Open the PDF that contains the text you want to black out. Go to the Tools menu and select the Redact tool to open the Secondary Tool Bar immediately above the PDF. It includes the Redaction Tools. Choose Mark for Redaction and select OK when prompted by the pop-up window.
How to strikethrough text in a PDF?
- Quickly highlight,underline,or strike through text: Select text,click the down arrow next to the Highlight button,then choose a highlight color,underline,or strikethrough.
- Use highlight mode: Click the Highlight button (so it turns blue),click the down arrow next to the Highlight button,then choose a highlight color,underline,or strikethrough
- To turn off highlighting,click the highlight tool again.
- 1 How do I black out text in a PDF window for free?
- 2 How do you blind text on a PDF?
- 3 Can redacted pdfs be unredacted?
- 4 How do I black out a PDF for free?
- 5 How do you black out text in Adobe?
- 6 How do I Redact a PDF without Adobe Pro?
- 7 How do I remove redacted text from a PDF?
- 8 Is a redacted PDF safe?
- 9 How do you reveal a redacted text?
- 10 Removing sensitive content from PDFs in Adobe Acrobat DC
- 11 Set the default look of all marks
- 12 Create redaction codes and code sets
- 13 3 Ways to Black Out Text in PDF (with Steps)
- 14 Methods for Redacting Text in a PDF File
- 15 Adobe Acrobat Pro Method
- 16 Alternative Methods
- 17 Final Words
- 18 How to redact a PDF? The best PDF redaction tool
- 19 Here’s how to use the Redact Tool on a PDF
- 20 Forget Adobe Acrobat: Preview May Be All You Need to Work with PDFs
- 21 How to Black out Text in PDF? (A Complete Guide)
- 22 Why Do You Need to Black Out Texts in PDF Documents Sometimes?
- 23 How to Redact Text in PDF for Free?
- 24 Other Free PDF Redaction Methods
- 25 How to Black Out Text in PDF on Mac/Windows/Online
- 26 How to Black Out Text in PDF on Windows
- 27 How to Redact a PDF on Mac
- 28 How to Block Out Text in PDF Online
- 29 Conclusion
- 30 How to Block out Text in PDF Easily
- 31 How to Block out Text in PDF Easily
- 32 How to easily redact text in a PDF on your Mac
- 33 macOS Preview app
- 34 Adobe Acrobat
- 35 PDFPen and PDFPen Pro
- 36 Ask Mac 911
- 37 How to black out text in a PDF document correctly?
- 38 Where do problems with blackening of electronic documents come from?
- 39 What does blacking out (of text) in PDF documents look like?
- 40 PDF anonymization – how to effectively black out documents?
How do I black out text in a PDF window for free?
Open the PDF and select the Redact tool. Next, choose whether you want redacted text replaced with a black box or an empty space. Then scan the entire document and remove text as you go, or search for the text you want to remove in bulk. Once you’re finished, apply the changes and save the PDF.
How do you blind text on a PDF?
Open the PDF file to redact in Preview. Black out text using any method you want (e.g. use the rectangle annotation tool with black as the color and choose the thickest border. Then draw the shape as many times as needed until your document is blacked out.) File > Save As, and choose an image format such as PNG or GIF.
Can redacted pdfs be unredacted?
Redaction cannot be undone once applied. To avoid mistakes, we strongly advise you to make a copy of the original PDF before you perform redaction; or save the redacted PDF as a new file with a different name and/or location.
How do I black out a PDF for free?
Click and drag a PDF into the toolbox. Click on the square symbol and select ‘Rectangle’. Ensure the color is set to black, and resize it to cover text. Hit ‘Finish’ and save the document.
How do you black out text in Adobe?
Open the PDF in Acrobat DC, and then do one of the following:
- Choose Tools > Redact.
- On the Edit menu, choose Redact Text & Images.
- Select the text or image in a PDF, right-click, and select Redact.
- Select the text or image in a PDF, choose Redact in the floating context-menu.
How do I Redact a PDF without Adobe Pro?
How to Edit a PDF Without Adobe Acrobat
- Click on “New” on the Google Docs page and upload your file to the drive.
- Once the file is uploaded, in the main view, right click on the file and select “Open with”, and then “Google Docs.” A new tab will open in your browser with editable content.
How do I remove redacted text from a PDF?
Redaction removal from the original PDF file. Click on the Edit tab at the top of the screen and select Redact Text & Images. There, you’ll be able to add new redactions or remove the existing ones. Once you remove the redactions, the colored bars will go away, revealing the information underneath.
Is a redacted PDF safe?
One of the main benefits of the PDF format is file security. When you use redaction, you’ll permanently remove information from your document. It’s a good idea to back up a master copy of your file before redacting any information. This will avoid accidentally erasing pertinent data.
How do you reveal a redacted text?
Using the Text Search Tool
- Open the Redacted PDF Document you wish to check.
- Open the Text Search Tool by using the shortcut keys CTRL + F (Command + F on a Mac)
- Type in the word you redacted and click on New Search.
- This will bring up a list of all the text matching what you typed in the search box.
Removing sensitive content from PDFs in Adobe Acrobat DC
Before distributing a PDF, you may wish to check the document for sensitive content or private information that can be used to track down the person who created the PDF. When viewing a PDF, use theRedacttools to delete or redact sensitive pictures and text that should not be seen. Delete Hidden Information is a function that allows you to locate and remove hidden content from a PDF document. Consider the following scenario: if you developed the PDF, the document information typically shows your name as the author.
You can delete stuff by utilizing theRedacttools.
The custom text or redaction codes that display above the redaction marks can be specified by you.
- In one or more PDFs that include searchable text, you may use theFind Texttool to locate and delete specific words or phrases.
- Utilize theRemove Hidden Informationfeature to locate and delete material from a document that you do not wish to keep, such as hidden text and metadata as well as comments and attachments from the document.
- Digital signatures, document information contributed by third-party plug-ins and apps, and unique capabilities that allow Adobe Reader users to review, sign, and populate PDF documents are among the items that have been deleted from the PDF standard.
- When you save the file, the selected content is permanently removed from the document.
- Metadata Metadata is information about a document and its contents, such as the author’s name, keywords, and copyright information, that is included in the document itself.
- File Attachments Files in any format can be attached as attachments to a PDF document in any format.
- In the PDF file, bookmarks are links with representational text that open specific pages within the document.
Comments and annotations This item contains all of the comments that were added to the PDF using the comment and markup tool, as well as any attachments that were included as comments.
Form Fields This item contains allForm Fields (includingSignaturefields), as well as allActions and calculations that are associated with form fields.
Hidden Text This item indicates text in a PDF that is either transparent, covered up by other content, or the same color as the background of the document.
Hidden layers are removed from the PDF when they are removed and the remaining layers are flattened into a single layer when they are removed.
A search index that is embedded within a PDF file allows for faster searching within the document.
While removing indexes reduces file size, it increases the time it takes to search for information in the PDF.
Objects that are overlapping This item contains objects that are stacked on top of one another.
Sanitize documents removes all sensitive information from your document, whether it is hidden or not, in order to prevent the information from being passed along when you publish your PDF. It gets rid of:
- Information about the site
- Embedded content and attachments
- Hidden layers
- Embedded search indexes
- Stored form data
- And more. Data should be reviewed and commented on
- Comments that are concealed inside the body of the PDF document
- It is possible to save hidden data from a previous document. Text and pictures that are obscured
- Data that has not been cited
When you save the file, the sensitive information is permanently erased from the file. If you accidentally shut the file without saving it, simply repeat the process, being sure to save the file each time you do so. By default, thin red outlines show around photos and text that have been marked for redaction, and black boxes appear in lieu of the images and text that have been marked for redaction. Redaction marks can have a default look that you can specify before they are marked for redaction.
Set the default look of all marks
Custom TextOver the redaction mark, the text that you write into theCustom Textoption is shown. FontDisplays custom text in the font of your choosing. Font SizeDisplays custom text in the point size that has been specified. Text will automatically resize to fit the redaction region. Custom text is resized so that it fits inside the censored area. When this option is chosen, it takes precedence over the Font Size setting for the overlay text. Font ColorDisplays custom text in the color of your choice, which you can modify by clicking on the color swatch.
- It is possible to fill the redacted area with as many instances of the custom text as necessary without modifying the font size.
- Left, right, and center text alignment may be achieved with the Text Alignment command.
- One type of overlay text is a redaction code, which is made up of one or more code entries from a code set and is one form of overlay text.
- To generate overlay text, you may use either codes or custom text in your HTML code.
- A code set can comprise a number of different codes.
- Codes simply make the overlay text itself reusable in future sessions and by other users with whom you have shared code sets; they do nothing else.
Create redaction codes and code sets
To see the code entries, move your cursor over them until they are separated by a colon (,) and then release it. If you want to use the same code for many redactions, you must first establish the redaction settings before marking the content.
Properties may be found in the secondary toolbar. SelectUse Overlay Text, then selectRedaction Code from the drop-down menu. Select aCode Set and a code entry, and then click Add Selected Entry to save your selection.
3 Ways to Black Out Text in PDF (with Steps)
If you work with sensitive papers and information, you understand the need of maintaining security at all times. Many businesses and government organizations have stringent policies in place for the protection, storage, and disposal of high-security documents. When it comes to dealing with sensitive information, following those criteria is essential. In some cases, customers, clients, or members of the general public may require access to sensitive information contained in files that we must supply them.
- This might contain information that is sensitive, proprietary, or that is personally identifiable (PII).
- The data included inside the paper must be blacked out or redacted.
- It is possible to see them on virtually any computer system since they are generally interoperable.
- Most significantly, they are extremely difficult to change.
- Is it possible to black out critical information from a PDF document?
- Here are the most popular approaches of completing the task.
Methods for Redacting Text in a PDF File
There are various options for hiding text in a PDF document. To be sure, though, you must make certain that the information you’re safeguarding is indeed safeguarded. After you have finished with your markups, make sure to test them. How? It’s as simple as opening the file and performing a fast text search for any phrases you’re attempting to redact. If the search returns no results, you may be certain that you are secure. Keep in mind that you should always check what you expect.
Adobe Acrobat Pro Method
The process of blacking out text is simple if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed on your computer. Acrobat Pro has redaction features, and all you have to do is put them to use to make your documents more secure. Follow the steps outlined below: 1. Make a duplicate of the original document. Creating a duplicate of the original is the first and most important step. WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT? You don’t want to make modifications to your file just to have them overwritten by the original. It is possible that you will wish to use the original file name for the copy while appending “-redacted” to the new file name.
- Select the “Tools” tab/menu from the drop-down menu.
- If you don’t see it right away, click on the “show more” button to bring it up on your screen.
- Select “Mark for redaction” from the redact toolbar, which is located just above the document.
- “Ok” should be selected.
Click “Apply” on the redaction toolbar to save your changes.
It will inquire as to whether you wish to delete any concealed information from your PDF file.
It is possible that the metadata will include information about who generated the document, when it was created, and its revision history.
Try searching for words, phrases, or names that you’ve blacked out to see how effective your redaction is.
This also ensures that you did not forget to cover any objects that you wished to keep hidden from view.
A word, phrase, or name can be completely removed from a document using the redaction tool in Adobe Acrobat Pro. The tool may also be used to black out the same area of a page over the whole length of an electronic document. This is a good option for text in the header or footer.
The procedure described above is incredibly effective and really simple. The only catch is that you must already have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed on your computer. An active paid monthly membership is required in order to use this tool. If you are doing something as part of your employment and your employer is paying for it, this may not be a problem for you. If you don’t have access to the program, there are alternative methods for removing text from a PDF document.
Screen Capture Method
Here’s the quickest and most straightforward method of redacting PDF text using screen capture.
- Make use of the Adobe reader of your choice to see your PDF file. Increase or decrease the zoom factor until the full page fills the screen
- Each page should be captured via a screen capture program. Each should be saved as an image file. This may be accomplished with the use of SnagItor, a Snipping Tool offered by Windows. If you are unfamiliar with the terms SnagIt and Snipping Tool, you may learn more about them under the Software section under Screen Capture. How
- Open the picture files in the image editor of your choice and make any necessary adjustments. Check out our section on Photo Editing for additional information about photo/image editors. Make use of your picture editing software to black out any content that has to be redacted—erase regions or apply a paintbrush to the text if necessary. To outline and cover text, you may use a black rectangle with a black fill to create a frame around them. Just make certain that the text is completely removed or covered. Check to see if the words have been completely obscured by the redactions. Make sure you can’t read your redaction by zooming up close to it. Sometimes, even when you use a fill tool, if the color you choose is somewhat different from the text color, you may still be able to make out the words when you zoom close. Keep a copy of the file in case you need to make any more modifications. If your image editor allows you to save the file as a PDF, go ahead and do it
- Otherwise, don’t bother. If your image editor does not allow you to save PDFs, you can copy the picture by selecting it and using Ctrl + C. Start by opening a text editor, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs, and pasting the picture into the editor. It is possible that you will need to alter the image’s size within the text editor in order for it to fit or fill the page. When creating numerous pages, repeat the method for each page, copying each new picture into the text editor as if it were a separate page. Once you’ve completed all of the pages in your text editor, save the document in PDF format for future reference. This is something that both Microsoft Word and Google Docs can accomplish
- You will now have a version of your PDF that has been redacted.
This procedure can take a significant amount of time. If you have a large number of pages, it will become really boring. It’s a simple approach if you simply have one page or a few pages to print on one page. Just make sure that when you zoom in, the text is no longer legible before proceeding.
Print, Mark, and Scan Method
If you have a huge document with numerous pages, this technique will be a bit quicker and easier to complete.
- Choose a PDF reader of your choice and open the PDF file. Print the PDF file. Utilize a high-quality black marker to redact any information you don’t want others to see. Scan the document with a scanner to make it more legible. If you don’t have a scanner, you can take images of the pages with your phone or digital camera instead. Open each of the photos in a text editor such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs, select them, and then copy and paste them into the document. As soon as all of the photos have been put into the editor, save the document as a PDF. By zooming in on the redacted text and making certain that you cannot see or read any words, you can confirm that it is illegible.
This approach can also be time-consuming, but it will be considerably simpler if you have a large number of pages to redact.
In this post, we’ve demonstrated three different approaches for removing text from a PDF file. The first demands that you have a paid version of Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer. It’s the quickest and most convenient, albeit there is a price associated with it. If you find yourself redacting PDFs on a frequent basis, it may be worthwhile to make the investment. Because of the use of Acrobat Pro, the procedure is quick and painless. If you don’t want to spend the money for Acrobat Pro, the other two options will suffice.
You should always double-check that the material has been completely redacted before sending the papers out, whether you are utilizing one of these three procedures or all of them.
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments, as we appreciate your business.
How to redact a PDF? The best PDF redaction tool
- PDF Expert is available for free download. In the top toolbar, choose the word “Edit.” Select the ‘Redact’ option from the drop-down menu. Select the method for hiding content from view: ‘Blackout’ or ‘Erase’. Drag the cursor over the text fragment you wish to conceal and select it
PDFs are an excellent method to exchange papers with your colleagues, coworkers, and friends since they are portable. Generally speaking, companies use PDFs to transmit text-based data (such as reports and agreements), but you’ll also discover PDFs that are regularly used for bank or credit card bills, mutual fund reports, credit score ratings, and other types of information, as well. In the vast majority of cases, the information included in these types of papers is secret and/or sensitive in nature.
However, you may find yourself in a scenario where you are required to disclose specific information included inside these documents with other individuals on a regular basis.
Looking for information on how to redact a PDF in order to either permanently destroy sensitive data or black out and hide confidential material in your documents?
Leave it to the professionals at PDF Expert to do the task! Our PDF redaction tool for Mac is incredibly beneficial when you need to conceal your residence address, social security number, credit card numbers, or any other type of personal information from any type of PDF document on your computer.
Here’s how to use the Redact Tool on a PDF
- In Edit mode, select the ‘Redact’ button from the toolbar. Choose the text fragment that you want to redact in PDF from the drop-down menu. There are two alternatives accessible to you: a blackout or an erase
The ‘Blackout’ option eliminates the selected sensitive material and replaces it with a black box, as shown in the GIF below. ‘Erase,’ on the other hand, eliminates the sensitive material that has been selected and leaves empty space in its stead.’ As an alternative, you may do a search for certain terms you wish to redact in PDF throughout the whole text. In situations where someone requests a copy of a contract, but he should not be aware of how much money you paid, there is no need for you to spend valuable time reviewing the whole document and manually hiding this information everywhere.
- Click on the ‘Search’ icon in the right sidebar to begin your search. Then, in the ‘Find and Redact’ section, type the word you want to conceal.
- Select a search result and click ‘Redact’ to make it disappear, or click ‘All’ to make it all disappear. The final step is to click on the ‘Done’ button. Voila! PDF Expert has just saved you a significant amount of time
In conclusion, if you’re searching for a means to redact a PDF on Mac, PDF Expert is the greatest PDF redaction tool available on the platform, allowing you to effortlessly hide sensitive material from your documents while also including a variety of additional features to make your work easier. We encourage you to take advantage of our free 7-day trial and evaluate PDF Expert. In addition, if you have any questions, assistance is only a click away.
Forget Adobe Acrobat: Preview May Be All You Need to Work with PDFs
Monday, February 1, 2021 at 9:04 a.m. – (724) We receive a lot of emails from folks who believe they require Adobe Acrobat DC in order to edit PDFs. Don’t get me wrong: Adobe Acrobat is the gold standard, but it’s difficult and expensive—$14.99 per month or $52.99 per month if purchased as part of the Creative Cloud subscription. Apple’s Preview, on the other hand, is simple and free to use with macOS. Here are six things that people may believe require Adobe Acrobat but that may be completed with relative ease in Preview.
Remove and Rearrange or Export Pages
Do you have a PDF file that has extraneous pages? In Preview, you have the option to erase them. To begin, check that page thumbnails are displayed in the sidebar by selecting ViewThumbnails from the View menu. Then pick the pages that you wish to erase and hit the Delete key on your keyboard. You’ll want to choose FileSave after you’re finished since you’ll need to perform it after all of the other chores as well. Rearranging pages may also be done in the sidebar by dragging the thumbnails to the desired position.
Merge and Add Pages
What about combining pages from one PDF with pages from another PDF? Preview also has your back in this case. Start by opening both PDFs and making sure their sidebars contain page thumbnails. Then drag one or more thumbnails from one sidebar to the other, dropping them between the required pages of the destination PDF. You may also drag a PDF from the Finder into the sidebar to include all of the pages from that PDF document. Alternatively, you may control-click in the sidebar and select Import from iPhone or iPad to take a photo or scan a document to enter into the document.
Consider the following scenario: someone requests corrections or comments on a PDF.
Although Preview does not allow you to modify the text, it does allow you to make annotations on the page. If you need to make changes to the text of a PDF, you should use Adobe Acrobat or another PDF tool such as Smile’sPDFpen to do it.
When you’re sharing a PDF, you may wish to redact sensitive information to ensure that it cannot be seen by others. The Preview application in macOS 11 Big Sur has the ability to permanently conceal and erase chosen text from a document. Select ToolsRedact from the drop-down menu and the text you wish to conceal. The ability to imitate redaction in older versions of macOS is achieved by covering text with a colored rectangle. Unfortunately, receivers may be able to erase your rectangle or duplicate the text that appears beneath it if they are not careful.
For real redaction in previous versions of macOS, Acrobat or PDFpen are the tools of choice.
Fill PDF Forms
Although Preview does not have the ability to build fillable PDF forms (for that, you should use Acrobat or Smile’sPDFpenPro), it does a good job of inputting information into such forms. For example, if you need to fill out an IRS form for your company, Preview should be sufficient for the task. Simply type into a field after clicking it, or check a checkbox to select it. One word of caution. We’ve received complaints that Windows users who are viewing PDFs with forms filled out in Preview are occasionally unable to see the text that has been typed.
Otherwise, you may use the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to complete the task.
Because so much paperwork has been converted to digital format, we are frequently required to sign PDFs. The most significant papers will almost certainly be signed using a service like asSignEasy, which is created specifically for gathering legally binding, secure signatures. However, for something as easy as a permit application, you may add your signature in Preview by clicking the Signature button in the Markup toolbar and selecting it from the drop-down menu. Incorporating (and resizing) a previously made signature is straightforward, as is the one-time procedure of creating one.
- You can write on the trackpad of your Mac with your finger or a rubber-tipped iPad stylus if it has one.
- You may also generate a signature on an iPhone or iPad if you are running macOS 10.15 Catalina or later.
- Be aware that Preview’s signature is only an image, which means it is no more safeguarded than a handwritten signature, which might also be scanned or photocopied.
- You may learn about all of Preview’s capabilities by reading the Take Control of Preview ebook, which is 178 pages long.
Do not be fooled into believing that you need to purchase a costly copy of Adobe Acrobat DC in order to add and remove pages from PDFs, annotate documents, redact text, fill PDF forms, and sign documents. Preview is capable of doing all of this and more for free.
How to Black out Text in PDF? (A Complete Guide)
PDF files are used to exchange information both within an organization and with external parties outside of the company. The PDF file format is used by organizations to distribute corporate reports, agreements, and other information to key stakeholders. It is possible that you may need to inspect the file for sensitive and secret information before sharing it, and you may need to conceal it if necessary. There are a plethora of free PDF blackout tools available online. Redacting is the term used to describe this editing procedure.
Why Do You Need to Black Out Texts in PDF Documents Sometimes?
In the words of Ali Tarek of Fishing Creative, “If you want to share a sensitive document with a third party without allowing them access to the secret information included inside the papers, you may desire to blackout texts in the PDF files.” This procedure is referred to as redacting, and it may be quite useful when it comes to concealing sensitive information. Social security numbers, contact information, information about rivals, and even some trademark pictures are examples of material that is frequently censored.
When it comes to protecting personal and sensitive information from being disclosed or utilized by law enforcement, government agencies, major and small enterprises, and other third parties, redaction is vital.
In other countries, this is optional.
Legal expenses, penalties, fines, and the loss of consumer confidence can all contribute to a startup’s inability to continue operations.
How to Redact Text in PDF for Free?
An unauthorized third party might get access to critical information about the company’s operations if the PDF document’s redaction was performed incorrectly. Adobe Acrobat Pro, which is available for free, allows you to safely redact text from PDF files. Follow this step-by-step guide to learn how to black out text in a PDF document.
- Start by opening the PDF document and selecting the text you want to remove from it. Make a selection from the Tools drop-down menu and press Enter. A secondary toolbar will appear on top of the PDF file soon after it is opened. Select the choice to mark for redaction from the toolbar and then click OK. By double-clicking on the text that you wish to black out, you can make it disappear. To make the changes, select Apply from the toolbar and then OK to confirm.
The ability to redact all private information from a file, such as authorship or revision history, is also available. You must choose ‘yes’ when the box invites you to ‘Remove Hidden Information From The File’ in order to do this. With the use of the locate text tool from the tools menu, you can simply redact only select words, phrases, or names from a document without having to go through the entire page. Alternatively, you may repeat the redaction procedure throughout the whole page while also confirming the work completed by the Adobe Acrobat Pro tool.
Other Free PDF Redaction Methods
Additionally, there are several alternative free pdf blackout text solutions available, including:
This program assists in the creation of pdf files in more than 300 different formats. It is possible to convert pdf files into a variety of various file formats, alter their content, and even annotate them with this program. This may be accomplished by visiting the soda PDF website and selecting the PDF editor tool from the list of options under the view and edit menu. After you’ve uploaded or shared a pdf file using Google Drive or Dropbox, choose the pdf file you wish to redact. When the edit box is displayed, select the create option from the secure toolbar.
After you have finished redacting, click on the ‘apply’ option to save your changes.
With the aid of this program, you may easily redact pdf files. This is a straightforward interface that makes it simple to edit pdf files. This tool assists in the addition of text as well as the modification of the pdf by the addition of shapes and drawings.
“This program assists in the creation of pdf files in more than 300 different formats. It is possible to convert pdf files into a variety of various file formats, alter their content, and even annotate them with this program. It is necessary to visit theSmallSEOtoolswebsite and locate the word to pdf tool within the view and edit list in order to complete the procedure. After you’ve uploaded or shared a pdf file using Google Drive or Dropbox, choose the pdf file you wish to redact. When the edit box is displayed, select the create option from the secure toolbar.
After you have finished redacting, click on the ‘apply’ button to save your changes.”
Blackout PDF Online
This is a fantastic redaction solution for pdf files that does not require the usage of any other software. This service is completely free and incredibly simple to use. Users must upload the pdf file and use the “blackout” option from the top toolbar to make it visible. Following that, you may immediately highlight the material that has to be redacted. After the redaction process is done, click on the Done button. When it comes to corporations, redaction is a vital tool for those who are crying for privacy safeguards.
The redacting tools assist in concealing only the information that is protected while leaving the rest of the material entirely intact and unaffected.
So, if you want to blackout PDF documents for free, you need hunt for the appropriate program.
How to Black Out Text in PDF on Mac/Windows/Online
In the course of sending someone a paper document or a letter, your private information or some sensitive elements will be made public along with the document or letter. The undesired portions of such items can be blacked out with a large black pen in order to prevent them from being leaked. Individuals still have to deal with privacy disclosure even in the digital age when sharing images or PDF files to others. Fortunately, the ideal solution to this problem remains the same as it was decades ago, which means you may likewise black out critical information in a PDF file.
This post will introduce you to some capable PDF editors for Windows, Mac, and the web, as well as provide you with thorough lessons on how to use them on various operating systems, including Linux and Mac.
If you want to learn more, continue reading this article. Related Article: How to Remove a Watermark from a PDF in Seven Simple Steps
How to Black Out Text in PDF on Windows
There are a plethora of PDF editors available for Windows users to choose from. Among all of these programs, Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and EaseUS PDF Editor are two that need to be mentioned. This section will introduce you to their features and lead you through the process of redacting text from PDF documents.
Tool 1. EaseUS PDF Editor
This PDF editing software is so versatile that it allows you to alter the PDF contents in a variety of ways with a few simple clicks on the mouse. When the phrases in the PDF are sensitive and may result in personal information being disclosed, deleting them completely is the most dependable technique of redacting the document. On the other hand, there are situations when the words are not unsuitable to the level that you need to delete them, but you still want to alert people that the material is inappropriate.
- This PDF editing software can assist you in redacting the PDF using one of these two approaches.
- Redaction of PDF documents with EaseUS PDF Editor: The first step is to launch EaseUS PDF Editor.
- Secondly, select Edit from the drop-down menu on the right sidebar of the screen.
- Drag your mouse to select the words or sentences you wish to redact, then hit the “Backspace” key on your keyboard to permanently remove them from your document.
- Additionally, you must click on the “Edit button” and then pick “Edit TextImages” from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3.To save or save as the altered PDF file, you must select “Save” or “Save As” from the “File” menu.
Tool 2. Adobe Acrobat
This program provides you with all of the fundamental PDF editing features you may require. For example, you may build a PDF file from scratch or convert a file to another format, such as.doc or.xls, and then convert that file back to a PDF. It’s also quite straightforward for you to change the contents of a PDF or manage its pages with this program as well. With little effort, you can put text and images into a PDF document and change them as needed. This editor will be of great use to you in your business.
- Additionally, if signing a paper document is impractical, you may eSign PDF documents with an electronic signature by utilizing this software.
- Firstly, open the PDF file that you wish to redact, and then pick “Redact” from the “Tools” drop-down menu.
- You must choose “Redact TextImages” from the drop-down menu.
- The sentence you wish to redact will be selected when you drag the cursor over it.
- Step 3.Right-click on the desktop and select “Redact” from the pop-up menu.
Click on the “Apply” button to redact the contents of the document you chose in Step 4. Then you’ll see that black lines completely cover the text you’ve chosen to be blacked out. In order to save the altered PDF file to your computer, click on the “File” button and then select “Save.” Download:
How to Redact a PDF on Mac
If you want to learn how to redact PDF on a Mac, you may use a product called PDF Expert, which is available for download. Overall, this is an excellent PDF reader that offers a variety of reading modes in a variety of contexts to make your PDF reading experience more enjoyable and productive. You may also use this program to edit PDF files, in addition to the other features. When you open a PDF file in this program, it can recognize the font, size, and other characteristics of the original text and provide you with a tool to easily alter the text.
- It is also useful when you need to protect sensitive information included within a PDF document.
- Install the program on your Mac and open the PDF file that you wish to redact using this application.
- Step 2.
- Step 3: Choose the words you wish to redact from the list that appears.
- If you choose to “Blackout” the text, the words you wish to redact will be obscured by black lines, however if you choose to “Erase” the text, the words you wish to erase will be removed completely.
- This tool will create a black box around the sensitive information.
How to Block Out Text in PDF Online
Smallpdf is a flexible and user-friendly online PDF editing tool that stands out among the many strong online PDF editing tools available. Its user interface is so simple and straightforward that even complete beginners will have no trouble locating the buttons they need to press. There is also no need to waste time making an account. It is open to everyone who wants it. With the help of this online tool, you can quickly and easily add text, photos, and shapes to your PDF files. When it becomes essential to make changes to the material you’ve added, you may change the size, font, and color of the text.
- You will learn how to redact text from a PDF document using Smallpdf in this article.
- How to Redact a PDF Document Online: Start by visiting the website of this online application and importing the PDF file that has to be redacted.
- Adding items to your website is made easy by a toolbar at the top of the page, which has shapes, lines, and text that you may customize.
- Step 3.You will be presented with three options for customizing the rectangle that you wish to include.
- Step 4: Draw a rectangle and slide it around until it completely covers the sensitive text you wish to hide from view.
Step 5: Now, you may save the altered PDF to your device by clicking on the “Download” button in the upper right corner of the screen. It also provides the option of saving the content to Dropbox or Google Drive. Try:
This post describes three alternative techniques of redacting PDFs that are accessible on different operating systems. Whatever your operating system (Windows or Mac), those instructions can help you learn how to blackout text in PDF with a few easy clicks. If you want to redact documents in other formats, you may do it with the help of other handy tools; nonetheless, the procedure of redacting them may be fairly similar to the one described above. If you have figured out how to black out text in a PDF, you should try editing your PDFs right away.
How to Block out Text in PDF Easily
When you need to conceal certain information in a document that you wish to publish with the public but keep secret, you may use the PDF textblocking feature to accomplish so. This is accomplished through the use of a redaction tool, which allows you to choose a block of text from your PDF document and replace it with a black rectangle after it has been selected. In addition to being rendered invisible, the text has been totally erased from the PDF document as well. The document will not be compromised if it is shared and by chance falls into the hands of hackers who may wish to extract important information from it and use it against you.
Using the redaction option, you may exclude a sentence, a number of lines, or an entire page from a document.
How to Block out Text in PDF Easily
It is recommended that you use PDFelement Pro if you want to block text in a PDF document quickly and efficiently. Besides providing you with the ability to redact PDF files, this tool also has several additional features that you will find to be quite beneficial. One of these features is the ability to convert PDF files to other file formats in a relatively short period of time. In the case of a PDF file that has to be converted into a Word, Excel, or Rich Text document, PDFelement Pro will allow you to accomplish it in a matter of seconds with only a few mouse clicks.
It gives you the freedom to create text fields and buttons as you see fit.
Additional PDFelement Pro features include:
- When you use this PDF redaction tool, you can quickly and simply black out a whole section of a document and secure your PDF files. It is equipped with OCR technology, which allows you to edit, search, and copy scanned copies of PDF files with relative ease. It allows you to convert your PDF documents into a variety of other output formats. It provides you with a variety of options for improving the security of PDF files, including redaction and digital signatures. It offers a user-friendly graphical user interface.
Steps for Blocking out PDF Texts on Mac
The first thing you need to do is download PDFelement Pro for Mac, which you can get here. After you have successfully downloaded the software, you will need to install it by dragging and dropping it into the “Applications” folder on your Mac, and then run it in order to view the main application window.
Step 2. Import the PDF File to Block out
The first step after installing and opening PDFelement Pro is to open the PDF file that you wish to exclude from the program’s main window by clicking on the “Open File” button in the program’s main window.
Step 3. Block Out PDF Texts on Mac
After the PDF file has been opened, you’ll need to navigate to the upper right corner of the program window and select the “Protect” option from the drop-down list. Click on the “Redact” button and then select the “TextImage” or “Pages” that you want to redact from the drop-down menu. After that, you’ll need to click “Redaction” and then “Apply Redactions” in order to save your modifications.
How to easily redact text in a PDF on your Mac
PDF files, which are widely used, record text and graphics in almost the same way as they appear in the application that produced them. The format is intended to hold text as well as bitmapped and vector pictures, with the content being searchable, copyable, and even editable in the appropriate software if used in conjunction with it. When someone try to redact facts from a PDF before distribution—redacting details from a court case, government records, or even internal corporate communications—by putting black boxes over the words and paragraphs they wish to protect, the “copying” portion may lead to a world of difficulty.
Someone who wants to extract the text from beneath the obfuscation may simply drag over the region with a selection tool or pick Select All from the page’s drop-down menu.
In some cases, such as a court case involving an associate of Rudolph Giuliani, proper redaction can prevent embarrassing, proprietary, or secret material from getting out into the public domain.
The use of these black-box overlays has resulted in a number of humiliating and legally catastrophic situations dating back several decades.
In the event that you need to remove text from a document before sending it—and you are unable to do so by simply deleting the information contained in the source document that was used to create the PDF and creating a new one—you can use a variety of apps to snip secret, legally prohibited, embarrassing, or proprietary text from a PDF before sending it on its way to its destination.
macOS Preview app
A PDF file, which is widely used, captures text and graphics in almost the same way as they appear in the application that generated them. The format is intended to hold text as well as bitmapped and vector pictures, with the content being searchable, copyable, and even editable in the appropriate software when used in conjunction with the format. When people try to redact details from a PDF before distribution—redacting details from a court case, government documents, or even inter-company communications—by drawing black boxes over the words and paragraphs they want to protect, that “copying” part can lead to a world of trouble — and even death — for them.
Those wishing to extract the text from beneath the obfuscation may simply drag over the region using a selection tool or pick Select All from the page’s menu bar.
In some cases, such as a court case involving an associate of Rudolph Giuliani, proper redaction might prevent embarrassing, proprietary, or confidential material from coming out, as in this case.
There have been some humiliating and legally disastrous situations caused by these black-box overlays that have occurred over the course of a few of generations.
In the event that you need to remove text from a document before sending it—and you are unable to do so by simply deleting the information contained in the source document that was used to create the PDF and creating a new one—you can use a variety of apps to snip secret, legally prohibited, embarrassing, or proprietary text from a PDF before sending it on its journey.
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (which is included as part of a Creative Cloud membership) also has a redaction tool, which can be accessed through the EditRedact TextImages menu option. When you initially activate the function, Adobe provides you with information about how it works. Acrobat informs you that any text you enter will be permanently erased, and it also provides a sanitization option. Selecting the tool allows you to move text and pictures about in a document, which Acrobat highlights with a red outline to indicate that they will be fully deleted when the document is saved.
The “sanitize” feature in Acrobat removes a variety of hidden metadata, including the document’s author, which is often pre-filled with the name of the person who is using the computer or app; invisible but searchable text layers, which are created when a document is imported as a set of images and the text is algorithmically identified; and any text that runs off the page or is completely off in the margins and cannot be selected.
Before the file is saved, Acrobat displays the text selection for redaction in the upper left corner.
When you apply redaction, sanitization is chosen by default; however, you may disable it by flipping a switch on the side of the screen.
PDFPen and PDFPen Pro
Smile’s PDFPen and PDFPen Pro both provide redaction capabilities. Text may be selected using the Tools menu. Using the Tools menu, choose Textor a region. Make use of the Rectangle Tool and then use the FormatRedact Text – Block option. The picture that resulted has been cleaned up. PDFPen requires you to first choose the text or a portion of text using a conventional tool, after which you may apply redaction using a menu selection. Both versions additionally provide the option for FormatRedact Text – Erase, which eliminates the text while leaving sections of white behind instead of black, as an additional feature.
Ask Mac 911
With the help of our readers, we’ve prepared a list of the most often asked questions, along with answers and links to relevant columns: Check out our comprehensive FAQ to see if your query has been answered. Whatever the case, we’re always on the lookout for new challenges to solve! Send yours to [email protected], along with any screen shots you’d want to include and if you’d like your complete name to be published. Please be aware that we cannot answer all of your questions, and we do not respond to emails.
We also cannot give direct troubleshooting help. Please keep in mind that if you make a purchase after clicking on links in our articles, we may receive a small fee. For additional information, please see our affiliate link policy.
How to black out text in a PDF document correctly?
Miosz Cybowski and Micha Baejewicz are two of the most talented people in the world. Document redaction may take various forms – it is possible that overwriting the text in our document, which appears to be 100 percent successful at first sight, is in reality a trap that exposes our company’s confidential information. When it comes to redacting papers, what should you check for? Officer patients on the unit were required to censor letters written by all enlisted men on the ward, which was a difficult task (.).
- (.) He created games in order to break up the boredom.
- Despite the fact that it is presented in a purposely humorous setting, the passage above from Joseph Heller’s novel “Catch 22” illustrates the traditional method of purging the content of papers by simply blacking out a problematic section of text with a broad black pen.
- Note that this approach is connected with substantial risks with the digital form of this method, and that learning how to use the “digital pen” correctly is frequently required.
- No one would be amused if their financial information, which had been wrongly redacted, ended up in the wrong hands.
- The proper application of blackening is, without a doubt, essential.
- Today, the most often used choices are those that are incorporated into popular software; nonetheless, customized applications that offer consumers expert data redaction are occasionally preferred over the built-in ones.
Where do problems with blackening of electronic documents come from?
Insufficient or inept blackening of papers can cause two types of problems, which are classified as follows: The first is a lack of knowledge that many files, in addition to the main material that we see on the computer, also contain attributes that need to be considered (or metadata). As a consequence, even if we remove the most clear and visible information from the body of the document, there may still be a means to access it based on the information stored in the file’s attributes. Particularly crucial when sharing complete files rather than just their content is the ability to encrypt them.
FORDATA provides users with the option of viewing simply the content of documents, rather than having the option of downloading them, which is one of the alternatives available to them.
The ineffective blackening of the text of the document itself falls into the second group of issues that might arise during redaction procedures.
Because the content itself is unaffected by the blackening, it is just necessary to use a basic tool for marking text and transferring the material to another file to discover the information that has been hidden from the user.
Although the material will be invisible to the naked eye, all that is required is a simple marking and the copy / paste command to gain access to ineffectively concealed information.
What does blacking out (of text) in PDF documents look like?
Not only that, but there’s more. By covering the bits of text with a black stripe, we are essentially adding another layer to the file in this example of blackening the text. Thus, even though we do not have access to the original file (for example, if the file is made available in the VDR system only as a readable copy of itself), it is possible that the mechanism for loading a document with hidden content may for a brief period of time “display” content to a user that was not intended to be visible.
the original content of the document) and progressing to the levels positioned on top (i.e.later added elements, such as the black strip itself).
PDF anonymization – how to effectively black out documents?
It should be recalled that, in order to effectively blacken crucial data in documents in a digital version, it is not enough to just conceal the material; it is also required to completely remove it. We will not be able to determine whether or not the content has been deleted until we are certain that it has been. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (the commercial version of the most popular PDF viewer) has a function that allows you to alter the content of PDF documents. Following the selection of the suitable words, text fragments, or complete pages, the application will automatically delete that content from the document with the aid of this feature.
In this method, the darkened file can be freely shared with third parties without restriction.
In the event that we do not have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and/or if we just have a small number of documents to redact, we can do the redaction manually by exporting the document to another format, such as a jpg file.
IrfanView, GIMP, and even Paint).
The file is then saved in a graphic format, or it can be converted back to its original format if it has been modified.
In the article “What is an electronic document repository?” we go into further detail about how FORDATA VDR may be used as a business document repository.
We should thus thoroughly evaluate all of the possible options before proceeding with this assignment to ensure that they are completely functional.
Use the FORDATA Virtual Data Room for free for the first 14 days!