Afk means away from keyboard, a phrase that lets others know that you won’t be at your computer for a while. It’s commonly used with another abbreviation—brb (be right back)—to indicate that you’re taking a short break. The term afk developed as a bit of chat room etiquette in the 1990s, when IRC was at its peak.
- 1 What is the AFK Emoji?
- 2 What does ROFL mean in texting?
- 3 What do UwU mean?
- 4 Is AFK a bad word?
- 5 Is OwO furry or Weeb?
- 6 Is UwU a flirt?
- 7 Is UwU a furry word?
- 8 What does ABC mean in Roblox?
- 9 What do XD mean in Roblox?
- 10 What does AFK mean in lol?
- 11 What is AFK’s meaning? The history behind the internet acronym and and how to use it in a chat
- 12 AFK’s meaning
- 13 AFK’s origin
- 14 Examples of how to use AFK
- 15 Urban Dictionary: Afk
- 16 Definition of AFK
- 17 Origin ofAFK
- 18 Words nearbyAFK
- 19 Where doesAFKcome from?
- 20 How isAFKused in real life?
- 21 British Dictionary definitions forAFK
- 22 AFK Meaning Plus When and How to Use it – INK Blog
- 23 AFK Meaning
- 24 What Does AFK Stand For?
- 25 Is AFK a Bad Word?
- 26 What Does AFK Mean in Text?
- 27 How Do You Use AFK in a Sentence?
- 28 AFK Meaning Gone Wrong: AFK Typos
- 29 Wait! Try This Quiz First Before you go AFK!
- 30 Origin of AFK
- 31 AFK in gaming
- 32 AFK
- 33 A Video Summary
- 34 Summary of Key Points
- 35 Image for AFK
- 36 Example of AFK Used in a Text
- 37 See Also
- 38 What Does “AFK” Mean, and How Do You Use It?
- 39 What It Means
- 40 The Origins of AFK
- 41 AFK in Online Gaming
- 42 How to Use AFK
- 43 What Does AFK Mean and How Do I Use It?
- 44 What Does “AFK” Mean?
- 45 Other Meanings
- 46 What does AFK Stand For? 62 meanings of AFK by Acronymsandslang.com
- 47 AFK Meaning: What Does AFK Mean and Stand for?
- 48 AFK Meaning
- 49 AFK Meaning Infographic
- 50 How AFK Is Used
- 51 Examples of AFK
- 52 Expressions Similar to AFK
- 53 How to Capitalize and Punctuate Web and Texting Abbreviations
- 54 Recommended Etiquette for Using Web and Texting Jargon
- 55 What does AFK mean in gaming?
- 56 What does AFK stand for?
- 57 Know what isAFK? Got another good explanation forAFK? Don’t keep it to yourself!
- 58 What does AFK mean? AFK Definition. Meaning of AFK. OnlineSlangDictionary.com
- 59 AFK
- 60 Related words
- 61 How common is this slang?
- 62 How vulgar is this slang?
- 63 Where is this slang used?
- 64 Link to this slang definition
- 65 What is Away From Keyboard (AFK)? – Definition from Techopedia
- 66 Techopedia Explains Away From Keyboard (AFK)
- 67 Internet Slang
What is the AFK Emoji?
AFK or BRB??? AFK – away from keyboard.
What does ROFL mean in texting?
ROFL (or ROTFL) — ” rolling on the floor laughing ” (a reply to something extremely amusing).
What do UwU mean?
Uwu is an emoticon depicting a cute face. It is used to express various warm, happy, or affectionate feelings. A closely related emoticon is owo, which can more specifically show surprise and excitement. There are many variations of uwu and owo, including and OwO, UwU, and OwU, among others.
Is AFK a bad word?
Is AFK a Bad Word? No, AFK is not a bad word. However, since this acronym is slang, it may not be appropriate in a more formal setting. With that said, it’s common practice to use AFK in workplaces that tend to have a less formal atmosphere.
Is OwO furry or Weeb?
The emoticon has been popular in the furry fandom. It also has a more surprised and sometimes allusive variant, OwO (also associated with the furry fandom and often the response, “what’s this?”) that may too denote cuteness, as well as curiosity and perplexion.
Is UwU a flirt?
“UwU” can also be used to signify relaxation; as a way to flirt; “same”; “cool”; to be condescending; smug, or when you can’t think of a response but don’t want to be rude and not say anything. In the furry community, it can also be considered foreplay. “UwU” also became a popular song.
Is UwU a furry word?
Usage in furry fandom The uwu emoticon is especially popular among furries, as the “w” can be seen to resemble an animal’s nose. Furries are people fascinated by anthropomorphic animals, and they often dress like (and have sex as) them.
What does ABC mean in Roblox?
The letters “ABC” don’t stand for anything. It’s just a phrase to let other players know they’re up for a job or task. For example, if player 1 said “abc for a dog”, player 2 would respond “abc” if he wanted to be player 1’s dog.
What do XD mean in Roblox?
XD/xd – An emoticon. When capitalized, it is showing laughter.
What does AFK mean in lol?
“AFK” means ” Away From Keyboard “. It therefore means that the player is no longer playing the game but their attention is elsewhere while they are still connected to the internet and therefore, the game.
What is AFK’s meaning? The history behind the internet acronym and and how to use it in a chat
- In typing shorthand, AFK is an abbreviation for “away from keyboard.” In certain cases, it might be taken literally, while in others, it can just suggest that you are not online. When you’re in a community online place and need a quick method to indicate that you’re taking a break, the word “AFK” may be really useful. More stories may be found in Insider’s Tech Reference collection
- Click here.
Sensation out of the loop is never a pleasant experience, and seeing acronyms commonly used on the internet may easily exacerbate that feeling. However, spending a few seconds to become familiar with them might help you transmit information more swiftly. One of these abbreviations is AFK. To comprehend and apply this acronym in your online life, you need be familiar with the following terms and concepts:
“Away from keyboard” is an abbreviation that stands for “away from keyboard.” However, it is primarily intended to communicate the message that you will not be available at your computer or gadget for an extended length of time. You may use it in conjunction with a time period to signal how long you intend to be away from your computer.
Because of its popularity in chat rooms during the early days of internet culture, the AFK moniker has been around for quite a while. It can even be traced back to a 1989 internet news broadcast from FidoNews, when it appeared among other emoticons and acronyms. The term “away from keys” was defined in the newsletter. It became more popular in the gaming world, particularly for online multiplayer games. Even though it is no longer widely available, it may still be found in a variety of places on the internet.
The term has had a brief rebirth in recent years, courtesy to the game “Among Us,” in which idle gamers are sometimes referred to as “AFK.” Oct.
Examples of how to use AFK
AFK is a simple abbreviation to incorporate into your online slang vocabulary, just like any other. Example: If you’re taking a little break, you may enter “going afk brb” into your text message (read as: “going away from keyboard, be right back”). Alternatively, if a buddy is concerned about the whereabouts of another member of the group, you may say “she’s afk” to swiftly inform them that person is not online. Devon Delfino is a freelance journalist living in Brooklyn who specializes on personal finance, culture, politics, and identity.
Published in magazines such as The Los Angeles Times, Teen Vogue, Entrepreneur, and CNBC, her work has garnered national attention.
Urban Dictionary: Afk
This phrase is used in online gaming and literally means “Away From Keyboard.” When someone is passive, this phrase is used to indicate this. I got booted out of the game for being absentminded. byT8rt0t October 02, 2018FlagGet an Afk mug for your Facebook friend Helena to show her how much you care. It is a method to get away from the keyboard. Imabeafkkk? byihatetheusernamepart The 8th of January in the year 2021 Get your father-in-law an Afk mug to commemorate the occasion. Bob. afk: away from keyboard, merely implying that they may not be able to react to you if you contact them.
- His presence is absent, and he has moved away from the keyboard.
- byBobtheninga3 Afkmug for your sister Nathalie.
- Afraidoffriedknishes I intended to take him to a deli, but he’s afkbySpeziak Montgomery, like many of his family members.
- When someone is so oblivious to their surroundings that they do not move while playing a first-person shooter.
- 2.Keep your hands away from the keyboard.
- What an AFK, he isn’t even moving.
- ‘He isn’t moving, therefore I’m going to presume he’s AFK’ byDespairChild Get an Afk mug for your Uncle Günter on July 06, 2004.
- Joeis is away from the keyboard (afkbyAnonymous).
- November 08, 2002FlagGet an aafk mug for your friend Julia.
- When a person intends to leave the computer without doing anything, this phrase is used.
Bob – Thank you for your time “Is John in the room with us? John? JOHN.” “Don’t worry, he’s out of the office.” byHipstacat The 16th of May, 2013Flag Get an AFK mug for your Facebook buddy Rihanna.12345, or send it to someone else. Next Last » is the last position.
Definition of AFK
Away from the keyboard, an abbreviation (most commonly used in texting and messaging). QUIZ IS IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO BE A TRUE BLUE CHAMPION OF THESE “BLUE” SYNONYMS? Despite the fact that we could chat about this quiz until we’re blue in the face about the color “blue,” we believe that you should take the quiz and find out whether or not you’re a wiz at these colorful terminology. What one of the following adjectives best depicts the color “sky blue”?
Its use in streaming chat, particularly as a notification to others in online gaming conversation, to signify that a member is missing, has temporarily ceased watching chat, or has temporarily stopped playing till further notice, has gained popularity.
Afield, afikomen, afire, AFIS, fish out of water, a, AFK, AFL, aflame, aflatoxicosis, aflatoxin, AFL-CIODictionary.com, a, AFK, AFL, aflame, aflatoxicosis, aflatoxin, Unabridged Random House, Inc. 2022, based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Random House, Inc. AFKis is abbreviation for away from keyboard for when you are not actively using a computer. It is frequently used in chat rooms of massively multiplayer online games (MMOG). What is the correct way to pronounce AFK?
Where doesAFKcome from?
AFK, which is often spelled as the lowercaseafk, may be traced back to 1989, when the online periodical Fidonetlisted it among a few other old-school internet acronyms, like brbandlol. AFK was utilized in IRC (Internet Relay Chat), which was an early application for internet conversing at the time. People would use the abbreviation in order for others to understand why they weren’t replying to messages: they were away from their computer keyboard, or keys, for example. Members of the gaming community began usingAFKin in-game chat rooms for players who wereidling when massively multiplayer online games (MMOGs) were popular in the 1990s.
How isAFKused in real life?
AFK is most commonly used in situations where there is immediate communication, such as in chat rooms, texting, and online gaming, among other places. Although it is less prevalent, it does emerge on social media, but it is usually in the context of a gaming-related message. AFKis a term that is frequently used as a modifier (goingorbeingAFK). People who are frequently absent from their daily lives are known as asAFKs. I’m going to be absent from the game for the rest of the night. the absurdist Jaguar Absurdity (@JaguarAbsurdity) on September 19, 2018 (I was absent-minded, to put it mildly.) CLEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN HEADSHOT Fortnitepic.twitter.com/vdk63QvYZx — Tobe Jorgensen (@Tobe JorgeRO) The 19th of September, 2018 I finished first in gold in my debut season, then peaked in plat 1 promotion, followed by back-to-back plat 5 finishes.
The worst thing is that I can’t even point the finger at trolls or individuals who are afk.
As opposed to that, it is an informal summary that aims to give supplementary information and context that is crucial to know or keep in mind regarding the term’s historical development, meaning, and use.
British Dictionary definitions forAFK
2012 Digital Edition of the Collins English Dictionary – Complete Unabridged Edition (William Collins SonsCo. Ltd. 1979, 1986) In 1998, HarperCollinsPublishers published the following books: 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2012.
AFK Meaning Plus When and How to Use it – INK Blog
The main takeaways from AFK are as follows:
- AFKis is abbreviation that stands for “away from keyboard.” It is commonly used in messaging and gaming to notify others that you will not be accessible until further notice. Some individuals also use the abbreviation AFKN, which stands for “away from keyboard now.” More than likely, the termIFKwas written as a mistake when the user intended to writeAFK
- The termsIFK andAFK are quite similar in appearance but are completely different in meaning. It is possible that IFK stands for either “indirect free kick” or “bug flying killer.” When used in a casual atmosphere, AFK is most effective
- Nevertheless, it may not be acceptable in more formal situations such as work or school.
Perfect use of punctuation Grammar and syntax are only the beginning. INK is the world’s smartest content editor, and it can help you eliminate errors, generate subject ideas, enhance productivity, and outrank your rivals. Free Access to the Most Effective Writing Tool The world’s first AI-powered online content optimization technology designed exclusively for writers SMS shorthand may be bewildering, whether you’re new to the gaming industry or have only recently seen this abbreviation in a text message for the first time.
LMK If you have any questions, please let us know!
It is not suitable to use this abbreviation in official circumstances, such as while communicating with your immediate boss at work.
AFK is an abbreviation for “away from keyboard.” Use the abbreviation or the entire phrase to notify people when you will not be at your computer or able to react for a specified length of time, such as when traveling. AFK is a term that was first used by online gamers to denote that the player is no longer active. AFK is frequently used in conjunction with BRB (” be right back “).
What Does AFK Stand For?
AFK is an abbreviation meaning “away from keyboard.” This word originates from the culture of online gaming, and it is used to notify other players when you are unavailable or temporarily inactive. You can use the AFK command to notify others that you’re taking a little break from your computer when you need to step away for a short amount of time. Furthermore, the phrases “ask for clarification” and “be right back” are frequently used combined.
Is AFK a Bad Word?
No, “AFK” is not a derogatory term. In more professional settings, however, because this abbreviation represents slang, it may not be suitable in some situations. Having stated that, it is standard practice to useAFK in places of employment where there is a less formal tone. The fact that the term “Away From Keyboard” is solely informative makes this much more relevant to the situation.
What Does AFK Mean in Text?
“Away from keyboard” signifies the same thing in writing as it does in online or gaming situations: “away from the computer.” Other people will understand that you are stepping away but have not officially signed off. As a result, useAFK when you need to quickly notify people that you are taking a break and won’t be responding right away. You may not be aware of what is going on if you just stop replying to queries since your discussion partner cannot see what is going on. AFKis a nice way of apologizing for your absence and informing everyone that you aim to return.
It is not necessary to spell out AFK, nor is it necessary to wait for a response. Sending an AFK message to your pals while playing online with them will let them know that you’re taking a break without leaving the game.
How Do You Use AFK in a Sentence?
AFK may be used in a variety of situations as seen in the following examples: How to Make Use of the AFK Like a Pro:
- When you need to get something done quickly but don’t want to leave people hanging, enter three small characters and you’re out of trouble
- You may useAFK to notify friends that you will not be able to read their messages for a period of time
- Informally, AFK is more suited for social occasions, but it may not be good for business or school settings. You have the option of capitalizing all three letters or keeping them lowercase.
There are a plenty of ways to include AFK into a phrase. When compared to other text-based acronyms such as BRB and OMG, AFK is short and to the point. UsingAFK in formal situations is not usually suitable, although it may be permissible in specific circumstances. Then, in a video conference, you may typeAFK to let your colleagues know that you will not be participating in the conversation as planned. For example, you might log off using the AFKon Facebook page or in an IRC chat room, as seen in the screenshot.
When it comes to the actual world, the only place you should avoid using phrases like AFK and theAFK connotation is on the internet.
AFK is a chat/text slang term that refers to being away from the keyboard.
AFK Meaning Gone Wrong: AFK Typos
We take great satisfaction in our ability to type swiftly at times. However, we must acknowledge that when we type quickly, we are more prone to making mistakes than we would prefer. This is especially true when something unexpected occurs and we need to take a break from the computer quickly. As a result, it’s possible that you received anIFK when anAFK would have made more sense in your situation. Most likely,IFKwas typed incorrectly when the user intended to say AFK instead. There are a variety of alternative “oops” abbreviations that people can inadvertently use in place of AFKtoo.
Most of the time, these mistakes are nothing more than a slip of the finger.
The most essential thing is that we avoid misconceptions and are able to explain our objectives clearly and effectively.
What Does IFK Mean in a Text?
There are two out of three letters in IFK and AFK that are precisely the same. Despite this, the meanings of these acronyms are entirely different. Instead of the abbreviation AFK, which stands for “away from keyboard,” IFK is an acronym that may signify either “indirect free kick” or “insect flying killer.” It is a soccer expression to refer to a “indirect free kick.” It refers to a goal attempt in which the ball must be touched by a second player before it may be scored. The insect flying killer is amusing, but it doesn’t appear to have any practical significance.
Despite its long history, text messaging did not gain popularity until several decades after its inception.
It’s one of those abbreviations: AFK (as in “ask for help”). Forget about the question of “What is AFK?” You now know everything there is to know about theAFK meaning. You can now relax and enjoy Taco Tuesday or get rid of that controller cramp without having to worry about being interrupted.
Wait! Try This Quiz First Before you go AFK!
Correct!Oops! That is just inaccurate. The correct answer is D. Originally, online gamers used the abbreviation “AFK” — Away from Keyboard — to denote that they were idle. Correct!Oops! That is just inaccurate. The correct response is FALSE. After issuing the “AFK” command, you are no longer need to wait for a response. Correct!Oops! That is just inaccurate. The correct answer is C. The only area where you should not use phrases like “AFK” is in the actual world, of course. Correct!Oops! That is just inaccurate.
- If “IFK” is an abbreviation, it might refer to two different things: “indirect free kick” or “insect flying killer.” Correct!Oops!
- The correct answer is D.
- Not too shabby!
- Reread the article and give it another go.
Read More: LMAO Meaning And How To Look Good When You Use It
In spite of the fact that it was launched in 2018, The Last of Us has climbed the normal arch of a viral trend to become one of the defining independent games of the year 2020. The success of the murder mystery app among Twitch streaming stars (coupled with our pandemic-era desire for distraction) propelled Among Usto to international prominence. Millions of players have joined the game, many of which have created memes based on in-game lingo such as ” sus “. (a shortened form of suspicious with its owncomplex backstory).
Twitter users have inquired as to what “AFK” implies in the context of ‘Among Us.’ Twitter Most of the time, someone who uses the acronym inAmong Usis attempting to inform you that they will be taking a break from their computer or phone for a period of time.
Among Us begins with players being assigned to one of two roles: either a “Crewmate,” who must remain alive long enough to fulfill a list of duties, or a “Imposter,” who is attempting to murder the crew members.
Due to the widespread disapproval of this dishonest method, there are memes circulating online about how anybody who pretends to be AFK is immediately suspect.
The ‘Among Us’ AFK tactic has gotten so prevalent that many players are suspicious of anyone who claims to be AFK in the game anymore. Bikini-Related Memes
Origin of AFK
Back in the 1980s and 1990s, it was necessary to have a keyboard in order to utilize the internet. AFK is a throwback to that period. The web was still in its infancy at the time, and individuals would mostly utilize dial-up bulletin board systems — such as FidoNet — to send emails and participate in public discussion forums. It was very popular at the time, so much so that community management began producing a weekly newsletter — dubbed FidoNews — in 1984 as a method of keeping people informed and igniting discussion among members.
AFK, which stands for “Away From Keys,” was featured on the list.
FidoNews By this point, AFK was probably being used on other bulletin board systems, but FidoNews was the first to incorporate term into the vernacular of early internet adopters.
As a result, AFK immediately gained popularity and expanded to other parts of the internet.
AFK in gaming
It was largely to multi-user dungeons such as Kesmai (1985) and Habitat (1990) that the first online role-playing games came into being (1986). However, just as FidoNet began to gain traction, a slew of more graphically complex massively multiplayer online role-playing games began to hit the market, bringing the total number of participants in these pioneering virtual worlds down to around 100 per server. Neverwinter Nights (1991) is widely regarded as the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game to push visuals beyond the multi-user dungeon period and expand server capacity to hundreds of players.
- AFK was initially used in a gaming setting, however there is no documented record of when this first took place.
- “Away From Keyboard: commonly used in online gaming when someone is not moving, it is thought that they are afk,” they explained in their article.
- A fast “AFK” in the chat is a simple method to let their friends know they’ll be gone for a short period of time in MMORPGs, which may be particularly useful when players are committing a significant amount of time to the game’s quests and dungeons.
- Kaleb Naibaho is an American football player.
- Because there are numerous other players that are reliant on everyone else on the team, it has become standard gaming etiquette to excuse oneself by using the abbreviation “AFK.” A new chapter in the lengthy history of AFK has now been written by Among Us.
It has been transformed from a courteous approach to inform your companions that you require a moment’s silence into a nefarious strategy. PRIOR TO THIS, ON COINED:
- Everyone’s own favorite The slogan Among Us has had a contentious history
- The story of how a renowned video game style was born out of a sense of urgency
- Genshin Impact’s ability to make a disliked video game genre attractive How the video game Star Wars: Squadrons resurrected a famous video game cliché
- This is the story of how Hades changed the most contentious genre in video gaming
- More information may be found here.
AFK is an acronym that stands for “Away From Keyboard.” It is used to convey that the sender will not be there and will be unable to participate in the activity. The term “away from keyboard” (AFK) is most typically heard in multiplayer games, and it usually refers to a brief absence. The term AFK is similar in meaning to the term BRB (“Be Right Back”). AFK, on the other hand, does not have the connotation of “I’ll just be a minute,” as does BRB. While it suggests a shorter break than logging off, AFK may indicate either a short or extended period of time off from the computer.
A Video Summary
An explanation of this article on AFK may be found in the following short video: BAK (Back at Keyboard) is also covered in this video. We’re working hard to generate additional video explanations on new terminology as they emerge. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Summary of Key Points
For AFKon applications like as Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok, the most often used meaning is “Away from Keyboard.”
|Definition:||Away from Keyboard|
|Typical Users:||Adults and Teenagers|
Image for AFK
Afk is an abbreviation that stands for “AFK announces a temporary absence.”
Example of AFK Used in a Text
AFKPlease Help Us Improve Our Cyber Definitions.
- Do you have a problem with something you read on this page? Did you notice a grammatical error? Did you know of a slang phrase that we didn’t include?
Do you have a problem with something you’ve read? Was there a clerical error? Was there a slang phrase that you were familiar with that we didn’t include here?
BRB is an abbreviation for Back to Basics (be right back) BRBK is an abbreviation for BRBK (be right back) BBS (Broadcast Broadcasting System) (be back soon) BTS is an abbreviation for Business Technology Services (be there soon) Systèmes d’information (SYS) (see ya soon) HTHFYS is an abbreviation for High Threshold For Youth (hope to hear from you soon)
What Does “AFK” Mean, and How Do You Use It?
Miriam Doerr is a writer and poet. Photograph courtesy of Martin Frommherz/Shutterstock.com AFK is a term you’ve undoubtedly heard or seen before. For example, a coworker may have gone to the restroom and sent a message that stated, “Brb afk.” You could have also heard or seen this word used in an online game at some point. We’ll go through what it implies and how you can put it to good use.
What It Means
AFK is an abbreviation meaning “away from keyboard.” It shows that someone has logged out of their computer or device and will be unable to react to messages for a short period of time. It might also signify that someone has completely disappeared from the internet. The vast majority of the time, though, when someone types “AFK,” they are hinting that they will return quickly. You could utilize AFK in a variety of scenarios throughout the day, such as when you’re using the toilet or taking a scheduled break, or while you’re answering the door.
This results in a lot of mails with the text “brb afk.” The term “inactive” or “offline” is used to refer to someone who is not currently online or active.
The Origins of AFK
Garagestock/Shutterstock.com AFK, like many other informal internet acronyms, got its start in IRC chatrooms throughout the 1980s and 1990s. People used it to notify others in a chatroom that they would be gone from their computer for a short period of time. This was frequently done in order to prevent others with whom they were conversing from logging out. In today’s world, you may, of course, message someone and expect a response at any moment. People, on the other hand, did not leave their computers on all day, nor did they have their PCs linked to the internet all the time back then.
In the early days of Instant Messaging systems, such as AIM and Yahoo Messenger, participants may post a status under their usernames that indicated their current mood or position.
“Away from keyboard” is described as “not in front of a computer” in the Urban Dictionary’s first article, which was created in 2002. Since then, it has grown in popularity on the internet, mostly as a result of the growth of gaming communities.
AFK in Online Gaming
Teh z1b/Shutterstock.com Afk acquired significant acceptance when it was introduced in Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs), such as World of Warcraft, and became widely used. However, unlike in chat rooms, the term “AFK” is more widely used in gaming to refer to people who are inactive or are not actively participating in a game. For example, if a player’s in-game avatar is frozen for an extended period of time, another player may refer to that individual as “AFK.” Going AFK in-game at any time may be extremely detrimental, especially if the player does not announce that they must leave the game ahead of time.
- Teams with players who suddenly go inactive are significantly disadvantaged, especially in team-based, competitive MMOs such as Dota 2 or Overwatch.
- To prevent players from suddenly becoming AFK, several games have systems that involve fines or playing limits.
- AFK is also commonly used by gamers during livestreams on the Twitch platform.
- Those participating in the live chat will then tell anybody who enters that the broadcaster is absent from the game.
How to Use AFK
Because AFK is a slang word for “away from keyboard,” it’s advised to avoid using it in professional settings. Active, offline, and logged-off are all synonyms for inactive that you might use instead. The following are some instances of AFK in action that you may utilize in your informal online talks, however:
- “I’m going to be absent. “I’ll be back in five minutes.” “Be careful not to suddenly go AFK, as you may be subjected to a brief timeout from the game.” “I believe our support is AWOL. “Should we call a halt to this match?”
- “John went AFK for a few minutes to grab some fresh air.”
- “Should we call a halt to this match?”
“I’m taking a leave of absence. ” In five minutes, I’ll be back here.” “Make sure you don’t abruptly go AFK, otherwise you may be subjected to a temporary ban from the game.” “I believe our back-up is MIA. “; “Should we call a halt to this match?”; “John went AFK for a few minutes to catch his breath.”; “Should we call a halt to this match?”
What Does AFK Mean and How Do I Use It?
Do you understand what it means when someone texts you while you’re out of the office? Let’s have a look at the several interpretations of the phrase. We spend a significant amount of time each day in front of a screen, whether for business, education, or pleasure. It’s common for people to utilize a keyinternet abbreviation to let others know that they’re taking a break when they’re working. Because “AFK” has been in use since the 1990s, it has become one of the most widely used online slang phrases.
What Does “AFK” Mean?
The phrase literally translates as “away from keyboard,” and it’s commonly used in messaging applications such as Telegraph, Messages, WhatsApp, and social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, among other places. The abbreviation might have a literal meaning or can be used to indicate that you are now unavailable. It is entirely up to you whether or not to provide a time period for your return. If you wanted to write “AFK for 30 minutes,” or “AFK till after lunch,” you could.
The former might be used to indicate the continuance of a communication, whilst the latter is one of the most intimate online slang phrases available.
AFK has been around since the 1990s, but it has gained increased popularity in recent years as a result of the social deduction game, Among Us, which was released in 2011. In a multi-user game, idle players are frequently referred to by this word.
A few examples of the phrase being used in a messaging app are listed below.
- Karen is AFK, according to R
- S: It’s time for lunch, according to AFK
- B: Same, according to AFK BRB
“Away from keyboard” does not always indicate “away from computer.” Among other things, the three-letter phrase has represented Afrikaans, the party band Anderson Flesher and Key, and a variety of other things. There are a plethora of texting abbreviations available. Keep checking back here at groovyPost since we’ll be exploring more of these topics in the future. Among those we have already discussed are the acronyms CU, TTYL, TL;DR, and BIAB, which were previously stated.
What does AFK Stand For? 62 meanings of AFK by Acronymsandslang.com
All abbreviations (62) AirportsLocations(3) BusinessFinance(4) CommonGovernmentMilitary(1) MedicineScience(1)Chat Subcultures are subcultures inside a culture (8) Education Institutions of higher learning (7) Technology, information technology, and so on (2)
|*****||AFK||A fucking killer|
|****||AFK||Away from computer keyboard|
|****||AFK||Anyone feeling kinky|
|****||AFK||A Free Kill|
|****||AFK||A Fucking Kid|
|****||AFK||Anderson Flesher and KeyMusic|
|***||AFK||Always Frisky Kerrans|
|*||AFK||away from kwyboard|
AFK Meaning: What Does AFK Mean and Stand for?
What exactly is “AFK”? How can you decipher the meaning of this texting acronym? See an ESL infographic that explains the definition, use, and various meanings of this internet term, as well as some fascinating conversation examples.
“Away from the keyboard” (AFK) is the quickest way to express yourself. The use of this internet slang word can let people understand that you aren’t just ignoring them. When people are playing online games and wish to leave their game online while they are busy at work or school, they will frequently utilize the ‘afk’ command to do this. You may also do this if you are chatting in a chat and you want the other person to know that you aren’t near your device at the time of the conversation. “afk” first appeared in online chat rooms in the 1990s, and through time, it has evolved into the most commonly used phrase in online gaming today.
The following is an example of how to use the term “example.”
- Girl Texter:Hey baby, how are you? Boy Texter:How are you doing? girl texts:I willbrb
- Boy texts:have a nice day
- Girl texts:I willbrb Boy Texter: Hey, how are you? Boy Texter:Are you furious at me
- Boy Texter:Fine, don’t answer
- Girl Texter: “I was afk, omg,” she says. The Boy Texter: (o)
When you are actually away from your keyboard, one of the finest reasons to inform someone you are ‘afk’ is when you want them to know. In this clip, you can see a guy becoming agitated because he believes the female is still looking at her device, despite the fact that she is plainly not in the vicinity. In an MMO game such as WOW (World of Warcraft), player characters can be found sitting and standing in odd areas, seemingly unmoving. The online status of the person you are approaching will be indicated as ‘afk’ as you approach them and check to see if you are able to engage with them.
- All for Kill (a video game)
- Absolute Frequency Keying
- Astronomy for Kids
- And more. Away From the Kitchen
- A Free Kick
- A Free Kill computer game
- Away From the Kitchen
- Anderson, Flesher, and Key
- Anderson, Flesher, and Key
- Exceptionally Fearless King
- Amazingly Fat Kid
- Killer Who Is Friendly to Artificial Intelligence
AFK Meaning Infographic
When playing online games or in chat rooms, you might have seen the term “AFK” and wondered what it signified. Those who believe that it is comparable to the expressionAF can rest assured that this is not the case. AFK is an abbreviation for Away from Keyboard. AFK is an abbreviation that is commonly used. The abbreviation AFK can be written in both uppercase and lowercase versions. Typing complete phrases in uppercase is seen as disrespectful screaming in certain circles.
How AFK Is Used
The abbreviation AFK is used in live chatting to inform other users that you will not be responding for a few minutes since you will be gone from your computer.
When combined with a descriptive, such as “afk bio” (you are going to the bathroom), or “afk phone,” the term AFK is often used (you are answering a phone call). Nusha Ashjaee is a Lifewire contributor.
Examples of AFK
Joan, who is user number one? Are you in attendance? User 2:Sorry, I got distracted by a conversation with Chris. I just wanted to know what you thought about this email I’m about to send to a client. User 1:np, I just wanted to know what you thought about this email I’m planning to send to a customer.
Person 1: “Ermahgerd!” says the speaker. I just got my first ever plum doughnut from the Polish bakery, which was very delicious! Person No. 2: (no response) Person 1:Tuan, do you happen to be there? Person No. 2: (no response) Person 1:DUDE, DUDE, DUDE Person 2:Sorry, I was in the restroom and didn’t respond. What is the location of this Polish bakery?
Person 1:OMG, I just got a legendary drop from this quest momb! Person 2:OMG, I just got a legendary drop from this quest momb! Person No. 2: (no response) Person 1: GUYS, LET’S GO! Take a look at my new legendary! Person 2: I was afk when I went to take the dogs out. Congratulations on your new set of gloves, by the way! That is fantastic!
Expressions Similar to AFK
The AFK term, like other internet slang, is a part of the culture of online discourse, just as the other expressions are. The following are some more online slang idioms that imply nearly the same meaning as “as if”:
- TTYL: Talk To You Later
- CU: See You
- BBIAB: Be Back in a Minute
- TTYL: Talk To You Later
- CUL8R: See you later
- BRB: Be right back
- BRT: Be right there
- CUL8R: See you later
How to Capitalize and Punctuate Web and Texting Abbreviations
When writing internet abbreviations, there are a few principles to remember to follow:
- When utilizing text message acronyms and chat jargon, capitalization is not a concern: Both all uppercase (for example, ROFL) and all lowercase (for example, rofl) spellings are acceptable, and the meaning is the same. However, avoid typing entire words in capital because this is considered yelling in online jargon. When it comes to text message abbreviations, proper punctuation is seldom a concern: When writing TL
- DR, for example, you may use the abbreviation TL
- DR or TLDR to indicate that you didn’t read the entire sentence. There is no difference between the two formats, whether or not punctuation is used. Never put a period (dot) between jargon letters. For example: It negates the objective of thumb typing in order to save time. For example, ROFL would never be spelt as R.O.F.L., and TTYL would never be spelled as T.T.Y.L., among other things.
Recommended Etiquette for Using Web and Texting Jargon
Knowing whether to utilize jargon in your communications comes down to knowing your audience, determining if the situation is casual or formal, and then using sound judgment in the situation. If you are communicating with someone you are familiar with and it is a personal and casual contact, you can employ abbreviated jargon. As an alternative, if you are just beginning a personal or professional contact with the other person, avoid using abbreviations until you have established a rapport with the other person.
The use of whole word spellings demonstrates professionalism and civility.
The contrary is more difficult to do.
What does AFK mean in gaming?
Gamers on all platforms have their own means of communication, which can range from acronyms or words to in-game motions that are common across all games. This unfamiliar world of symbols and notions might be intimidating to those who are unfamiliar with it, but mastering a few essential terms can make navigating the gaming environment much simpler. The abbreviation AFK is one of the most often used in gaming, and it indicates that someone is gone from their console or workstation and will hopefully return quickly.
Many players may enter “brb AFK” or a similar message before quitting the game to inform their friends or teammates that they will be unavailable for a short period of time.
This is a great method to keep everyone on the same page and to ensure that no one is left wondering where you are at any given time.
Teammates who are absent from the game for an extended period of time can be irritating and put your team at a competitive disadvantage, so try to avoid being unavailable for an extended period of time.
Now that you know what AFK stands for, you can better comprehend what other players are attempting to communicate and quickly notify your buddies when you need to go to the toilet for a few minutes.
What does AFK stand for?
Sort by: Popularity AlphabeticallyCategory Filter by: Popularity AlphabeticallyCategory
AFKA is an abbreviation for “Away From Keyboard.” This is used to tell people that you will be inaccessible for a brief period of time on the internet. “Let’s hold off on killing that ice giant for the time being; I need to go AFK to make a phone call.” Frequently, MUDs will have a command that will respectfully tell people of your absence if they attempt to communicate with you. Despite this, the phrase is no longer exclusive to MUDs and has become ubiquitous in a wide range of discussion contexts, from IRC to Unix talk.
Know what isAFK? Got another good explanation forAFK? Don’t keep it to yourself!
- A.Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
- B.Love and Sex Especially Romantic
- C.Light Amplifying by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
- D.Lightly Annoying Situation Ended by Running
- E.Lightly Annoying Situation Ended by Running
- F.Lightly Annoying Situation Ended by Running
- G.Lightly Annoying Situation Ended by Running
- H.Lightly Annoying Situation Ende
Hearing impaired tip:
How do you pronounce AFK in American Sign Language (ASL) sign language fingerspelling?
What does AFK mean? AFK Definition. Meaning of AFK. OnlineSlangDictionary.com
Google has been punishing this website in its search rankings for years, and a Google employee lied to the search engine giant about the practice. Because they have come close to bringing this site to its knees, I will begin revealing specifics of my chat with the Google employee who informed me of the penalty in secret beginning on Monday, August 17. This will culminate in the production of an MBOX file that contains all of the header information. More information may be found here. 2021-03-21: Screw it, I’m not going to do it.
- Google has been punishing this website in its search rankings for years, and a Google employee lied to the search engine giant about the practice.
- More information may be found here.
- On Monday, August 17, I will begin revealing specifics of my interaction with the Google employee who informed me of the penalty in private, which took place on August 16.
- Google has been punishing this website in its search rankings for years, and a Google employee lied to the search engine giant about the practice.
- More information may be found here.
- My communication with the Google employee who informed me of the penalty will be published on August 17, according to the company.
- “Away from the keyboard” is an abbreviation. Textual communication on the internet, such as instant messaging and chat, is often utilized. As seen in the following example, it is possible to “go AFK.” I need to go have some lunch before going to work. Samueliscool has gone off the grid.
- More terms with the same meaning may be found here: Internet, texting, SMS, email, chat acronyms (list of)
- There are also more words that have the same meaning as “not present,” such as “gone” and “not presentable.”
- The most recent modification was made on April 16, 2013. This entry was posted byWalterGR (through TheJargonFile) onJuly 17, 2009
- Abbreviation for “away from keyboard.” Textual communication on the internet, such as instant messaging and chat, is often utilized. When responding to a message, this is used to indicate that one is not now accessible. (Of course, in this context, the phrase “away from the keyboard” isn’t precisely correct. I was wondering if you would be interested in talking with me regarding the programming assignment for CS61A. Response:AFK
- More terms with the same meaning may be found here: Internet, texting, SMS, email, and chat acronyms (a comprehensive list)
- There are also more words that have the same meaning as “not present,” such as “gone” and “not presentable.”
- The most recent modification was made on November 4, 2011. On July 17, 2009, WalterGR (through TheJargonFile) sent a message.
|Other terms relating to ‘ Internet, texting, SMS, email, chat acronyms (list of) ‘:|
|Definitions include: acronym for “get the fuck out”, an expression of disbelief.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “for what it’s worth”.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “don’t forget to be awesome”.|
|Definitions include: used to indicate laughter in text-based communication.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “love you lots”.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “from the article.”|
|Definitions include: acronym for “to the best of my knowledge.”|
|Definitions include: acronym for “don’t feed thetroll “.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “talk amongst yourselves”.|
|Definitions include: acronym of “laugh out loud” or “laughing out loud.”|
|Definitions include: acronym for “thanks in advance”.|
|Definitions include: acronym of ” go fuck yourself.”|
|Definitions include: to some time that is not the present time, and/or some place that is not the present location.|
|Definitions include: acronym of “absent without leave.”|
|Definitions include: to be absent from school without permission.|
|Definitions include: Skipping school, missing classes, taking as extended lunch, skipping out of work for the day/afternoon just to have fun.|
|Definitions include: This definition is questionable and is pending deletion.|
Slang terms with the same root words
|Definitions include: “Ask any questions that you’d like.”|
|Definitions include: to kill, usually with a firearm.|
|Definitions include: acronym of “goes away from keyboard”.|
|Definitions include: to escape the consequences of one’s actions.|
|Definitions include: to avoid punishment for an offense.|
|Definitions include: have lived a rough lifestyle.|
|Definitions include: a main point from an information source.|
|Definitions include: Connotes mental, physical, and spiritual bankruptcy.|
|Definitions include: acronym for ” bitchfrom hell “.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “bastard operator from hell”.|
|Definitions include: a good friend that is more like a brother.|
|Definitions include: This is an expression that was used in Western Kentucky in the late seventies, possibly earlier.|
|Definitions include: to become overwhelmed with information.|
|Definitions include: to go from extreme poverty to wealth.|
|Definitions include: from basic ingredients; not pre-prepared.|
|Definitions include: at the beginning, from the start.|
|Definitions include: acronym of “goes away from keyboard”.|
|Definitions include: a person who is rude or aggressive when communicating electronically.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “problem exists between chair and keyboard”.|
|Definitions include: acronym for “problem exists between keyboard and chair”.|
How common is this slang?
|Don’t click the following.|
|I use it||(368)|
|No longer use it||(23)|
|Heard it but never used it||(507)|
|Have never heard it||(234)|
How vulgar is this slang?
A total of 642, or 21 percent, voted. (See the most obscene expressions.) None of the above is your opinion. (To cast your vote, click on the pepper.) Instead than judging the word on its vulgarity, voters should consider how harsh it is.
Where is this slang used?
Users that are logged in can add themselves to the map. Login, Register, and Login with Facebook in a matter of seconds.
Link to this slang definition
Insert the following code into a web page or blog post to link to this phrase.
a href=” AFK /a”> a href=” AFK /a”> Insert the following into a wiki, such as Wikipedia, to create a connection to this word. Please note that some wikis use a different link format than others, so be careful to read the guidelines.
What is Away From Keyboard (AFK)? – Definition from Techopedia
When a user is away from a physical device, the phrase “away from keyboard” (AFK) is used to indicate that the user is no longer at the keyboard. The term was frequently used in early internet chat rooms and bulletin board systems to inform people when someone was accessible and ready to react to text messages. It was popular during the early days of online chat. NAK is an abbreviation for “not at keyboard,” and it is a frequent variation of “away from keyboard.”
Techopedia Explains Away From Keyboard (AFK)
In a focused online discussion, the term “afk” can refer to a variety of situations ranging from having to wrangle children or peek out the window to check a back yard to having to quit the chat room completely. This word was especially useful in conventional circumstances, when people were constantly speaking with one another on computers, back and forth, and were curious as to why there would be a pause in the conversation. With today’s more flexibly configured systems, the term “afk” is not as frequently used.
When someone is away from the keyboard, wait indications on smartphone chat systems (such as little bubbles to indicate a user is typing) can offer some indication of whether or not they are away from the keyboard.
However, some people who are interested in how technology is being utilized today have suggested that possibly the usage of an indication such as AFK might be used to signal whether or not someone is accessible to read an incoming message.
- AFAIC is an abbreviation that means “as far as I’m concerned,” “as far as I care,” or “as far as I can.”
- AFAIK — “as far as I know”
- AFAIR — “as far as I recall”, or “as far as I remember”
- AFAIK — “as far as I know The abbreviations AFK, ASAP, BBL, BBS, BFD, and BRB are commonly used in chat rooms and instant messaging services
- BBL is an abbreviation for “be back later,” BBS is an abbreviation for “be back soon,” and BFD is an abbreviation for “huge fucking deal.” BTW is for “by the way”
- B2B stands for “Business to Business.” C V is an abbreviation for ChapterVerse. In newsgroups, this term is used. C|N K — a Unix slang term that means “coffee through nose into keyboard”
- Cya — “see you,” which is used as a farewell. CU — “see you,” which is used to say farewell. CYS – “Make sure your settings are correct.” A term that technical support personnel of a particular Australian Internet service provider (ISP) frequently use
- The abbreviations FAQ, FFS, and FOAF stand for “for fuck’s sake!” and “friend of a friend,” respectively, referring to the questionable credit given to urban legends
- FYI stands for “for your information,” while G2G stands for “got to go.” In chat rooms, this term is used. GAGF stands for “go and get fucked,” whereas GFY stands for “good for you” or “go fuck yourself.” The usage of this abbreviation is ambiguous and should be avoided
- GG is an abbreviation for “good going” or “good gaming.” Useful in online games such as trivia, but more typically used sarcastically when someone makes a blunder. Additionally, in games such as Counter-Strike, it is increasingly becoming usual for all players to say “gg” after the game is done, unless a player is really dissatisfied with the outcome
- GJ — Excellent Work
- The HAND sign means “have a great day”
- The HTH sign means “I hope this helps.” IANAL – “I am not a licensed attorney.” As a comical disclaimer before giving legal advice by someone who is not a lawyer, this phrase is commonly used. MUDs and role-playing games use the terms IANARS (I am not a rocket scientist) and IC (I see), as well as “in character” in MUDs and role-playing games. In case you didn’t know, ICYDK, ICYDN, and ICUDK stand for “In case you didn’t know.”
- IIRC stands for “if I recall properly,” as in ISTR
- IMHO stands for “in my humble opinion” / “in my honest view”
- IMO is for “in my opinion.” IMNSHO is for “in my not-so-humble opinion”
- IRC stands for “Internet Relay Chat”
- And IRL stands for “in real life.” In MUD environments, this term is used. If you don’t mind my asking, “ISTR, are you a virgin?” is an example of “I seem to recall” (i.e., I’m not really sure). If you don’t mind my asking, “IYDMMA, are you a virgin?” is an example of IIRC. The terms JJ or JK (j/k) mean “just joking” or “just kidding,” respectively
- Joo means “you” in both English and Japanese. Also known as j00, which is spelt with a lower case j and two zeroes rather than two O’s
- JOOC — “just out of curiosity”
- K — short for “OK”
- L8 — a shorthand spelling of “late”
- L8r — a shorthand spelling of “later,” meaning “see you later”
- L8 — a shorthand spelling of “later,” meaning “see you later” (see leet) LIEK — a slang term for “like,” as in “I like that website”
- LMAO — “laughing my ass off”
- LOL — “laughing out loud” or “plenty of chuckles” (in response to anything hilarious)
- LMAO The abbreviations MYOB (mind your own business), NM (n/m), NOYB (none of your business), NP (none of your problem), and NSFW (not safe for work) are all used to mean “mind your own business.” Material (images, websites) that is not appropriate for the workplace, but rather for the home. Fark makes use of this phrase. See SFW for further information. A post with no content is denoted by the abbreviation NT, which stands for “No Text” on Internet forums or Usenet. O — “oh,” OIC — “oh, I see,” OMG — “Oh my God!”
- OMFG — “Oh my fucking God!”
- OMFL — “Oh my fucking lag!”
- OOC — “out-of-character.” MUDs and other role-playing games are examples of this. “As a matter of curiosity.”
- “off topic”
- “on the other hand”
- Own – to defeat someone (as in Counter-Strike) or to humiliate someone tactically in a debate
- Something that is extremely cool (as in BMWs that are totally own)
- Own – to defeat someone (as in BMWs that are totally own). The abbreviations PFO, PITA, and PO (PO’d) stand for “please fuck off,” “pain in the ass,” “pissed off,” and “pissed off.” Prog stands for “computer program” (progz in plural)
- Likely is a contracted version of “probably,” and pls is an abbreviation for the word “please.” Pwn is an abbreviation for the word own. The term “Pwned” refers to having entire control over something, whereas the term “Pwned by something” refers to being completely controlled by something. (See also leet) P2P is an abbreviation for Person to Person
- Qoolz is an abbreviation for something that is “cool” in the American sense
- R — abbreviation for “are”
- RL — abbreviation for “real life.” In MUD environments, this term is used. ROTFL (or ROTFFL) — “rolling on the floor laughing” (in response to something highly hilarious)
- ROFLMAO (or ROTFLMAO) — “rolling on the floor laughing my ass off” (in response to something extremely amusing)
- R0x0rz — leet speaks for “rocks” (in response to something extremely humorous)
- RTFA — “read the fucking article” — is a phrase that is commonly used on Slashdot forums, and refers to users who post comments on a story without first reading it. “Read the fucking manual” is an abbreviation for “read the fucking manual” (often sanitized to “read the fine manual”). Newbies who have not sought to locate the solution on their own receive a disproportionate number of responses to requests for simple assistance. RU stands for Are You
- R8 stands for Right
- RU stands for Are You
- “Safe for work” is an abbreviation for “safe for work.” Documentation (photos, websites) that is appropriate for the workplace. Fark makes use of this phrase. See NSFW (not suitable for work). The terms STFU and sux0rs are both leet slang for “sucks”
- TBH is an abbreviation for “to be honest”
- Thx is a shorthand spelling of the word thanks that may be used to form “kthx” (OK, thanks), “plzkthx” (Please, OK, thanks), and “kthxbye” (OK, thanks, goodbye)
- TTFN is an abbreviation for Ta Ta For Now. TIA is an abbreviation for “thank you in advance.” TTYL – abbreviation for “speak to you later”
- The letter “u” is a shorthand spelling for “you,” while the letter “ur” is a shorthand spelling for “you’re.” w/e — slang/abbreviation for anything
- W/o — without
- W/e — whatever
- The abbreviations WDUWTA and WTF stand for “what do you want to talk about?” and “what the fuck?” respectively. The phrase “Your mileage may vary” means that the results may vary from person to person. We Owned the Other Team, “hell yah!” (short for woohoo), and “w00t” (exclamation of delight or happiness) are all closely linked. w8 is a shorthand spelling of the word “wait.” X* — the definition of anything is superior to everything else. 3 — the word “love” (made from the ASCII-art heart between the less than symbol and the three). For example: I3 you
- 2B – to be
- 4 – for
Others convey themes that are unique to the Internet:
- Newbie with a clue, but not quite on the level of a guru
- Cluebie guru – a technical subject matter expert in a certain technological field, such as C programming or Unix system management
- Question and answer format, often known as FAQ, is a collection of commonly asked questions and answers It appears like nothing is ever written in small letters
- A flamer is a person who ‘flames’
- To rave on about a rather dull subject, to adopt a plainly stupid attitude, or to express anger towards a specific individual or group of people When the word “flame” is used as a verb (“Don’t flame me for this”), it refers to a single blazing message, which is referred to as a flame. It is also likely to be associated with the term lamer. hijack is to deviate from the topic at hand. This is something that newcomers to forums frequently do
- In this article, we define a troll as someone who intentionally causes trouble (see article). One who reads an email list or a message board but does not join in the debate is referred to as a lurker. a newbie is a person who is just starting off. Not a derogatory word (although see RTFM, which comes before it)
- Noob is an abbreviation for a new user. In addition, the word n00b is spelt with two zeroes rather than two O’s.