How to recover/view old text messages?
- Login to https://icloud.com with your Apple ID and password
- Click on Text Messages (if it isn’t there your messages haven’t been backed up).
- If it is there searched the messages to find the ones you need.
- Now go to your iPhone and choose Settings,iCloud on your iPhone.
- Turn off Text Messages (or ensure it is turned off).
- You’ll see a pop-up.
- 1 Can I retrieve a deleted text message?
- 2 How do you retrieve text message history?
- 3 How far back can text messages be retrieved?
- 4 Where do deleted texts go?
- 5 How can I access my text messages online?
- 6 How do I recover text messages on Android?
- 7 Can I recover deleted text messages android for free?
- 8 How do I retrieve deleted text messages from my Samsung?
- 9 Can you get back deleted texts on Samsung?
- 10 How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone and Android
- 11 Before trying to recover deleted text messages
- 12 How to recover deleted texts on Android
- 13 How to retrieve deleted text messages on Android using recovery software
- 14 Retrieve deleted messages on Android by getting in touch with your phone carrier
- 15 How to recover deleted texts on iPhone without a computer
- 16 How to recover deleted texts on iPhone using Finder on your Mac
- 17 How to retrieve deleted text messages for iPhone using recovery software
- 18 Retrieve deleted messages on iPhone from your carrier
- 19 How to recover deleted text messages on an iPhone, either from a backup or using a third-party app
- 20 How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiCloud
- 21 How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiTunes
- 22 Third-party apps for recovering texts on youriPhone
- 23 Related coverage fromHow To DoEverything: Tech:
- 24 Recover Missing Messages from Facebook, WhatsApp, or Messages
- 25 How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone with iCloud Recovery
- 26 How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone: Restore from Your Computer
- 27 Recover Deleted Texts: Contact Your Cell Phone Service Provider
- 28 Recover Deleted Text Messages: iPhone Apps
- 29 How to recover deleted text messages on your Android phone
- 30 A little about how deletion and storage works
- 31 Carriers often have all your texts stored
- 32 Use data recovery software
- 33 How to recover deleted text messages on iPhone
- 34 Recover deleted texts using an iCloud backup
- 35 Recover deleted texts from an iTunes or Finder backup
- 36 Restore deleted texts by contacting your carrier
- 37 Restore deleted texts using a third-party app
- 38 How to back up and restore text messages on Android
- 39 How to automatically back up your SMS messages to Google Drive
- 40 How to automatically backup your SMS messages with a third-party app
- 41 How to restore your SMS messages with SMS BackupRestore
Can I retrieve a deleted text message?
Connect your Android to your computer (with the recovery program installed and program running) with a USB cable. Scan the Android device to find deleted text messages. Then select the messages you want to retrieve and click the “Recover” button to get them back.
How do you retrieve text message history?
How to Get Text Message History From Phone
- Look for the menu icon on your cell phone screen.
- Go into the menu section of your cell phone.
- Look for the icon and word “Messaging” within your menu.
- Look for the words “Inbox” and “Outbox” or “Sent” and “Received” in your Messaging section.
How far back can text messages be retrieved?
All of the providers retained records of the date and time of the text message and the parties to the message for time periods ranging from sixty days to seven years. However, the majority of cellular service providers do not save the content of text messages at all.
Where do deleted texts go?
The Android operating system stores text messages in the phone’s memory, so if they’re deleted, there’s no way to retrieve them. You can, however, install a text message backup application from the Android market that allows you to restore any deleted text messages.
How can I access my text messages online?
Way 1: Read My Text Messages Online Via Google’s Messages for Web
- Step 1: Make sure you are using Google’s Messages app and open it on your phone.
- Step 2: Search Messages for Web online and enter this official website.
- Step 3: Tap More on Messages app and select “Messages for Web”.
- Step 4: Scan the QR code and login.
How do I recover text messages on Android?
Open the SMS Backup & Restore app and grand all required permissions. Tap the 3-dash icon at the top-left corner of the screen to open the side menu. Select the storage location you want to restore from and sign-in your account. Select a backup to restore from (Messages), then tap RESTORE.
Can I recover deleted text messages android for free?
In case you lost an important message from the phone itself, you can just recover deleted text messages free on Android from any of your backups.
How do I retrieve deleted text messages from my Samsung?
Open the Settings app on your Samsung cellphone. Scroll through all the options and find Cloud and Account. Once you tap on that, go to Samsung Cloud next. There you will be able to access Messages and check the deleted data by tapping on Trash.
Can you get back deleted texts on Samsung?
Although there is no trash bin on Android phones, nor is there an undo option to retrieve deleted text messages, text messages CAN be recovered after they have been deleted from Android.
How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone and Android
Did you just make the mistake of deleting a text message? Another possibility is if you erased a whole chat. Oops. Don’t get too worked up over it just yet. If you frequently back up your phone, there is a chance that you will be able to recover a lost text message. Alternatively, if your phone is not frequently backed up, you may need to bring in recovery software or contact your service provider for assistance. It is discussed in this post how to recover deleted text messages, regardless of whether you are using an iPhone or an Android smartphone.
Before trying to recover deleted text messages
Are you attempting to recover a photo from a lost text message or double-checking an appointment reminder? Check your picture app or your calendar to see what’s going on. Photos and appointments are sometimes automatically synchronized between such applications and the cloud. And, if the option is available, it doesn’t hurt to reach out to the other person in the text discussion before proceeding with the dialogue. They may be able to offer you with a screenshot or a copy of the information you want.
How to recover deleted texts on Android
If you just erased the texts, it’s possible that you’ll be able to recover them. Although it is not assured, the sooner you begin the process of recovering lost text messages, the greater your chances of success are likely to be. Step 1: Enable Airplane Mode on your smartphone. Text messages on an Android phone are not deleted from the phone immediately after they are sent or received. It will be marked as inactive until new data is generated, at which point the removed text will be overwritten with the new data.
Go to Google Drive on your computer’s desktop and look for the date and time when your SMS was most recently backed up.
By accessing Google Drive, you can see when your texts were last backed up and when they were not.
- Google Drive should be opened. Navigate to theMenu, selectSettings, and then Google Backup. The name of your device should be mentioned if it has been backed up
- Otherwise, you should read “Not backed up.” Choose the name of your device from the drop-down menu. SMS Text Messages should be shown, along with a timestamp showing when the most recent backup was performed. You’ll want the backup to be from before you erased the text
- Otherwise, the text will be lost.
By heading to SystemBackup, you can also check when your phone was last backed up in general (and whether or not a backup is now accessible). Step 3: Perform a factory reset on your phone. Unfortunately, you will not be able to simply restore your text messages from Google Drive; instead, you will need to conduct a factory reset, after which you will be able to restore the data from your last backup on your Google Drive account. The navigation will seem different on different Android phones, but in general, you may follow the procedures outlined in the following section.
- By heading to SystemBackup, you can also check when your phone was last backed up (as well as whether or not a backup is now accessible). Reset your phone to its original settings. It is not possible to just restore your text messages from Google Drive, therefore you will need to conduct a factory reset on your device, after which you will be able to restore the data from your most recent Google Drive backup. Various Android phones will have their own navigational interfaces, but in general, you may follow the instructions outlined in this article.
Following a factory reset, follow the onscreen instructions to enter into your Google Drive account and restore the most recent backup you made.
How to retrieve deleted text messages on Android using recovery software
Want to retrieve lost text messages without having to restore your phone to its factory defaults? Install recovery software on your machine and see if it helps. Consider doing this procedure only if you absolutely, positively must recover a deleted text. Recovery software can be prohibitively expensive, and there is no assurance that it would work in your situation. Recovery software can also be dangerous if you are unfamiliar with the technology that is used in the procedure. Some solutions may need root access to your mobile device, which implies that the program would have full access to your phone’s data.
If you want to pursue this approach, avoid installing the program on the same storage drive that previously had your deleted texts because it may overwrite the existing data.
As a result, your phone will not be able to receive any new data, which might potentially overwrite the previously erased messages.
Please remember that you are using any text message recovery program at your own risk. Step 3: Enable USB Debugging on your computer. In this way, your gadget and PC will be able to connect with one another. The steps in the next section will differ based on your Android smartphone.
- Activate Developer Mode by going toSettings > About Phone > Software Information > Build Number periodically until you find that Developer Mode has been enabled. Return to the Settings menu and select Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
Step 4: Launch the recovery software and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process. You will be asked to connect your phone at this point. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Retrieve deleted messages on Android by getting in touch with your phone carrier
Using the recovery program, follow the on-screen directions to complete the process. You’ll be prompted to connect your phone at some point throughout this process. Observe the directions displayed on the screen.
How to recover deleted texts on iPhone without a computer
Step 1: Discontinue sending text messages. In the event that a text message is removed from a phone’s memory, the space where the text was stored is tagged as “unallocated.” The message data will remain in the space until it is overwritten by a new message. Hold off on messaging in order to maximize the likelihood that you will not override the erased text. Step 2: Make sure you have a backup of your data stored on iCloud. If you routinely back up your iPhone using iCloud, it is possible that your deleted texts will be recovered.
- Navigate to theSettings menu. Select your name from the drop-down menu at the top of the screen. Tap oniCloud
- Tap oniCloud backup to enable them. You should be able to determine whether or not it is enabled, as well as when the most recent backup was done.
If everything checks out, you’ll need to restore your iPhone to the most recent backup.
- Go toSettings
- Choose General
- Scroll all the way down to Reset
- And then press OK. Tap onErase All Content and Settings
- Tap onErase Now
- And then tap onErase Now again. When asked, select Restore from iCloud backup once the reset is complete.
Unfortunately, because you’re reverting to a previous version of your data, any data that was produced after the last backup will be lost as a result of this. Anything you want to save should be saved.
How to recover deleted texts on iPhone using Finder on your Mac
It’s possible that you have a copy of your deleted texts on your Mac. You may access your backups using the Finder (this feature is only available on Macs running macOS Catalina). If you don’t have Catalina, you can get it from iTunes. In order to restore the text message from a backup, it must have been taken before the text was removed. Connect your phone to your computer in the first step. Use a USB or USB-C to Lightning cable to connect your devices (depending on your computer). If you receive a notification asking you to enter your passcode or to trust this computer, follow the on-screen instructions.
Choose your iPhone from the left-hand column.
Look through each backup’s date range and select the one that was created before you removed your text.
How to retrieve deleted text messages for iPhone using recovery software
Not interested in restoring your phone in order to recover deleted text messages? Think about saving recovery software on your computer’s desktop, but do so entirely at your own risk. The cost of recovery software is high and it is not guaranteed to function, and most of them will require you to have an iCloud backup, but you will be able to retrieve only the data you are searching for (instead of having to restore your phone). Before proceeding, make sure you’ve done your research and that you’re working with a reputable firm.
Step 1: Save the recovery program to your computer’s desktop.
You should proceed at your own risk if you use any recovery software at all.
Step 2: Connect your phone to your computer using a connection that is suitable with both devices. Make use of the Lightning to USB (or USB-C) connector that came with your iPhone to connect to your computer. Step 3: Comply with the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Retrieve deleted messages on iPhone from your carrier
In an emergency circumstance, your carrier may be able to assist you (e.g., you need the texts as evidence in court). Even if the reason for your request is trivial, it is doubtful that your carrier will retrieve deleted text messages for you, but it doesn’t hurt to inquire if you are interested in attempting to do so. Zipwhip is revolutionizing the way companies and customers connect with one another. We were the first company to offer the option to text to and from a landline, toll-free, or VoIP telephone number, and we have been at the forefront of the business ever since.
How to recover deleted text messages on an iPhone, either from a backup or using a third-party app
- If you need to retrieve essential text messages from your iPhone, you may need to restore your phone from a backup. Alternatively, third-party programs may be used to recover only the text you want without overwriting your whole iPhone
- However, these apps are pricey. More articles may be found on the Business Insider homepage.
Perhaps you wanted to free up some space on your iPhone’s storage. Maybe you’re just a tidy freak, and you purge your phone of all its previous text messages. However, you have accidentally lost an essential text message with a photo of your newborn niece or instructions to a friend’s party, and you require its recovery. The good news is that if you’ve been routinely backing up your iPhone, you should be able to recover your erased text. The bad news is that you may have to delete some of your other data in order to accomplish this.
How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiCloud
It is possible to recover a lost text message from an iCloud backup by doing a complete restore on your phone, which will restore your phone to a time when the text message was still present. The disadvantage of this is that you will almost certainly have to sign back into all of your applications. Depending on how long ago the backup you restore from was created, you may also lose some of the more recent data stored on your phone. 1.Open the Settings app on your phone and select General. 2. Tap your name at the top of the screen.
- 4.Choose iCloud Backup from the drop-down menu.
- Make a backup of your phone before restoring it, as shown in the photo.
- Select “Erase all content and settings” from the menu.
- Photo: Select “Erase Now” from the drop-down menu.
- It will take a few moments before you are met with the iPhone’s initial welcome screen.
- Choosing “Restore from iCloud Backup” from the AppsData screen is step 12.
- Choose the iCloud backup you wish to restore from the list of available backups, each of which has a date associated with it.
How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiTunes
Apple’s iTunes allows you to recover lost text messages from your phone’s backup to your computer while the text you sought was still in your phone’s memory. It’s crucial to note that Apple will soon phase out iTunes on Mac computers in favor of specific music, TV, and podcasting programs, which means that the procedures outlined below may no longer be available to Mac users in the future. Installing a physical cable between your phone and your PC is recommended. 2.If iTunes does not open immediately, click on the icon to open it.
4.SelectSummary from the drop-down menu that appears on the left.
You may change it back after you’ve found the text you’re looking for.
Photo: To use the backup that was made on your computer, select “Restore Backup.” source Business Insider photographer Laura McCamy Please keep in mind that this procedure will not work if you have never backed up your iPhone to your computer, or if you have backed it up when you did not have that text.
Third-party apps for recovering texts on youriPhone
If you feel that these approaches are too drastic, you can use a third-party program to carefully restore just the text you want without overwriting your whole phone’s contents. There are a plethora of programs that can extract only the information you want from your iCloud backup. Keep in mind, too, that you’ll still need a backup copy of the content in case something goes wrong. Here are two applications to take into consideration. Although neither service is free to use, each is a one-time payment rather than a subscription.
- Price for a single license of Phone Rescue by iMobie is $49.99, and the price for a family pack of five licenses is $69.99. It enables you to search through your backups and retrieve only the data that you require that has been removed. This software also offers to assist you in reviving your iPhone if it becomes unresponsive. Enigma Recovery is available for purchase for $59.99 for a single license and $69.99 for a pack of three licenses. For $199.99, you may receive access to an infinite number of downloads. The program will examine your messages and allow you to select which ones you want to recover. If you want to finish the restore, you’ll need theRestore iOSapp, which is available for free.
Related coverage fromHow To DoEverything: Tech:
Is it possible that you mistakenly deleted a text message and now you need to recover it? However, there are various techniques for recovering lost text messages, so there is no need to be concerned! The steps to recover lost texts from an iCloud backup, as well as a few additional tips and tactics for recovering deleted text messages on an iPhone, will be covered in this article.
- Missing Messages on iPhone Can Be Recovered If You Don’t Believe They Were Deleted
- What is the best way to recover deleted iPhone messages using iCloud Recovery? Instructions on how to recover deleted text messages from your iPhone: Restore from Your Computer
- (MacOS Catalina or later)
- ITunes (previous MacOS versions or PC)
- Finder (MacOS Catalina or later)
- In order to recover deleted text messages from your iPhone, contact your service provider. Text Messages Can Be Recovered Using iPhone Applications
Recover Missing Messages from Facebook, WhatsApp, or Messages
It is possible to recover lost text messages or iMessages from your phone’s storage. You may also recover deleted Facebook messages or WhatsApp messages from your phone’s storage by following the techniques outlined below: You can search for old WhatsApp messages, search through Facebook messages, or search for SMS messages in a surprisingly short amount of time. In the event that you want information on how to recover lost texts on iPhone and you are certain that they have been destroyed, continue reading!
How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone with iCloud Recovery
The ability to restore lost text messages from an iPhone using an ICloud backup is a terrific feature. If you routinely back up your iPhone to iCloud, you should be able to use this approach to recover any deleted texts that were accidentally removed from your device. If you haven’t already, you should absolutely start backing up your data to the cloud regularly! The iCloud backup service is an excellent option for backing up a large amount of vital data, not only messages that may be accidentally erased.
First, Check Your Last iCloud Backup
It is essential that the most recent successful backup occurred prior to the deletion of the messages in order to be able to restore them from the iPhone’s deleted messages section. Assuming this is the case, you can retrieve lost text messages by restoring the last successful backup! If it doesn’t work, you’ll have to attempt another approach, such as utilizing your most recent computer backup to recover the lost messages you accidentally destroyed.
- Open the Settings application. At the top of the screen, choose your Apple ID profile. Select iCloud from the drop-down menu. If necessary, scroll down and choose oniCloud Backup. To determine if your last successful backup occurred before or after you deleted the texts from your iPhone, go to Settings > Backup > Last Successful Backup.
The chances are good that the iCloud backup predated the period when the texts were removed from your iPhone. Then proceed to the next step to learn how to recover the deleted texts from an iCloud backup. The computer backup technique should be used if the previous successful backup occurred after the messages were erased from your iPhone. If this is the case, use the computer backup method next.
Restore Deleted Messages on iPhone with iCloud Backup
In order to recover the lost messages, you’ll need to wipe your iPhone and restore it from a backup that was taken before to the deletion of the messages. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Settings application. Scroll down and select General from the drop-down menu. SelectReset at the bottom of the page after scrolling all the way down. SelectErase All Content and Settings from the drop-down menu. Keep in mind that most of your settings will remain intact when you restore your iCloud backup, but you may need to log back into some of your applications. In the confirmation menu that appears, select the second option, which is as follows: Now is the time to erase. The option Backup Then Erase must not be selected, since this would result in the loss of any prior backups and the inability to retrieve any erased text messages. Now that your iPhone has been completely wiped, it will operate as if it were a brand new device. Follow the on-screen prompts until you reach the AppsDatapage
- Then click Finish. On the AppsData screen, select Restore from iCloud Backup as the restore method. Sign in to iCloud and enter any passwords that have been requested by iCloud Backup
- Proceed to Choose backup and then select from a list of available backups in iCloud to complete the process. Other than the backup you checked before starting, there may be even older backups available for you to select from. Select the most recent text message that was sent before the text messages were deleted. Please keep in mind that the older a backup is, the more probable it is that it will not contain any other essential data that you have added to your iPhone since the backup was created. It’s possible that you’ll have to enter into all of your accounts again when your iPhone is restored.
Upon completion of this process, check to see if you have successfully retrieved the lost text messages from your iPhone. If this is the case, go to the next section.
How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone: Restore from Your Computer
Not to worry if the previous technique of recovering lost text messages did not work; there is another method of retrieving deleted text messages that involves utilizing your computer. If you have been making frequent backups to your computer, you should be able to view any stored messages via your local backups, in a manner similar to how you can recover deleted messages from aniCloud backup on your iPhone. Therefore, even if you have automatic iCloud backups set, it is suggested that you frequently back up your iPhone to your computer.
Important: It’s conceivable that you have deactivated this aspect of the PC / Mac synchronization procedure, in which case you may not be able to read your text messages from this location.
First, Disable Find My iPhone
The first thing you must do before restoring your iPhone from a computer backup is to disable the Find My iPhone function by logging into your Apple account and entering your Apple ID and password. A Finder or iTunes backup cannot be restored when Find My iPhone is turned on and active. This is intended to prevent someone from restoring a stolen iPhone from a backup they have created. This is followed by theFindermethod (for Mac OS X Catalina or later) or theiTunesmethod, depending on your preference (for older macOS versions and PCs).
- Open the Settings application. At the top of the screen, choose your Apple ID profile. ToggleFind My iPhone off by tappingFind My iPhone
- Then tapFind My iPhone on. In order to proceed, you’ll need to enter your Apple ID password.
Then, connect your iPhone to the computer that you use to sync it with your PC. It is possible to restore from iTunes if you are using an earlier version of macOS or if you have a computer that is not compatible with macOS. It is possible to restore from Finder if you have Mac OS X Catalina or later installed on your computer.
Restore Your iPhone from Finder (macOS Catalina or later) to Recover Deleted Messages
- If asked, selectTrust to enable your iPhone to trust and connect with this computer
- Otherwise, selectNo. After connecting your iPhone to your Mac, it should display in Finder under the Locations folder. To use it, simply click on it. A list of backups stored on your computer will show when you clickManage Backups. If you do not see any accessible backups, you will not be able to restore your iPhone from your computer
- Nonetheless, continue reading for further suggestions. Check the list to verify sure the most recent backup was produced before you deleted those text messages, but after you sent them if you do find older backups. If this is the case, click OK. You’re now ready to begin the restoration process. SelectRestore iPhone from the drop-down menu.
This procedure is time-consuming, especially if the backup is substantial in size. As long as your backup was created after the text messages were received and before they were deleted, you should be able to recover them using this method. Simply follow the on-screen instructions, and the iPhone will be restored to its previously backed-up form. After following the steps above and still being unable to recover the lost text messages from your iPhone, it may be necessary to contact your phone service provider to see if they have any suggestions on how to recover deleted text messages from an iPhone.
Restore Your iPhone with iTunes to Recover Deleted Text Messages (PC or macOS Mojaveearlier)
If you have a PC or are running macOS Mojave or an earlier version of the operating system on your Mac, you can attempt this approach to recover lost texts from your iPhone. However, if you have synced with this PC or Mac since removing your text messages, this approach will not work since iTunes only stores the most recent backup data for the purpose of restoring your phone’s data.
The following approach should successfully restore your lost text messages to your Messages app if you have not synced with iTunes after you erased them.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer that you use to sync it on a regular basis. iTunes will launch on its own own. If not, simply double-click the software to launch it. In the top-left corner of the screen, next to the drop-down menu, click the phone symbol to call someone. Otherwise, your iPhone is presumably not linked to your computer
- If it isn’t there, your iPhone is probably not connected to your computer. Make certain that you are on theSummarypage. To restore the data that has been backed up from your iPhone, including your deleted text messages, you will need to select Restore Backup from the drop-down menu. You may need to change your backup choices (located on the left-hand side of this page) from iCloud to This Computer if this option is grayed out on your computer. After you have recovered your iPhone, you may always modify this back to your liking.
If you have a large amount of data stored on your phone or Mac, this procedure may take a long time. In the hopes that you now have access to the lost texts, continue reading for further information on how to recover deleted text messages from your phone’s memory.
Recover Deleted Texts: Contact Your Cell Phone Service Provider
In rare cases, you may be able to recover lost text messages by calling your cellular service provider for assistance. It is possible that they will have access to backups from time to time if they have not been overwritten or updated. If you find yourself in a tight spot and really need messages returned, I recommend contacting them first before resorting to a third-party app or taking any other harsh measures. Since there are unlikely to be accurate menu suggestions to direct you to the appropriate department when you call, you’ll need to ask for technical help first, followed by an inquiry to talk with a person.
Recover Deleted Text Messages: iPhone Apps
We recommend that you use this method only as a last option if you want to recover deleted texts from your iPhone. It is possible to recover lost files and text messages from your iPhone using third-party apps, but they might be risky to use because they are not always reliable. Make sure you thoroughly read the reviews to assist you determine the validity of any app you are considering utilizing. In general, I would avoid using any of these programs to recover lost text messages, but if you find yourself in a tight spot and have no other option, there are a couple that have received positive ratings and are widely used online.
Even reliable sources on the internet should be carefully studied before you jump right in out of desperation since there are no assurances and you are putting yourself at the mercy of these programs and their authors.
If you’ve used a text message recovery app, we’d love to hear about your experience with it, as well as your thoughts on it.
How to recover deleted text messages on your Android phone
The Android Authority is a project led by Dhruv Bhutani. The feeling of having an important SMS message accidentally erased is one that you never get accustomed to experiencing. What are you going to do now? Users who are desperate to save those critical communications will go to any length to do so. The process of recovering lost messages is complicated, but it is possible with a little patience and perseverance.
The possibilities of getting those priceless text messages returned are good, and we can assist you in getting them back! More: The top ten SMS and messaging applications for Android devices.
A little about how deletion and storage works
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes Have you ever heard someone remark that when you remove files from your computer, they don’t necessarily disappear from your computer? This is correct. All of those data are tucked away someplace on the hard drive, ready to be recovered. or deleted entirely. In fact, this is exactly what occurs with Android devices as well. Everything we remove, including SMS messages, remains in the system until a sufficient amount of time has passed or until additional storage space is required for other data.
- Once we understand how deletion works, it isn’t a particularly difficult idea to grasp.
- Related: Which microSD cards for Android are the most effective?
- In other words, it is rendered inconspicuous and easily replaced.
- In other words, if you need to retrieve a text message, you should refrain from using your phone for a period of time because the message may be irreversibly erased after some time.
Carriers often have all your texts stored
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes Although this is not always a solution, it is nevertheless knowledge that may be useful in some situations. After further investigation, it was discovered that many wireless carriers retain your text messaging logs and other data for a long length of time. The only problem is that they are unlikely to provide such information to you just because you erased anything by mistake on your computer. Some carriers, on the other hand, may be willing to work with law enforcement if necessary.
- This, however, will not be of assistance to the majority of us, so let’s move on to what you can do to get outcomes.
- Some wireless providers have their own messaging applications, which can be backed up to the cloud in some cases.
- They even provide a web application and desktop software so that you may read your texts from any location.
- It may be worthwhile to check your backups and messaging applications on other devices if you have ever accidentally deleted an SMS while using one of these services.
Use data recovery software
So everything has gone missing, and you want to restore your texts. It may be possible to recover them using data recovery software, which will analyze your phone for deleted material and restore whatever content may still be there on it. Simple Google searches will turn up several data recovery tools for Android-based smartphones and tablets. Some are free, while others are not; nevertheless, many paid ones still include a free trial period prior to purchase. Android Data Recovery, Dr. Fone, Tenorshare UltData, and FonePaw are just a few of the most well-known recovery programs.
- Simply download and install the application on your computer, then launch it.
- The program will be included with comprehensive instructions.
- Imel, David (android authority.com) As you’ve just seen, this whole process of retrieving deleted text messages isn’t really plain forward.
- You’ve finally gotten rid of the dreaded object.
Regardless, the most effective method to tackle a problem is to avoid it in the first place. Many programs are available to assist you in backing up your text messages as well as other material. Let’s have a look at a few examples of them. More information:Backing up your Android phone
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes Google Drive is a fantastic cloud storage service that can be used for much more than just storing your papers and random files. You may use it to store backup copies of your text messages. Because it is a feature of the official Android backup service, we can all take advantage of it. Instructions for backing up your text messages to Google Drive are as follows:
- Navigate to your Android phone’sSettingsapp
- Tap onBackup
- ToggleBackup to Google Driveon
- And then press the Back up now button.
Please keep in mind that these instructions were written on an aPixel 4a with 5G running Android 12. Keep in mind that the procedures you take may change based on the device and software you’re working with.
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes
How to recover deleted text messages on iPhone
Despite the fact that text messages have a reputation for being casual and insignificant, they may contain really important information! In the event that you mistakenly erased a text to free up space on your iPhone and realized afterwards that you had done so, there is still hope. Recovery of a deleted text message can be accomplished by one of three methods: Several options exist for recovering your iPhone from the point at which the message was erased. You may be able to contact your phone carrier, and you may be able to utilize a third-party program.
Recover deleted texts using an iCloud backup
This is most likely the quickest and most straightforward method of recovering deleted text. If you have an iCloud backup from before the period when you deleted the text, you should be able to restore your phone to that iCloud backup and restore the text back to your phone. Check to check if your most recent iCloud backup was taken before you erased your text message. If it was, you can restore it. OpenSettings, selectiCloudManage StorageBackups from the drop-down menu that appears at the top of the screen.
You may also restore a backup from a previous backup.
During the process of restoring from your iCloud backup, you’ll have to restore your iPhone back to its factory settings and set it up again from the ground up.
To reset your iPhone, navigate to GeneralResetErase All Content and Settings from the Home screen.
Recover deleted texts from an iTunes or Finder backup
iTunes allows you to back up your iPhone to your PC or Mac if you don’t want to rely on automated iCloud backups or if you don’t have enough iCloud storage space for them (or Finder inmacOS Catalinaor later). Using this approach, much like with the previous iCloud option, you must first create a backup of your phone from before you erased the message, then reset your phone and restore from that backup. You’ll lose anything that happened after the backup was made. Connect your iPhone to the PC or Mac on which you’ve made a backup of it.
To use the Finder on a Mac running macOS Catalina or later, launch it.
If you’re using a Mac running macOS Catalina or later, open Finder and pick your device from the left-hand menu bar.
This means that all of the data you previously backed up will now be overwritten by the data on your phone.
It will just take a few moments. In case you haven’t backed up your phone after deleting those text messages, they should suddenly surface in your phone’s messaging list as a result of the deletion.
Restore deleted texts by contacting your carrier
iTunes allows you to back up your iPhone to your computer or Mac if you don’t want to rely on automated iCloud backups or if you don’t have enough iCloud storage space (or Finder inmacOS Catalinaor later). Using this approach, much like with the previous iCloud option, you must first create a backup of your phone from before you erased the message, then reset your phone and restore from the backup. Following the backup, you will lose everything. To back up your iPhone, connect it to the PC or Mac that you used to do the backup.
- Open Finder on your Mac running macOS Catalina or later.
- If you’re using a Mac running macOS Catalina or later, open Finder and choose your device from the menu bar on the left.
- It is now possible to restore all of the data you previously backed up on your phone.
- You should now be able to see those text messages in your phone’s messaging list if you haven’t backed them up after deleting them.
Restore deleted texts using a third-party app
Many third-party software programs are available that claim to be able to recover deleted data from your iPhone, including text messages that have been erased. A little risky, because they’re nearly never free, and there’s no assurance that they will actually work. However, if you’ve tried all other choices and the situation is really critical, it could be worth a chance. PhoneRescue, Wondershare Dr. Fone, and Tenorshare UltData are just a few of the software solutions that have earned a positive reputation on the internet.
This may be due to the fact that one of the applications may be able to restore it.
For additional information, please see our affiliate link policy.
What I like doing is figuring out how intricate technology works and then explaining it in a way that everybody can comprehend.
How to back up and restore text messages on Android
Google automatically backs up your messages, but if you want greater control over where they’re kept or if you want to make a manual backup, you’ll have to rely on an other provider to accomplish your goals. Fortunately, there are a plethora of free choices accessible, and it is simple to get things up and running.
Products used in this guide
- SMS BackupRestore (available for free from the Google Play Store) is a great way to keep everything safe.
How to automatically back up your SMS messages to Google Drive
SMS messages and other personal data are automatically backed up to Google Drive, which makes it easy to retrieve your data if you move to a new phone.
The negative is that the data is locked to Google Drive, previous backups will be erased over time, and you will not be able to restore an earlier backup to your phone at your leisure as you would with other backup services.
- To reveal the notification shade, swipe down from the top of the screen. The Settingsicon should be selected
- Swipe up to navigate to the bottom of the settings screen. Android Central is the source of this information. Tap Google
- Tap Back up
- Tap Back up now to begin. Android Central is the source of this information.
It will display on the main menu of Google Drive, and you will also be able to access the Google backup settings from inside your account’s Settings section of Google Drive settings. An exception is MMS media, which is not included in this basic backup service; however, as part of a Google One membership, you may have access to this service. In addition, if you’ve realized that you’re running out of storage space on your Google Drive, the $2 a month may be more than worth it when you consider that it also allows you to store up all of the memories and memes you’ve shared by text message.
How to automatically backup your SMS messages with a third-party app
If you don’t want to rely on Google Backup for your SMS backups, there are various cloud services that can back up your SMS messages and restore them to your phone when you need them. This is the app we recommend: SMS BackupRestore, which is available for free download from the Google Play Store.
- Start the Google Play Store by selecting it from your home screen or app drawer. Select SMS Backup and Restore from the search field
- SMS Backup and Restoreby SyncTech Pty Ltd should appear at the top of the results list. Using the InstallSource: Android Central option, tap Open
- Then tap Get Started. The software will ask for permission to access your contacts, make and manage phone calls, access your phone call logs, access images, media, and files, as well as send and see SMS messages on your smartphone, before it can function properly. All of these may be enabled by tappingAllow. Android Central is the source of this information. Tap Create a backup plan
- Choose what you want to back up, focusing on specific messages (after all, that’s why you’re here, isn’t it?). Media and group communications may be be backed up using the Advanced Options, which can be configured to back up all messages or simply certain discussions. Once you’re finished, press Next
- You’ll be prompted to choose a cloud storage provider to which you’ll upload your data. You have the option of using Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. Android Central is the source of this information. TapLog in to link your chosen cloud storage provider as your backup storage location by entering your credentials. You may also specify whether you want older messages to be automatically erased after a certain number of days in this section. Following your successful login, you can submit a test file to ensure that everything is functioning properly. When you’re finished, tapSave. You’ll now be presented with upload choices, from which you may pick whether to back up your messages over Wi-Fi and/or while the phone is charging. Source: Android Central
- You will now be able to choose when you want your data to be backed up. You may choose between daily, weekly, and hourly choices. Advanced settings are available here, including the ability to choose an exact time when you want your planned backups to occur, as well as the ability to turn off the alerts that inform you when a backup has been completed
- TapBack up now. Android Central is the source of this information.
If you choose to simply back up your messages locally, you’ll see a notification informing you that you run the risk of losing your backups if your device is lost or damaged in any way. If you have backups configured to be saved in the default internal storage, you’ll be reminded to transfer them to an external storage device if you decide to change phones in the future. Your text message chats will now be automatically backed up to wherever you have chosen to store them in the future!
How to restore your SMS messages with SMS BackupRestore
Once you’ve backed up your SMS messages (again, if you’ve just discovered this page and haven’t backed up your messages in any way, you’re effectively out of luck), you may restore them to a new device or the same device that you originally had them on.
- LaunchSMS BackupRestorefrom your home screen or app drawer
- Choose the backups you wish to restore by selecting the ticks next to them. According to what you decided to back up, you may be able to access both call records and SMS messages from your phone. Android Central is the source of this information. To access the SMS messages backup, click on the arrow next to it. If you have numerous backups stored and wish to restore a single backup, choose it by tapping Restore
- Then select OK. It is stated in this information box that, in order to recover your messages, you will be required to temporarily change your default messaging app to SMS Backup and Restore. Android Central is the source of this information. TapYes. Your messages and/or call records will begin to be restored
- After the restoration process is complete, tapClose.
That’s all there is to it! Your messages (and maybe even your phone logs) have been returned to their original state! The same methods should work if you’ve elected to backup your data to the cloud. If you’ve decided to restore your data to a new phone, the same processes should work as well. Because the information is kept in an XML file, it is compatible with any Android smartphone, regardless of its manufacturer or model. However, if you are in the market for a new phone, the following are the best affordable Android phones available right now.
Back up your data
Set it and forget it until you’re in a position to restore it. To ensure that your messages and call records are regularly backed up so that you may restore them when you transfer devices, one software is all that is required. If you make a purchase after clicking on one of our links, we may receive a commission. More information is available here: http://www.cnn.com/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/cnn/c