites
- And restricting access to specific applications. AI engine included into the app: Easily distinguish between fresh and recycled spam
- Mode of transportation for frequent travelers: While functioning in various languages, it is possible to block border-crossing SMS messages.
Add extra protection with Avast Free Antivirus
Spam may appear to be innocent, but dodgy links and concealed viruses can cause serious damage to your computer or smartphone. Avast Mobile Securityprovides an additional layer of protection against risks hidden in spam communications, making it an excellent choice. In addition to providing real-time protection against malware and other dangers, Avast Mobile Security protects your sensitive information as well as your system, ensuring that you and your data are never compromised. It’s never been easier to keep secure, thanks to the availability of versions for both Android and iOS devices.
How to block and report text spam
If you make a purchase after clicking on a Verge link, Vox Media may get a commission. See our code of ethics for more information. Getting a spam SMS may be really inconvenient; you receive a notice and stop what you’re doing to check your phone, only to discover that someone is attempting to sell you something that you don’t want or need. What can you do to avoid it? Unfortunately, when it comes to combating text spam, there are no absolutes. However, there are several measures you can do to at the very least reduce the quantity of spam SMS that make it through.
Do not answer
Most important is to never respond to spam texts and to never click on any links contained inside spam texts, which you are probably already aware of. If you’re not sure if a text message is spam or authentic, don’t respond until you’ve done some investigation.
Use the spam filter on your phone
Spam-filtering tools are available on Android phones and iPhones, and you can turn them on.
If you have an Android phone:
- Open the Messages app on your phone. Select the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen. Make sure that “Enable spam protection” is toggled on in the SettingsSpam protection menu
- Then click OK.
If you want to know which phone numbers you’ve identified as spam, you may go to “Spamblocked” in the primary menu and look at the list of those numbers.
If you have an iPhone:
Apple’s spam blocking is a touch more basic than Android’s: it bans phone numbers that you don’t have recorded in your contacts list and with whom you haven’t previously communicated, which might be a problem (for example, if you’re anticipating a call from a car service), but it is still useful.
- Launch the Settings application. Scroll down to and choose MessagesUnknownSpam from the drop-down menu. Toggle the “Filter Unknown Senders” switch on.
Block specific texts
When you get a spam SMS, you can choose to prevent that particular number from contacting you in the future.
If you have an Android phone:
Whenever you touch on a message that Android identifies as suspicious, the operating system will frequently provide you with the option to report it as spam (or to confirm that it is not spam). However, if you get a spam text that has not been flagged:
- Select the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen. Select Blockreport spam from the drop-down menu. Simply blocking that number is an option, as is selecting “Report spam” to have the number reported both to Google and probably your carrier.
Please keep in mind that the procedure may vary based on whatever Android phone you are using.
If you have an iPhone:
- Open the spam text and then click on the user symbol at the top of the page to log out. To get more information, click on the “info” symbol. Select “Block this Caller” from the drop-down menu.
If you wish to report a spam iMessage that you got, search for the “Report Junk” link under the message, press it, then tap “Delete,” and then “Report Junk” to complete the process. Please keep in mind that this does not instantly ban that phone number; you will need to do it individually.
Forward the text to 7726
Sending a spam text to 7726 may be done if you’re using one of the main carriers (Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile), and the spam text will be reported. (On your phone’s keypad, this will appear as “SPAM.”) This may also be feasible with other carriers; to find out if this is possible with your carrier, contact them directly. By the way, this isn’t simply a problem in the United States. Ofcom, which oversees communications services in the United Kingdom, also takes allegations of spam SMS routed to the number 7726.
Block spam using your carrier’s services
Most major carriers now provide spam-blocking services for phone conversations, and these services may be extended to text messages as well. Information about security services supplied by carriers such as AT T, T-Mobile, and Verizon may be found on their websites; if you use a different carrier, you can consult its website for specifics.
Use a third-party spam-blocking service
If you’re feeling very annoyed and the tactics outlined above aren’t working for you, you might want to consider employing a third-party anti-spam service. These are not provided for free. When you sign up for a seven-day trial of RoboKiller, the cost is $4.99 per month or $39.99 per year. Nomorobo, on the other hand, is $1.99 per month per device after a 14-day trial. If you do decide that you require a third-party service, you may take advantage of the trial period to determine if it is a good fit for you before committing to it.
ET on June 30th, 2021: Original publication date: June 29, 2020; this page has been updated to include the fact that forwarding to 7726 may be accomplished in the United Kingdom.
Eastern Time: The information has been updated to match the most recent options for applications and phones.
5 ways to stop spam texts from reaching your smartphone
- Stopping spam texts on your iPhone or Android device may be accomplished by the use of blocking, reporting, or filtering messages. Never respond to spam SMS, even if you want to submit a STOP request, because this will just make the situation worse. Text-blocking software can also help you avoid receiving spam texts, albeit they are typically more expensive. More stories may be found in Insider’s Tech Reference collection
- Click here.
Blocking, reporting, and filtering messages on your iPhone or Android device will help you stop spam texts; Never respond to spam SMS, even if you want to submit a STOP request, because this will just make the situation worse; Text-blocking programs can also help you avoid receiving spam texts, however they are typically more expensive than other methods. More stories may be found in Insider’s Tech Reference database.
How to stop spam texts from reaching your smartphone
Here are five actions you may do to filter or block spam SMS on your computer.
1. Don’t respond to unwanted texts
The way authorized sources allow you to opt out of future SMS contact by responding with the word “STOP” is presumably known to you. Many spammers may give you the chance to answer with the word STOP — but don’t take advantage of this. If you are not certain that the sender is trustworthy and authentic, do not text “STOP.” Dave Johnson/InsiderSpammers utilize your response — any response, even STOP – as a signal that you have received and are actively engaged in your communications, which might encourage them to send you more messages.
Your information may potentially be sold to other spammers who are seeking for phone numbers that have been “confirmed as active.”
2. Report spammers to your cellular provider
If you get spam messages, you may take action against them by reporting the senders directly to your phone service provider. For most major carriers, including AT T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, you may copy the objectionable message and text it to the number 7726 to have it removed from your phone. You should receive a response, which, depending on the carrier, may include a request for you to provide the phone number from where the spam was received. This will most likely not result in immediate effects for you, but it will contribute to the overall cleaning up of the messaging ecology for all users.
In this article, Dave Johnson/Insider
3. Filter potential spammers
When possible spam texts are received, most phones feature a setting to automatically filter them so that they do not display in the same list as crucial, valid texts from known contacts. Messages may be found in the Settings app on an iPhone by selecting “Messages.” Scroll down to the “Filter Unknown Senders” section and switch it on by sliding the button to the right. Open the Messaging app on your Android device and hit the three dots in the upper right corner. Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu, and then select “Spam Protection.” Finally, by swiping the button to the right, you may enable “Enable spam prevention.” Both iOS and Android devices have the ability to screen suspected spammers.
4. Block specific spammers
If you receive spam from a certain phone number on a regular basis, you may use your messaging app to ban that number. Don’t expect this to be effective in every instance, though, because most spammers may seem to use a new phone number each time they contact you, so blocking specific numbers may have little effect. In order to view the spam text on an iPhone, open it and choose “user icon” at the top of the page, followed by “info.” On the following page, choose “info” once again, and then select “Block this Caller.” You have the option of blocking individual phone numbers, which comes in useful if you receive SMS from the same sender on a regular basis.
5. Use a paid text-blocking app
Hopefully, any combination of the above mentioned strategies will result in a significant reduction in the quantity of spam messages you get. If you want further support, though, you may make use of a software that is intended to prevent spam. Spam may be reduced significantly by using a software like RoboKiller, which is available for both iPhone and Android devices. Spam can be received in the form of phone calls and text messages. These applications, on the other hand, are not free. RoboKiller is available for a seven-day free trial before charging $5 per month or $40 per year after that.
Writer on a freelance basis A technology journalist, Dave Johnson covers consumer technology and how the industry is changing the futuristic realm of science fiction into a reality that is more like ours today.
After that, he worked for Microsoft for eight years as a content lead on the Windows team.
Besides being the author of more than a dozen books, Dave also contributes to a variety of websites and magazines such as CNET, Forbes, PC World, How To Geek, and the Insider magazine.
More:Tech How to Spam Text Messages on a Cell Phone It denotes the presence of an expanding section or menu, as well as the presence of previous and next navigation choices. A lightning bolt-shaped symbol is used to represent lightning. Especially for you
6 clever ways to quash robotext spam messages before it’s too late
If you thought robocalls were inconvenient, wait till you hear this. Sending unsolicited text messages offering free gift cards, reduced credit card interest rates, debt relief programs, and other frauds is the latest annoyance to take over our phones. The objective remains the same, however: to take your money. While phone providers are taking their time to put a halt to the deluge of robocalls, there are actions you can do to be proactive. Unfortunately, it is up to you to put a stop to the invasion of robotexts.
MORE IMPORTANT TIPS FOR YOUR PHONE INCLUDE:
- When making calls, there are five different ways to block or hide your number. Here’s how to increase the signal strength of your iPhone
- Has your smartphone been soaked? Here’s what you don’t want to do first: The most effective methods for keeping our phones and applications organized
How companies get your cellphone number
Social networking sites make money by selling your information. The information you submit to marketers is collected by sites such as Facebook and Twitter, as well as Google and other search engines. If your phone number is visible on social media, it’s safe to assume that it’s in the databases of many marketing companies. You dialed a toll-free number such as 800, 888, or 900. When you contact phone numbers with certain prefixes, an Automatic Number Identification (ANI) system will record your mobile number and store it for future reference.
- You’ve done it.
- You fill out a sign-up form, enter a contest, or join up for a rewards program in-store, among other things.
- You were not the one who did it.
- Getting off the phone: The Federal Trade Commission has shut down four telemarketers that were responsible for billions of unlawful robocalls.
How to block robocalls and spam messages
- These days, robotic text messages are commonplace, and many people consider them to be a necessary evil. They believe I am in possession of a smartphone. Receiving unsolicited texts is only one of the drawbacks of owning a smartphone. Whatever you do, do not respond to the content or click on any of the links within it. There are a variety of strategies for retaliation, and employing them benefits everyone. The more our opposition to robotexts, the less likely it is that they will succeed. 1. Inform them that they must cease and desist. Many legal businesses provide you the option to opt out of getting messages from them on a regular basis. Caution should be exercised, however, because scammers use this identical tactic to trick you into responding STOP to their messages, which can aid in verifying your identity and phone number. A short Google search will generally reveal whether or not a textable number is legitimate. 2. The number of blocks. It is simple to block phone numbers. Although not always the case, specific directions may differ depending on the brand, model, and operating system of your mobile device. In addition, keep in mind that the same operation may attempt to text you using a new phone number. Argh. Open the text message from the number you desire to ban on your iPhone and touch on the sender’s phone number. To get more information, click on the info (i)icon. SelectBlock this Caller andBlock Contact from the Detailsscreen by clicking on the phone number and selectingBlock this Caller andBlock Contact. When using an Android device, launch your phone application and select Settings from the three-dot menu in the top right corner. Toggle onBlocking of numbers. There are various alternatives available, including unknown callers, recent calls, and contacts from your contact list. Specify or manually type the phone number you want to ban. 3. Act as a whistleblower. Reporting a robotext or spam message to your cellular carrier is an excellent first step in the battle against robotexts and spam communications, and should be done immediately. Copy and send the original content to 7726 (SPAM), which is completely free of charge. If you are a Verizon, AT T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Bell user, you can use this way to access your account. 4. File a formal complaint with the appropriate authorities. Sending unsolicited commercial email messages to wireless devices without your agreement is against the law, according to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). In addition, it is illegal to send unsolicited text messages to your cellphone through an auto-dialer, which is another violation of the statute. A transactional or relationship-type communication, as well as noncommercial messages such as political surveys or fundraising appeals, are the only two exceptions to this rule. If you get unsolicited commercial text messages, you can register a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission via the FTC complaint help. 5. Make use of the hidden setting on your phone. This isn’t exactly a top-secret location either. It’s so esoteric that it’s likely you’ve never heard of it before. By screening spam on your mobile device, you may contribute to the elimination of spam messages and robotexts. Spam may be easily removed from an iPhone using a simple method. Go to the Settings menu and choose Messages. Scroll down to the section labeled “Filter Unknown Senders” and turn the setting on. On an Android device, open the phone app and touch on the three-dot menu icon, which will bring you to the Settings menu. EnableCaller IDSpam under theSettings section. 6. Enlist the assistance of others. There are a number of third-party programs available to assist you in protecting yourself against spammers. Nomorobo and RoboKiller are two popular apps that are accessible for both iOS and Android devices. They are effective in blocking and filtering suspicious robotexts and spam communications, despite the fact that they each demand a monthly membership that costs a few dollars each month. Hopefully, we will be able to put an end to robotexts much more quickly than we were able to do with robocallers. The Kim Komando Program, the nation’s largest weekend radio talk show, is a great place to learn about the newest technological advances. Kim answers phone calls and provides information about today’s digital lifestyle, which includes anything from smartphones and tablets to internet privacy and data intrusions. Check out her website, Kommando.com, for daily advice, free newsletters, and other useful information.
How to Block Text Messages in iOS and Android
When dealing with a continual stream of spam messages or a persistent ex who won’t take “no” for an answer, it’s important to learn how to block communications on your computer. Regardless of whether you’re using iOS or Android, the procedure is typically less time-consuming and painless than you anticipate. You can easily block text messages — and even unwanted phone calls — no matter what sort of phone you have, and we’ll show you how. No matter what kind of phone you have, you may be wondering how to stop text messages — and even unwanted phone calls.
Block texts from the Messages app in iOS
Text messages may be blocked with relative ease in iOS. The Messages app on your iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, or previous iPhone is the quickest and most convenient way to block a message.
Step 1: Select the message from the contact you wish to block and tap “Block.” Step 2: At the top of the message, tap their name or profile photo to send them a message. Tapinfo is the third step. Step 4: TapBlock the person who is calling.
How to block texts from known contacts in iOS
An alternative method of preventing messages from known contacts is to include them on yourBlocked list. It is possible to block not just texts, but also phone calls and FaceTime calls using one of the two methods discussed in the previous section. This saves you the time and effort of having to go into both the Phone and FaceTime applications to block the same person. Step 1: Launch the Settings application, scroll down, and select Messages. Step 2: Tap on the contacts that have been blocked.
Choose the contact you wish to prevent from contacting you.
To delete a contact, go to the Edit menu in the upper-right corner of the screen and choose theminus sign next to the name of the person you want to remove from the list.
Block texts from numbers that appear as unknown or private
Unfortunately, unlike known contacts, you are unable to completely block unknown and private numbers in the same manner that you may block known contacts. You may, on the other hand, screen and isolate them from the folks you are familiar with. The Unknown Senders tab will be created in your Messages app, and you will not get alerts for messages from unknown senders. It’s not the ideal solution, but it’s a respectable compromise. Step 1: Open your Settings app and scroll down to the Messages section.
Report spam iMessages
An other action you may do is to report spam and trash iMessages. In the event that you get an iMessage from someone you do not know, there will be a link to Report Junk in the message. Apple will receive the information and message from the sender if they click on the link. This should be handled by corporate personnel who should ultimately prevent the individual or bot from contacting you in the future. You may also send an email to [email protected] to complain about spam. Keep in mind that you’ll need a screenshot of the message, as well as the email address or phone number that sent the iMessage, as well as the date and time that you got it to prove you received it.
For example, AT&T recommends sending the spam message to the number 7726.
Following that, the carrier will check into the message further.
Blocking texts on a Google Pixel from the Messages App
There are two methods for blocking SMS on a Google phone, such as the Pixel 6 or the Pixel 6 Pro, which are described below. Both occur within the Messages application. Begin the Messagesapp first, and then open or start a chat with one of your contacts from there. TapMore (which is symbolized by three vertical dots), selectDetails, and then tapBlockReport Spam to complete the process. Step 1: Go to the Messages tab. Step 2: Tapping and holding on a message from someone you wish to block will do the trick.
Step 4: Press the Button. To open a message in a different way, you can hit the three dots in the top right corner after you have tapped on it. Step 6: Tap the Details button. Step 7: TapBlockReport Spam to report spam.
How to block texts on a Samsung phone from a conversation
Samsung phones such as the Galaxy S20 FE, Galaxy S21, and Galaxy S21 Ultra, which are similar to Google phones, feature two methods for blocking texts. Firstly, you must do so from within a conversation in theMessagesapp.Step 1:Open theMessagesapp and select the conversation you wish to block.Step 2:Tap that the contact is not a saved contact, then tapBlock Numberat the top of the message.Note: If the person you wish to block has already been added to your contacts list, the procedure is different.
To complete the process, tapBlock.Step 4:If the communication you wish to block originates from a known contact, open that chat and hit thethree dots in the upper-right corner.
After that, tapBlock.Tap Block Contact”>tapBlock.Tap Block Contact
How to block texts on a Samsung phone in the Messages app settings
If you prefer, you may block messages, contacts, or phone numbers straight from theMessagesapp’sSettings menu item. Step 1: In the app, press the three dots in the upper-right corner to open the settings menu. Step 2: Select Settings from the drop-down menu. Step 3: Use the tap button to block numbers and spam. Step 4: Tap the corresponding block numbers. Using this dialogue box, you may manually input phone numbers to block, or you can acquire the numbers from your Contacts or via Conversations, whichever is appropriate.
How to block texts on (most) other Android phones
Android is a fantastic operating system that is available in a variety of forms, sizes, and tastes. As a result, there are a variety of methods for blocking texts and contacts in each Android operating system version. Messagesapp will be your primary destination for the majority of your communications. In most cases, a three-dot menu will appear, and inside it will be the option to access the Settings menu. If you receive a message, you may touch on it and check for a block option in the message body.
How to block texts using your carrier
In order to assist their clients in blocking texts from certain numbers, such as those belonging to telemarketers, several mobile carriers offer services and extra settings. T-Mobile offers Message Blocking, Verizon offers Calls and Messages Blocking, and AT T offers Secure Family.
Block texts with apps
There are hundreds of applications available in both the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store that give you with additional options for blocking phone numbers and text messages. If you decide to proceed with this option, we urge that you look into it more. However, you should be aware of the potential privacy risks associated with sharing your contacts.
Should I Answer? (free)
Is it appropriate for me to respond? If you’re looking for a call-blocking app, is one of the greatest options available. It features an active forum where users can discuss and rate different phone numbers, as well as other information that makes it simple to determine if a phone number is authentic, a bot, a telemarketer, or a scam. It’s simple to block numbers, whether online or offline, and you have the option of blocking any or all numbers that are not in your contacts list. Text-blocking software does, in fact, have access to your contacts list.
The developer, on the other hand, claims that your contacts will stay private, with no sharing or uploading, and that contacts will only be accessible to check for incoming phone calls. Unfortunately, this application is not compatible with iPhones. Android
Hiya Caller ID and Block (free)
Using a vast database containing millions of phone numbers, this call-blocking application can identify and flag telemarketers, robocalls, scammers, and debt collectors, among other things. This program allows you to create a list of numbers to block or search for numbers in your phone call log using the reverse search feature. On the negative side, Hiya accesses your contacts and stores them in an encrypted database, which is accessed by third parties. In addition, the organization ensures that your contacts will never be sold and that they will only be used to generate white lists and match information.
Hiya was created by the same team that created Mr.
Truecaller, the follow-up to the well-regarded Truemessenger app, operates in a similar manner to its predecessor in that it notifies you when you get a spam call or text message. As soon as the program identifies spam, it will ban the senders, preventing them from calling or texting you in the future. The app’s powerful Caller ID algorithm quickly and accurately detects any strange numbers that are harassing you. This software is used by over 250 million people worldwide. Truecaller has told us that, despite the fact that your phone book will be accessed in order for the service to combat spam, your privacy will not be compromised.
While the app will access your phone book in order to provide its Caller ID feature, it will not collect or use any of the information that you have saved in your phone book.
- When will my phone be updated to Android 12? This month’s top iPad Pro bargains and offers are listed below. The best Android tablet deals for January 2022 are listed below. The best Google Pixel 4 deals for January 2022 are listed below. The best Google Pixel discounts for January 2022 are listed below.
What are spam texts and how to get rid of spam texts
Spam messages are an annoyance that very few of us are able to avoid. Not only are unsolicited text messages highly inconvenient, but they are also frequently a fraud in disguise. It is explained in this post how you may fight back and limit the quantity of spam text messages and phishing text messages that you receive.
What are spam texts?
Spam is a term used to describe communications that are sent to recipients who have not requested them. Typically, spam SMS are not sent from a different phone number. Their primary source is a computer, and they are transmitted to your phone using an email address or an instant messaging service account. Because they are sent over the internet, they are both inexpensive and simple for scammers to send.
When it comes to spam, it’s all about the numbers. Spammers send messages in bulk, frequently to numbers that are selected at random or produced automatically, and they only need a few answers to justify their efforts.
What are robotexts?
Despite the fact that robotexts are a sort of spam text, they are less intrusive than robocalls since they are more difficult to ignore. Although it’s inconvenient to hear the sound of an incoming text message and immediately check your phone just to discover that it’s spam, it does happen. Furthermore, spam texts and robotexts are frequently the beginning of a scam in which the senders want to collect personal information about you that they may use to commit fraud against you. These SMS can put you at risk for identity theft and raise the likelihood of you unintentionally installing malware into your phone.
Spam text message examples
Because they are simpler to ignore, robotexts are a less intrusive kind of spam text than robocalls, which are more invasive. Although it’s inconvenient to hear the sound of an incoming text message and immediately check your phone just to discover that it’s spam, it does happen occasionally. Worse even, spam texts and robotexts are frequently the beginning of a scam in which the senders want to collect personal information about you that they may use for fraudulent purposes in the future. These SMS can put you at risk of identity theft and increase the likelihood of you unintentionally installing malware onto your device.
- Suppose you’ve won a prize, received a gift card, or received a voucher that you’d like to use
- You’ve been offered a credit card with a low or no interest rate
- You have been overcharged and are owed a refund, which may be due to you from a government body such as the IRS or the HMRC. In order to protect you, your account has been deactivated, and you must take the necessary procedures to reinstate it. You may be eligible for assistance in repaying your college debt. If you have negative information on your credit report, you can have it removed for a small fee. Suspicious behavior has been detected on your account, and you will be asked to take additional action. There’s an issue with your payment information, and you need to do something about it immediately
- A notification concerning a delivery package has been sent to you, maybe requesting that you change a delivery slot or pay a delivery fee in order to receive it
- And You are alerted of a purchase or transaction and instructed to respond if it was not you who made the purchase or transaction. Messages such as “Get rich soon” or “Be your own boss” are prohibited.
A common tactic used by scammers is to instill a feeling of urgency in their recipients, for example, by suggesting that “urgent action is necessary” or “you only have two days to respond.” Typically, the messages require you to provide some personal information – such as your bank or credit card information or Social Security number – in order to collect the gift or pursue the offer further. Alternatively, you may be requested to click on a link in order to learn more about the problem. The link then directs you to a bogus website, where the fraudsters may steal your login credentials if you check in using your credentials.
How can you tell if a message is a scam?
Scammers are becoming more proficient in their ability to make scam SMS messages appear legitimate, and they frequently employ identity masking technologies to alter the name displayed as the caller ID. This is referred to as “number spoofing.” To that end, there are a few indicators to look out for when trying to determine whether or not an email is a scam. They are as follows:
- When it comes to making scam text messages appear legitimate, scammers are becoming increasingly clever. They frequently employ identity masking technology to modify the name displayed as the caller ID on their phone calls. Spofing numbers is what this is known as. To that end, there are a few indicators to look out for when trying to determine whether or not an email is a hoax.
When it comes to scams, whether online or otherwise, the golden rule is that if something seems too good to be true, it generally is.
Why am I getting spam text messages?
When it comes to scams, whether online or otherwise, the golden rule is that if anything appears to be too good to be true, it almost always will be.
- In other cases, they may employ technologies to create numbers on the fly, which means that you can still receive robocalls and robotexts, even if your phone number is fresh new. Social networking sites make money by selling your information. Advertisers may follow your online activities using popular and well-known social networking sites, which then sell that information to them. In the event that you post your phone number on social media, there is a good likelihood that it may appear in a variety of marketing databases. There are a variety of reasons why individuals divulge their phone numbers online – filling up online forms, participating in competitions or loyalty programs, among other things. In the United States, you may have dialed an 800, 888, or 900 number in order to give away your cell phone number
- In other countries, you may have entered your mobile phone number into a spam email account. When you dial phone numbers with certain prefixes, an Automatic Number Identification (ANI) system records your mobile phone number for future reference. In addition to detecting and storing your number, the ANI system has the capability of matching it with other digital data linked with you.
Furthermore, if you have ever answered to a spam text message, even inadvertently, your phone number is likely to have been classified as authentic and may have been passed on to other spammers, increasing your chances of receiving more junk messages and SMS spam in the future.
What to do if you receive a spam text
You should never respond to spam text messages, regardless of how tempting it may be. Spammers will use this as confirmation that you are a legitimate person and a possible target. Spammers may attempt to fool you into replying by stating anything like “text STOP to be removed from our mailing list” or something along those lines. Don’t be deceived by this ruse. If you respond, you may expect to get further spam messages and phone calls. Instead of replying, it is preferable to remain silent.
- Spammers will see this as confirmation that you are a legitimate individual and a possible target.
- Don’t be deceived by this charade.
- Rather of reacting, you should refrain from doing so.
- Spammers will see this as confirmation that you are a genuine person and a possible target.
- Don’t get taken in by this.
- It is preferable not to answer at all.
- You can find their website by searching for it in a search engine and then clicking through from the search engine results page, or you can put the URL straight into your browser’s address bar if you prefer.
- In the United Kingdom, you may report spam text messages or robotexts to your cellular provider by sending the unwanted text to the number 7726 from your phone (this spells SPAM).
- This technique of reporting is effective for the key network providers.
- Sending SMS to the number 7726 will not result in any charges.
- Look for the option to report trash or spam, which is usually located at the bottom of the page:
- Using your iPhone, you may report spam or garbage. When using an Android phone, how can you report spam or junk?
If you send unsolicited commercial communications to users without their agreement, you are breaking the law. The specifics of the complaints procedure will differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. As an illustration:
- You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in the United States. You can file a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office in the United Kingdom. You may file a complaint with the Australian Communications and Media Authority in Australia.
What to do if you’ve fallen victim to a scam message or phishing text
If you believe you may have sent personal or financial information to a fraudster through a spam mail, take the following steps:
- Notify your bank or financial institution as soon as possible to inform them of the situation. Ensure that all of your usernames and passwords are unique across all of your accounts
- You should notify your phone service provider about the scam since they may have had other customers who had the same experience as you and can take action if they notice that other customers are receiving similar spam messages. Bring in law enforcement when there is a threat of financial damage
How to stop spam texts
Notify your bank or financial institution as soon as possible to inform them of your situation. Ensure that all of your usernames and passwords are changed across all of your accounts; You should notify your phone service provider of the scam since they may have had other customers who had the same experience as you and can take action if they see that other customers are receiving similar spam messages. When there is a risk of financial loss, engage law enforcement.
It is simple to block numbers on your mobile device, albeit the specific procedures may differ depending on the brand, model, and operating system of your device. You should keep in mind that the fraudsters may attempt to text you from what looks to be a new number each time, which makes the procedure of manually banning them more time-consuming. How to prevent text messages from being received on your iPhone:
- It is simple to block phone numbers, albeit the exact steps to take will depend on the brand, model, and operating system of your mobile device. You should keep in mind that the fraudsters may attempt to text you from what looks to be a new number each time, which makes the procedure of manually banning them more time-consuming and inconvenient. iPhone text messages can be blocked in the following ways:
How to prevent spam messages from being sent to your Android phone:
- When using an Android device, launch your phone’s application and select “Settings” from the three-dot menu in the top right corner. Select ” Block numbers ” from the drop-down menu. Choose from a number of different alternatives, such as unknown callers, recent calls, or people on your contact list
- Specify or manually type the phone number you want to ban
Filter unknown senders
Using spam filters on your mobile device is another approach to help limit the amount of spam messages and robotexts that you receive. Using the iPhone to filter out spam messages:
- Select “Messages” from the Settings menu in the app. Continue to scroll down until you reach the “Filter Unknown Senders” section. Slide the button to the right to activate the feature. The “Unknown Senders” tab can be located under the “Filters” menu and will contain any messages from numbers that are not in your contact list.
Filtering spam messages on Android is as simple as the following:
- Navigate to the Messaging app and hit the three dots symbol in the upper right-hand corner of the screen to open the menu. “Spam Protection” may be found under “Settings.” You’ll want to scroll down until you see “Enable Spam Protection.” By sliding the button to the right, you may activate it.
Tips: How to protect yourself from spam texts
Navigate to the Messaging app and press the three dots symbol in the top right-hand corner of the screen to access the menu. Then select “Spam Protection” from the drop-down menu. Scroll down till you see “Enable Spam Protection.”; click on it. Swiping the button to the right will turn it on.
- Is it possible for iPhones to contract viruses? Instructions on how to encrypt your iPhone
- What Are the Most Secure Messaging Apps
- What Are the Most Private Messaging Apps
- Instructions on how to uninstall a hacker from your smartphone
- SMS-based attacks and SMS-based mobile threats are on the rise.