Can deleted text messages be retrieved, and how?
- Text messages can be retrieved after being deleted. While you cannot recover deleted text messages on your phone, you — or someone else — can purchase software programs that allow your computer to uncover and read your deleted text messages.
- 1 Can you recover deleted text messages?
- 2 Where do deleted texts go?
- 3 Can you recover deleted texts on iPhone without backup?
- 4 Is there a free way to recover deleted text messages?
- 5 Can you recover deleted texts from iPhone?
- 6 How do I see deleted messages on my iPhone?
- 7 How can I recover deleted messages from mobile?
- 8 How far back can text messages be retrieved?
- 9 How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone and Android
- 10 Before trying to recover deleted text messages
- 11 How to recover deleted texts on Android
- 12 How to retrieve deleted text messages on Android using recovery software
- 13 Retrieve deleted messages on Android by getting in touch with your phone carrier
- 14 How to recover deleted texts on iPhone without a computer
- 15 How to recover deleted texts on iPhone using Finder on your Mac
- 16 How to retrieve deleted text messages for iPhone using recovery software
- 17 Retrieve deleted messages on iPhone from your carrier
- 18 How to recover deleted text messages on an iPhone, either from a backup or using a third-party app
- 19 How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiCloud
- 20 How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiTunes
- 21 Third-party apps for recovering texts on youriPhone
- 22 Related coverage fromHow To DoEverything: Tech:
- 23 Recover Missing Messages from Facebook, WhatsApp, or Messages
- 24 How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone with iCloud Recovery
- 25 How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone: Restore from Your Computer
- 26 Recover Deleted Texts: Contact Your Cell Phone Service Provider
- 27 Recover Deleted Text Messages: iPhone Apps
- 28 How to recover deleted text messages on your Android phone
- 29 A little about how deletion and storage works
- 30 Carriers often have all your texts stored
- 31 Use data recovery software
- 32 How to recover deleted text messages on iPhone
- 33 Recover deleted texts using an iCloud backup
- 34 Recover deleted texts from an iTunes or Finder backup
- 35 Restore deleted texts by contacting your carrier
- 36 Restore deleted texts using a third-party app
- 37 How to Recover Deleted Text Messages: Your Complete Guide
- 38 Method 1: Recover deleted text messages from iPhone backup
- 39 Method 2: Recover deleted texts messages from iCloud website
- 40 Method 3: Recover deleted texts on Android
- 41 Method 4: Contact your carrier
- 42 Prevent deleted business text messages
- 43 How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on Android (Ultimate Guide)
- 44 Can You Retrieve Deleted Texts?
- 45 Best Solution: Use Android SMS Recovery Software
- 46 FAQ: Can I Recover Deleted Messages on Android without Root?
- 47 FAQ: Is it Possible to Recover Deleted Text Messages on Android Without Computer
- 48 Hot Tip: Back up Messages on Android Phones
Can you recover deleted text messages?
The reason text messages are so difficult to recover is that there’s no recycle bin for this kind of data. As soon as you delete a text, your phone’s operating system marks it as deleted. The text isn’t actually deleted, though — the text is marked as eligible to be overwritten with new data.
Where do deleted texts go?
The Android operating system stores text messages in the phone’s memory, so if they’re deleted, there’s no way to retrieve them. You can, however, install a text message backup application from the Android market that allows you to restore any deleted text messages.
Can you recover deleted texts on iPhone without backup?
How to recover deleted text messages from iPhone without backup: Use USB cable to connect your iPhone to your Mac and launch Cisdem iPhone Recovery on Mac. Choose “Recover from iOS Device” option, this iPhone data recovery will detect your device. After you preview the messages, select the messages you want to recover.
Is there a free way to recover deleted text messages?
With the help of third-party recovery tools, you are now able to get back lost SMS at any time. FoneDog Toolkit- Android Data Recovery, which is a third-party Android SMS recovery tool providing a free version for up to 30 days for you to preview lost or deleted files from any Android devices.
Can you recover deleted texts from iPhone?
You can recover deleted text messages on your iPhone with an iCloud or iTunes backup. If all else fails, you should reach out to your cellular carrier, as they can sometimes recover deleted messages for you.
How do I see deleted messages on my iPhone?
How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone with iCloud Recovery
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on your Apple ID profile at the top.
- Tap on iCloud.
- Scroll down if needed and tap on iCloud Backup.
- Now check to see if the time of your last successful backup was before or after you deleted the texts on your iPhone.
How can I recover deleted messages from mobile?
Here is what you can do to recover deleted text messages on your Android smartphone.
- Connect Android to Windows. First of all, launch Android Data Recovery on a computer.
- Choose to restore text messages.
- Install FonePaw App.
- Permission to scan deleted messages.
- Recover text messages from Android.
- Deep scan for recovery.
How far back can text messages be retrieved?
All of the providers retained records of the date and time of the text message and the parties to the message for time periods ranging from sixty days to seven years. However, the majority of cellular service providers do not save the content of text messages at all.
How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone and Android
Did you just make the mistake of deleting a text message? Another possibility is if you erased a whole chat. Oops. Don’t get too worked up over it just yet. If you frequently back up your phone, there is a chance that you will be able to recover a lost text message. Alternatively, if your phone is not frequently backed up, you may need to bring in recovery software or contact your service provider for assistance. It is discussed in this post how to recover deleted text messages, regardless of whether you are using an iPhone or an Android smartphone.
Before trying to recover deleted text messages
Are you attempting to recover a photo from a lost text message or double-checking an appointment reminder? Check your picture app or your calendar to see what’s going on. Photos and appointments are sometimes automatically synchronized between such applications and the cloud. And, if the option is available, it doesn’t hurt to reach out to the other person in the text discussion before proceeding with the dialogue. They may be able to offer you with a screenshot or a copy of the information you want.
How to recover deleted texts on Android
If you just erased the texts, it’s possible that you’ll be able to recover them. Although it is not assured, the sooner you begin the process of recovering lost text messages, the greater your chances of success are likely to be. Step 1: Enable Airplane Mode on your smartphone. Text messages on an Android phone are not deleted from the phone immediately after they are sent or received. It will be marked as inactive until new data is generated, at which point the removed text will be overwritten with the new data.
Go to Google Drive on your computer’s desktop and look for the date and time when your SMS was most recently backed up.
By accessing Google Drive, you can see when your texts were last backed up and when they were not.
- Google Drive should be opened. Navigate to theMenu, selectSettings, and then Google Backup. The name of your device should be mentioned if it has been backed up
- Otherwise, you should read “Not backed up.” Choose the name of your device from the drop-down menu. SMS Text Messages should be shown, along with a timestamp showing when the most recent backup was performed. You’ll want the backup to be from before you erased the text
- Otherwise, the text will be lost.
By heading to SystemBackup, you can also check when your phone was last backed up in general (and whether or not a backup is now accessible). Step 3: Perform a factory reset on your phone. Unfortunately, you will not be able to simply restore your text messages from Google Drive; instead, you will need to conduct a factory reset, after which you will be able to restore the data from your last backup on your Google Drive account. The navigation will seem different on different Android phones, but in general, you may follow the procedures outlined in the following section.
- Go to the Settings menu on your phone and select Factory Reset from the Reset drop-down menu.
Following a factory reset, follow the onscreen instructions to enter into your Google Drive account and restore the most recent backup you made.
How to retrieve deleted text messages on Android using recovery software
Want to retrieve lost text messages without having to restore your phone to its factory defaults? Install recovery software on your machine and see if it helps. Consider doing this procedure only if you absolutely, positively must recover a deleted text. Recovery software can be prohibitively expensive, and there is no assurance that it would work in your situation. Recovery software can also be dangerous if you are unfamiliar with the technology that is used in the procedure. Some solutions may need root access to your mobile device, which implies that the program would have full access to your phone’s data.
If you want to pursue this approach, avoid installing the program on the same storage drive that previously had your deleted texts because it may overwrite the existing data.
As a result, your phone will not be able to receive any new data, which might potentially overwrite the previously erased messages.
Please remember that you are using any text message recovery program at your own risk. Step 3: Enable USB Debugging on your computer. In this way, your gadget and PC will be able to connect with one another. The steps in the next section will differ based on your Android smartphone.
- Activate Developer Mode by going toSettings > About Phone > Software Information > Build Number periodically until you find that Developer Mode has been enabled. Return to the Settings menu and select Developer Options. Enable USB Debugging.
Step 4: Launch the recovery software and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process. You will be asked to connect your phone at this point. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Retrieve deleted messages on Android by getting in touch with your phone carrier
This method may only be useful in the most severe of circumstances (e.g., you need the texts as evidence in court). Your carrier retains text messages for a period of time after they have been erased, and they may be able to retrieve the information you want from their servers. Even if the reason for your request is modest, it is doubtful that your carrier will retrieve deleted text messages, but it doesn’t hurt to inquire if you are interested in attempting to recover them.
How to recover deleted texts on iPhone without a computer
Step 1: Discontinue sending text messages. In the event that a text message is removed from a phone’s memory, the space where the text was stored is tagged as “unallocated.” The message data will remain in the space until it is overwritten by a new message. Hold off on messaging in order to maximize the likelihood that you will not override the erased text. Step 2: Make sure you have a backup of your data stored on iCloud. If you routinely back up your iPhone using iCloud, it is possible that your deleted texts will be recovered.
- Navigate to theSettings menu. Select your name from the drop-down menu at the top of the screen. Tap oniCloud
- Tap oniCloud backup to enable them. You should be able to determine whether or not it is enabled, as well as when the most recent backup was done.
If everything checks out, you’ll need to restore your iPhone to the most recent backup.
- Go toSettings
- Choose General
- Scroll all the way down to Reset
- And then press OK. Tap onErase All Content and Settings
- Tap onErase Now
- And then tap onErase Now again. When asked, select Restore from iCloud backup once the reset is complete.
Unfortunately, because you’re reverting to a previous version of your data, any data that was produced after the last backup will be lost as a result of this. Anything you want to save should be saved.
How to recover deleted texts on iPhone using Finder on your Mac
It’s possible that you have a copy of your deleted texts on your Mac. You may access your backups using the Finder (this feature is only available on Macs running macOS Catalina). If you don’t have Catalina, you can get it from iTunes. In order to restore the text message from a backup, it must have been taken before the text was removed. Connect your phone to your computer in the first step. Use a USB or USB-C to Lightning cable to connect your devices (depending on your computer). If you receive a notification asking you to enter your passcode or to trust this computer, follow the on-screen instructions.
Choose your iPhone from the left-hand column.
Look through each backup’s date range and select the one that was created before you removed your text.
How to retrieve deleted text messages for iPhone using recovery software
Not interested in restoring your phone in order to recover deleted text messages? Think about saving recovery software on your computer’s desktop, but do so entirely at your own risk. The cost of recovery software is high and it is not guaranteed to function, and most of them will require you to have an iCloud backup, but you will be able to retrieve only the data you are searching for (instead of having to restore your phone). Before proceeding, make sure you’ve done your research and that you’re working with a reputable firm.
Step 1: Save the recovery program to your computer’s desktop.
You should proceed at your own risk if you use any recovery software at all.
Step 2: Connect your phone to your computer using a connection that is suitable with both devices. Make use of the Lightning to USB (or USB-C) connector that came with your iPhone to connect to your computer. Step 3: Comply with the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Retrieve deleted messages on iPhone from your carrier
In an emergency circumstance, your carrier may be able to assist you (e.g., you need the texts as evidence in court). Even if the reason for your request is trivial, it is doubtful that your carrier will retrieve deleted text messages for you, but it doesn’t hurt to inquire if you are interested in attempting to do so. Zipwhip is revolutionizing the way companies and customers connect with one another. We were the first company to offer the option to text to and from a landline, toll-free, or VoIP telephone number, and we have been at the forefront of the business ever since.
How to recover deleted text messages on an iPhone, either from a backup or using a third-party app
- If you need to retrieve essential text messages from your iPhone, you may need to restore your phone from a backup. Alternatively, third-party programs may be used to recover only the text you want without overwriting your whole iPhone
- However, these apps are pricey. More articles may be found on the Business Insider homepage.
Perhaps you wanted to free up some space on your iPhone’s storage. Maybe you’re just a tidy freak, and you purge your phone of all its previous text messages. However, you have accidentally lost an essential text message with a photo of your newborn niece or instructions to a friend’s party, and you require its recovery. The good news is that if you’ve been routinely backing up your iPhone, you should be able to recover your erased text. The bad news is that you may have to delete some of your other data in order to accomplish this.
How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiCloud
It is possible to recover a lost text message from an iCloud backup by doing a complete restore on your phone, which will restore your phone to a time when the text message was still present. The disadvantage of this is that you will almost certainly have to sign back into all of your applications. Depending on how long ago the backup you restore from was created, you may also lose some of the more recent data stored on your phone. 1.Open the Settings app on your phone and select General. 2. Tap your name at the top of the screen.
- 4.Choose iCloud Backup from the drop-down menu.
- Make a backup of your phone before restoring it, as shown in the photo.
- Select “Erase all content and settings” from the menu.
- Photo: Select “Erase Now” from the drop-down menu.
- It will take a few moments before you are met with the iPhone’s initial welcome screen.
- Choosing “Restore from iCloud Backup” from the AppsData screen is step 12.
- Choose the iCloud backup you wish to restore from the list of available backups, each of which has a date associated with it.
How to recover text messages on an iPhone usingiTunes
Apple’s iTunes allows you to recover lost text messages from your phone’s backup to your computer while the text you sought was still in your phone’s memory. It’s crucial to note that Apple will soon phase out iTunes on Mac computers in favor of specific music, TV, and podcasting programs, which means that the procedures outlined below may no longer be available to Mac users in the future. Installing a physical cable between your phone and your PC is recommended. 2.If iTunes does not open immediately, click on the icon to open it.
4.SelectSummary from the drop-down menu that appears on the left.
You may change it back after you’ve found the text you’re looking for.
Photo: To use the backup that was made on your computer, select “Restore Backup.” source Business Insider photographer Laura McCamy Please keep in mind that this procedure will not work if you have never backed up your iPhone to your computer, or if you have backed it up when you did not have that text.
Third-party apps for recovering texts on youriPhone
If you feel that these approaches are too drastic, you can use a third-party program to carefully restore just the text you want without overwriting your whole phone’s contents. There are a plethora of programs that can extract only the information you want from your iCloud backup. Keep in mind, too, that you’ll still need a backup copy of the content in case something goes wrong. Here are two applications to take into consideration. Although neither service is free to use, each is a one-time payment rather than a subscription.
- Price for a single license of Phone Rescue by iMobie is $49.99, and the price for a family pack of five licenses is $69.99. It enables you to search through your backups and retrieve only the data that you require that has been removed. This software also offers to assist you in reviving your iPhone if it becomes unresponsive. Enigma Recovery is available for purchase for $59.99 for a single license and $69.99 for a pack of three licenses. For $199.99, you may receive access to an infinite number of downloads. The program will examine your messages and allow you to select which ones you want to recover. If you want to finish the restore, you’ll need theRestore iOSapp, which is available for free.
Related coverage fromHow To DoEverything: Tech:
Is it possible that you mistakenly deleted a text message and now you need to recover it? However, there are various techniques for recovering lost text messages, so there is no need to be concerned! The steps to recover lost texts from an iCloud backup, as well as a few additional tips and tactics for recovering deleted text messages on an iPhone, will be covered in this article.
- Missing Messages on iPhone Can Be Recovered If You Don’t Believe They Were Deleted
- What is the best way to recover deleted iPhone messages using iCloud Recovery? Instructions on how to recover deleted text messages from your iPhone: Restore from Your Computer
- (MacOS Catalina or later)
- ITunes (previous MacOS versions or PC)
- Finder (MacOS Catalina or later)
- In order to recover deleted text messages from your iPhone, contact your service provider. Text Messages Can Be Recovered Using iPhone Applications
Recover Missing Messages from Facebook, WhatsApp, or Messages
It is possible to recover lost text messages or iMessages from your phone’s storage. You may also recover deleted Facebook messages or WhatsApp messages from your phone’s storage by following the techniques outlined below: You can search for old WhatsApp messages, search through Facebook messages, or search for SMS messages in a surprisingly short amount of time. In the event that you want information on how to recover lost texts on iPhone and you are certain that they have been destroyed, continue reading!
How to Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone with iCloud Recovery
The ability to restore lost text messages from an iPhone using an ICloud backup is a terrific feature. If you routinely back up your iPhone to iCloud, you should be able to use this approach to recover any deleted texts that were accidentally removed from your device. If you haven’t already, you should absolutely start backing up your data to the cloud regularly! The iCloud backup service is an excellent option for backing up a large amount of vital data, not only messages that may be accidentally erased.
First, Check Your Last iCloud Backup
It is essential that the most recent successful backup occurred prior to the deletion of the messages in order to be able to restore them from the iPhone’s deleted messages section. Assuming this is the case, you can retrieve lost text messages by restoring the last successful backup! If it doesn’t work, you’ll have to attempt another approach, such as utilizing your most recent computer backup to recover the lost messages you accidentally destroyed.
- Open the Settings application. At the top of the screen, choose your Apple ID profile. Select iCloud from the drop-down menu. If necessary, scroll down and choose oniCloud Backup. To determine if your last successful backup occurred before or after you deleted the texts from your iPhone, go to Settings > Backup > Last Successful Backup.
The chances are good that the iCloud backup predated the period when the texts were removed from your iPhone. Then proceed to the next step to learn how to recover the deleted texts from an iCloud backup. The computer backup technique should be used if the previous successful backup occurred after the messages were erased from your iPhone. If this is the case, use the computer backup method next.
Restore Deleted Messages on iPhone with iCloud Backup
In order to recover the lost messages, you’ll need to wipe your iPhone and restore it from a backup that was taken before to the deletion of the messages. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open the Settings application. Scroll down and select General from the drop-down menu. SelectReset at the bottom of the page after scrolling all the way down. SelectErase All Content and Settings from the drop-down menu. Keep in mind that most of your settings will remain intact when you restore your iCloud backup, but you may need to log back into some of your applications. In the confirmation menu that appears, select the second option, which is as follows: Now is the time to erase. The option Backup Then Erase must not be selected, since this would result in the loss of any prior backups and the inability to retrieve any erased text messages. Now that your iPhone has been completely wiped, it will operate as if it were a brand new device. Follow the on-screen prompts until you reach the AppsDatapage
- Then click Finish. On the AppsData screen, select Restore from iCloud Backup as the restore method. Sign in to iCloud and enter any passwords that have been requested by iCloud Backup
- Proceed to Choose backup and then select from a list of available backups in iCloud to complete the process. Other than the backup you checked before starting, there may be even older backups available for you to select from. Select the most recent text message that was sent before the text messages were deleted. Please keep in mind that the older a backup is, the more probable it is that it will not contain any other essential data that you have added to your iPhone since the backup was created. It’s possible that you’ll have to enter into all of your accounts again when your iPhone is restored.
Upon completion of this process, check to see if you have successfully retrieved the lost text messages from your iPhone. If this is the case, go to the next section.
How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone: Restore from Your Computer
Not to worry if the previous technique of recovering lost text messages did not work; there is another method of retrieving deleted text messages that involves utilizing your computer. If you have been making frequent backups to your computer, you should be able to view any stored messages via your local backups, in a manner similar to how you can recover deleted messages from aniCloud backup on your iPhone. Therefore, even if you have automatic iCloud backups set, it is suggested that you frequently back up your iPhone to your computer.
Important: It’s conceivable that you have deactivated this aspect of the PC / Mac synchronization procedure, in which case you may not be able to read your text messages from this location.
First, Disable Find My iPhone
The first thing you must do before restoring your iPhone from a computer backup is to disable the Find My iPhone function by logging into your Apple account and entering your Apple ID and password. A Finder or iTunes backup cannot be restored when Find My iPhone is turned on and active. This is intended to prevent someone from restoring a stolen iPhone from a backup they have created. This is followed by theFindermethod (for Mac OS X Catalina or later) or theiTunesmethod, depending on your preference (for older macOS versions and PCs).
- Open the Settings application. At the top of the screen, choose your Apple ID profile. ToggleFind My iPhone off by tappingFind My iPhone
- Then tapFind My iPhone on. In order to proceed, you’ll need to enter your Apple ID password.
Then, connect your iPhone to the computer that you use to sync it with your PC. It is possible to restore from iTunes if you are using an earlier version of macOS or if you have a computer that is not compatible with macOS. It is possible to restore from Finder if you have Mac OS X Catalina or later installed on your computer.
Restore Your iPhone from Finder (macOS Catalina or later) to Recover Deleted Messages
- If asked, selectTrust to enable your iPhone to trust and connect with this computer
- Otherwise, selectNo. After connecting your iPhone to your Mac, it should display in Finder under the Locations folder. To use it, simply click on it. A list of backups stored on your computer will show when you clickManage Backups. If you do not see any accessible backups, you will not be able to restore your iPhone from your computer
- Nonetheless, continue reading for further suggestions. Check the list to verify sure the most recent backup was produced before you deleted those text messages, but after you sent them if you do find older backups. If this is the case, click OK. You’re now ready to begin the restoration process. SelectRestore iPhone from the drop-down menu.
This procedure is time-consuming, especially if the backup is substantial in size. As long as your backup was created after the text messages were received and before they were deleted, you should be able to recover them using this method. Simply follow the on-screen instructions, and the iPhone will be restored to its previously backed-up form. After following the steps above and still being unable to recover the lost text messages from your iPhone, it may be necessary to contact your phone service provider to see if they have any suggestions on how to recover deleted text messages from an iPhone.
Restore Your iPhone with iTunes to Recover Deleted Text Messages (PC or macOS Mojaveearlier)
If you have a PC or are running macOS Mojave or an earlier version of the operating system on your Mac, you can attempt this approach to recover lost texts from your iPhone. However, if you have synced with this PC or Mac since removing your text messages, this approach will not work since iTunes only stores the most recent backup data for the purpose of restoring your phone’s data.
The following approach should successfully restore your lost text messages to your Messages app if you have not synced with iTunes after you erased them.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer that you use to sync it on a regular basis. iTunes will launch on its own own. If not, simply double-click the software to launch it. In the top-left corner of the screen, next to the drop-down menu, click the phone symbol to call someone. Otherwise, your iPhone is presumably not linked to your computer
- If it isn’t there, your iPhone is probably not connected to your computer. Make certain that you are on theSummarypage. To restore the data that has been backed up from your iPhone, including your deleted text messages, you will need to select Restore Backup from the drop-down menu. You may need to change your backup choices (located on the left-hand side of this page) from iCloud to This Computer if this option is grayed out on your computer. After you have recovered your iPhone, you may always modify this back to your liking.
If you have a large amount of data stored on your phone or Mac, this procedure may take a long time. In the hopes that you now have access to the lost texts, continue reading for further information on how to recover deleted text messages from your phone’s memory.
Recover Deleted Texts: Contact Your Cell Phone Service Provider
In rare cases, you may be able to recover lost text messages by calling your cellular service provider for assistance. It is possible that they will have access to backups from time to time if they have not been overwritten or updated. If you find yourself in a tight spot and really need messages returned, I recommend contacting them first before resorting to a third-party app or taking any other harsh measures. Since there are unlikely to be accurate menu suggestions to direct you to the appropriate department when you call, you’ll need to ask for technical help first, followed by an inquiry to talk with a person.
Recover Deleted Text Messages: iPhone Apps
We recommend that you use this method only as a last option if you want to recover deleted texts from your iPhone. It is possible to recover lost files and text messages from your iPhone using third-party apps, but they might be risky to use because they are not always reliable. Make sure you thoroughly read the reviews to assist you determine the validity of any app you are considering utilizing. In general, I would avoid using any of these programs to recover lost text messages, but if you find yourself in a tight spot and have no other option, there are a couple that have received positive ratings and are widely used online.
Even reliable sources on the internet should be carefully studied before you jump right in out of desperation since there are no assurances and you are putting yourself at the mercy of these programs and their authors.
If you’ve used a text message recovery app, we’d love to hear about your experience with it, as well as your thoughts on it.
How to recover deleted text messages on your Android phone
The Android Authority is a project led by Dhruv Bhutani. The feeling of having an important SMS message accidentally erased is one that you never get accustomed to experiencing. What are you going to do now? Users who are desperate to save those critical communications will go to any length to do so. The process of recovering lost messages is complicated, but it is possible with a little patience and perseverance.
The possibilities of getting those priceless text messages returned are good, and we can assist you in getting them back! More: The top ten SMS and messaging applications for Android devices.
A little about how deletion and storage works
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes Have you ever heard someone remark that when you remove files from your computer, they don’t necessarily disappear from your computer? This is correct. All of those data are tucked away someplace on the hard drive, ready to be recovered. or deleted entirely. In fact, this is exactly what occurs with Android devices as well. Everything we remove, including SMS messages, remains in the system until a sufficient amount of time has passed or until additional storage space is required for other data.
- Once we understand how deletion works, it isn’t a particularly difficult idea to grasp.
- Related: Which microSD cards for Android are the most effective?
- In other words, it is rendered inconspicuous and easily replaced.
- In other words, if you need to retrieve a text message, you should refrain from using your phone for a period of time because the message may be irreversibly erased after some time.
Carriers often have all your texts stored
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes Although this is not always a solution, it is nevertheless knowledge that may be useful in some situations. After further investigation, it was discovered that many wireless carriers retain your text messaging logs and other data for a long length of time. The only problem is that they are unlikely to provide such information to you just because you erased anything by mistake on your computer. Some carriers, on the other hand, may be willing to work with law enforcement if necessary.
- This, however, will not be of assistance to the majority of us, so let’s move on to what you can do to get outcomes.
- Some wireless providers have their own messaging applications, which can be backed up to the cloud in some cases.
- They even provide a web application and desktop software so that you may read your texts from any location.
- It may be worthwhile to check your backups and messaging applications on other devices if you have ever accidentally deleted an SMS while using one of these services.
Use data recovery software
So everything has gone missing, and you want to restore your texts. It may be possible to recover them using data recovery software, which will analyze your phone for deleted material and restore whatever content may still be there on it. Simple Google searches will turn up several data recovery tools for Android-based smartphones and tablets. Some are free, while others are not; nevertheless, many paid ones still include a free trial period prior to purchase. Android Data Recovery, Dr. Fone, Tenorshare UltData, and FonePaw are just a few of the most well-known recovery programs.
- Simply download and install the application on your computer, then launch it.
- The program will be included with comprehensive instructions.
- Imel, David (android authority.com) As you’ve just seen, this whole process of retrieving deleted text messages isn’t really plain forward.
- You’ve finally gotten rid of the dreaded object.
Regardless, the most effective method to tackle a problem is to avoid it in the first place. Many programs are available to assist you in backing up your text messages as well as other material. Let’s have a look at a few examples of them. More information:Backing up your Android phone
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes Google Drive is a fantastic cloud storage service that can be used for much more than just storing your papers and random files. You may use it to store backup copies of your text messages. Because it is a feature of the official Android backup service, we can all take advantage of it. Instructions for backing up your text messages to Google Drive are as follows:
- Navigate to your Android phone’sSettingsapp
- Tap onBackup
- ToggleBackup to Google Driveon
- And then press the Back up now button.
Please keep in mind that these instructions were written on an aPixel 4a with 5G running Android 12. Keep in mind that the procedures you take may change based on the device and software you’re working with.
Android Authority / Authorized by Edgar Cervantes
How to recover deleted text messages on iPhone
the android authority (Edgar Cervantes)
Recover deleted texts using an iCloud backup
This is most likely the quickest and most straightforward method of recovering deleted text. If you have an iCloud backup from before the period when you deleted the text, you should be able to restore your phone to that iCloud backup and restore the text back to your phone. Check to check if your most recent iCloud backup was taken before you erased your text message. If it was, you can restore it. OpenSettings, selectiCloudManage StorageBackups from the drop-down menu that appears at the top of the screen.
You may also restore a backup from a previous backup.
During the process of restoring from your iCloud backup, you’ll have to restore your iPhone back to its factory settings and set it up again from the ground up.
To reset your iPhone, navigate to GeneralResetErase All Content and Settings from the Home screen.
Recover deleted texts from an iTunes or Finder backup
iTunes allows you to back up your iPhone to your PC or Mac if you don’t want to rely on automated iCloud backups or if you don’t have enough iCloud storage space for them (or Finder inmacOS Catalinaor later). Using this approach, much like with the previous iCloud option, you must first create a backup of your phone from before you erased the message, then reset your phone and restore from that backup. You’ll lose anything that happened after the backup was made. Connect your iPhone to the PC or Mac on which you’ve made a backup of it.
To use the Finder on a Mac running macOS Catalina or later, launch it.
If you’re using a Mac running macOS Catalina or later, open Finder and pick your device from the left-hand menu bar.
This means that all of the data you previously backed up will now be overwritten by the data on your phone.
It will just take a few moments. In case you haven’t backed up your phone after deleting those text messages, they should suddenly surface in your phone’s messaging list as a result of the deletion.
Restore deleted texts by contacting your carrier
If you send text messages, your mobile phone company may maintain a record of them, at least for a period of time. If you accidentally erased a text message that is really important, you may be able to obtain a duplicate of it by contacting your wireless provider. Keep in mind that this will only work for SMS text messages (green bubble discussions), not iMessages or other instant messaging services (blue bubble conversations). Every iMessage is encrypted on your smartphone and isn’t decoded until it reaches its intended recipient, making it impossible for your carrier to keep track of them.
Furthermore, most carriers only maintain records of SMS communications for a limited amount of time; you are unlikely to be able to recover an SMS message from a year ago, for example.
Restore deleted texts using a third-party app
Many third-party software programs are available that claim to be able to recover deleted data from your iPhone, including text messages that have been erased. A little risky, because they’re nearly never free, and there’s no assurance that they will actually work. However, if you’ve tried all other choices and the situation is really critical, it could be worth a chance. PhoneRescue, Wondershare Dr. Fone, and Tenorshare UltData are just a few of the software solutions that have earned a positive reputation on the internet.
This may be due to the fact that one of the applications may be able to restore it.
For additional information, please see our affiliate link policy.
What I like doing is figuring out how intricate technology works and then explaining it in a way that everybody can comprehend.
How to Recover Deleted Text Messages: Your Complete Guide
Whether you require a copy of your text messages for legal reasons, business records, or simply for sentimental reasons, the question of how to recover deleted text messages can send a shiver down the spine of just about anyone when they begin searching through their phone for a special text and realize it is no longer there. Fortunately, there are several options available to help you recover deleted text messages. While our platform allows corporate clients to retain copies of all text logs for future reference, we are also specialists in the field of text messaging and are well-versed in the techniques for recovering deleted messages from your iPhone or Android device.
Contact us now to learn more. Do you want to retrieve deleted text messages from your phone? Follow these steps. No matter if you’re a smartphone junkie or if you need your texts for important reasons, this post will show you how to recover those deleted text messages.
Method 1: Recover deleted text messages from iPhone backup
Because the iTunes software has been removed from the macOS Catalina release, you will no longer be able to retrieve lost text messages using iTunes. However, if you have already backed up your text messages to iCloud, you may still be able to recover deleted texts through iCloud. Here’s how you go about it:
- Step 1: Go to Settings and select your name or image at the top of the screen. Step 2: Go to iCloudManage StorageBackups and choose it. Third, check to see whether any of your old text messages were saved as part of a previous backup
- Using the old backup, restore your iPhone to its previous state. Select GeneralResetErase all material from the drop-down menu. As soon as your phone restarts, you’ll have the option of restoring it from a previous backup (be careful to select the proper one)
Method 2: Recover deleted texts messages from iCloud website
iCloud backup of SMS texts is not available in all countries or all carriers, although it is available in some! If you happen to fall into that fortunate category, this might be the quickest and most straightforward method of recovering SMS messages.
- Step 1: Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID and password. Choosing text messages (Note: if the “text messages” icon does not display, it is probable that your SMS messages are not stored up to iCloud). Step 3: Locate the messages that you’re looking for
- Step 4: From your iPhone, go to SettingsiCloud and pick it. Once this is done, switch off SMS messaging. Step 5: A pop-up window will display, from which you can choose “Keep on My iPhone.” Text messaging should be enabled at this point. Step 7: Click on the “Merge” button. It should then be possible for your deleted text messages to return on your iPhone.
Method 3: Recover deleted texts on Android
Do you want to retrieve deleted SMS from your Android device? In most circumstances, removing a file on an Android device, such as an SMS or an MMS, does not completely remove the file from the device’s memory. Instead, it classifies the file as “inactive,” indicating to your phone that it can overwrite the existing information with new data — such as fresh text messages — if the file becomes inactive. As a result, if you realize that you have accidentally lost a critical SMS from your Android phone and need to recover it, turn off your phone immediately.
Each piece of software comes with its own set of instructions.
Method 4: Contact your carrier
If you truly need those erased text messages and none of the ways listed above have worked for you, you might want to consider contacting your phone provider. You may be able to view your text messages if you obtain a court order from some firms, but you may be required to obtain one from others. The following is a list of major carriers’ retention durations compiled by the American Civil Liberties Union:
Prevent deleted business text messages
The experience of trying to recover a string of text messages only to learn that their corporate texting software didn’t preserve them is one of the most aggravating for marketing managers and customer service professionals. Prior text messages are very hard to recover in these situations, which is why you should make certain that your business texting platform is continually preserving client interaction records. Here are some examples of situations in which extensive client SMS data are beneficial:
- Customer service disputes: Having a record of what was texted, when it was texted, and by whom might be critical when it comes to resolving customer service conflicts. A legal consultation might be especially beneficial if you are experiencing legal troubles with one of your clients. Records pertaining to employees: In the event that your company uses text messaging for internal interactions, preserving your text messages can serve as a paper trail in the event that any of your procedures are questioned. Specifics of the marketing campaign: Having complete visibility into marketing initiatives, including the wording of your SMS messages, the time they were sent and any performance metrics tracked, is critical not only when planning your next campaign, but also when dealing with employee turnover or transitioning between roles in your organization. It is nearly hard to recover lost marketing messages, and doing so might result in the loss of valuable learnings that could be used to fine-tune your efforts.
If you do wind up mistakenly losing client text logs or exchanges, contact the customer care team for your business text messaging platform to enquire about the possibility of having that data restored as quickly as possible. In order to avoid mistakenly deleting your business text messages, here are several things you should look for (even if you aren’t technically knowledgeable).
- What is the location of text logs? Consult with your mass text messaging platform to find out how they save client interactions, or if they even do so at all. How long do texts remain on the system? Seek clarification from your business texting service provider on the length of time they will retain your texts. For example, several medical offices and educational institutions require that texts be saved securely for a specific amount of time
- In these cases, this is critical. How can you gain access to text logs? Find out if you’ll be able to check stored texts on your own or if you’ll need to be authorized access by the company that provides your business texting service.
By going through these questions ahead of time, you can avoid having to go through the process of retrieving deleted texts later on.
How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on Android (Ultimate Guide)
You may unintentionally erase crucial text messages due to a mistaken tap, or you may lose all of your texts during a factory reset, system crash, Android upgrade, rooting, or other procedure.
As long as your Android device has not been overwritten by fresh data, you should be able to retrieve any lost texts that have been accidentally erased.
Can You Retrieve Deleted Texts?
However, despite the fact that there is no trash bin on an Android phone and no undo button to recover lost text messages on Android, text messages CAN be retrieved after they have been deleted from an Android phone. According to the truth, when you delete a text message from your Android smartphone, the phone does not immediately delete the message from its memory space; instead, it changes the memory space that the deleted messages occupied to “unused,” and when you continue to use the phone and create new data, the new data will overwrite the deleted messages and take up the unused memory space.
Not going to lie, even while it is feasible to recover lost text messages from Android, it is not always simple to really recover the deleted text messages.
Even with the greatest file management tool, there is no way to access the folder that holds the deleted messages in a conventional manner.
A second issue is that if you continue to use your Android phone after deleting the messages, there is a potential that the deleted messages have already been overwritten by fresh data and are no longer accessible, especially if the messages have been erased for many days or even several weeks.
Best Solution: Use Android SMS Recovery Software
FonePaw Android Data Recovery is a PC-based tool that can locate and recover lost or outdated text messages from the memory of an Android phone. It is quite simple to use: all you have to do is connect your phone to a computer and follow the program’s on-screen instructions to recover the deleted text messages that you want. The Most Important Characteristics
- Easily recover lost Android SMS and MMS messages from an Android phone, including the texts, contact information, and the date
- Provide you with a glimpse of the deleted text messages so that you may pick and choose the ones you want to restore
- Conserve the recovered Android messages in formats such as HTML or CSV so that they may be viewed more easily on a PC
- Supports Android text/data recovery on Samsung Galaxy (e.g., Galaxy S10/S9/Note9/S8/S7/S6/S5), HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google Nexus, OnePlus, ASUS, Huawei, Xiaomi, and more, covering the majority of Android manufacturers
- In addition, it is capable of recovering WhatsApp messages, photographs, call logs, contacts, and other data from an Android phone.
Download and install FonePaw Android Data Recovery on your Windows PC or Mac, and then follow the on-screen instructions to recover lost text messages from Android phones that have been destroyed. Please keep the following information in mind if you have lost your Android data:
- Remove the device from service in order to prevent newly written data from overwriting previously lost data and hindering data recovery
- Make sure you have adequate battery power to ready for a USB
STEP 1. Connect Android to Windows
Installing Android Data Recovery on a computer should be the first step. Make use of a USB cable to connect your phone (such as the Samsung Galaxy S10/S9/S8/Note 9) to a computer. The software will recognize your Android phone instantly and prompt you to activate USB debugging on the phone if you have not already done so. Tips:
STEP 2. Choose to Restore Text Messages
The next page will appear once the computer and phone are linked, and you can select the type of data you wish to recover from your Android device using the options listed below. You have the option of recovering deleted photographs, WhatsApp messages, contacts, and videos from your Android phone or tablet. In this scenario, select “Messages” from the drop-down menu and click “Next.”
STEP 3. Install FonePaw App
Attempts will be made by the application to search your Android phone for deleted texts. Installing the FonePaw application on your phone is required in order to obtain authorization to access your phone data.
As a result, the Android Data Recovery application will prompt you to activate the option to install via USB drive. Follow the on-screen instructions to activate the option, and then touch Install when you get the following pop-up on your Android phone to complete the installation.
STEP 4. Give Permission to Scan Deleted Messages
Once the FonePaw program has been downloaded and installed, you may grant Android Data Recovery permission to view your erased data. When FonePaw asks you whether you want to grant it permission to view messages on your phone, choose Allow. In any other case, the application will be unable to recover deleted text messages from your Android device. After you have provided all of the necessary permissions, click Scan Authorized Files to search for any deleted messages.
STEP 5. Preview and Recover Text Messages from Android
The application will initially run a routine check on your phone to determine its condition. If you are unable to locate the missing messages that you require after doing the regular scan, you can run a Deep Scan to locate them. Deleted messages will be shown in red text when the thorough search is completed. If you just want to see the SMS messages that have been deleted, turn on the option ” Only display the deleted items “. Select the text messages you wish to recover and then hit the “Recover” button; the application will then transfer the messages to your computer’s hard drive.
You may open the CSV file with a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel or a text editor such as Notepad.
The HTML file, on the other hand, will present the recovered messages in a more ordered and understandable manner.
FAQ: Can I Recover Deleted Messages on Android without Root?
Text messages that have been deleted are saved in a secret folder on your phone’s memory, which cannot be viewed using a standard file explorer. Only after rooting your Android phone will an Android data recovery program be able to recover the deleted texts from your phone. There are programs that claim to be able to recover lost text messages from Android without rooting the device, however it is practically impossible to get your deleted text messages back without rooting the device.
FAQ: Is it Possible to Recover Deleted Text Messages on Android Without Computer
Perhaps you believe that using third-party software to recover lost text messages from your Android phone is a difficult task. In reality, there are a plethora of messaging applications and services available to assist you in better managing your text messages. They even give the possibility to retrieve any deleted text messages that you may have. We’ll provide a recommendation for the best option.
Restore text messages from Google Drive
If you have backed up your phone to Google Drive, there is a chance that the backup contains your deleted text messages as well. Backup and restore your accounts by going toSettingsAccounts. Check under your Google account to see whether there was a Google Drive backup produced before the messages were erased by selecting Google Account from the drop-down menu. If you have a backup of your messages, you can restore the backup and recover the messages that were deleted restored. By restoring a backup, on the other hand, anything that was generated after the backup would be destroyed.
That is also why we recommend that you use a desktop tool such as FonePaw Android Data Recovery to recover lost SMS from your Android device.
Hot Tip: Back up Messages on Android Phones
There is no way to predict how long it will take for the deleted texts to be overwritten, but it is certain that the sooner you take action, the greater the likelihood that the deleted messages will be retrieved from your device. When you discover that any crucial text messages have been erased, you should do the following:
- Turn off your Android phone’s Wi-Fi and put it in airplane mode. Using your phone’s network connection to prevent fresh messages, phone calls, and other data from overwriting previously erased texts is a good idea. It is best not to create new files on your Android phone. For example, refrain from using it to snap fresh images or download a new file, among other things.
Then you’ll need to move quickly – download an SMS recovery program for your Android phone as soon as possible so that you may recover your deleted text messages before they are overwritten by new texts. Because of this, it is a good idea to routinely back up critical Android SMS messages in order to ensure that you have an additional copy of the crucial text messages in case they are accidentally erased. This will prevent your text messages from being deleted again.
How to Back up SMS text messages to Google Drive
In addition to helping you recover unintentionally lost text messages, your Google Drive is a dependable service that we’ve already highlighted. A fundamental assumption should be that you must continually back up data from your Android phone to Google Drive. This is a need for most users. And it’s a really straightforward process! Open the Google Drive app, go to SettingsGoogle backupSMS messages, and check the SMS backup box to activate it.
How to Back up SMS text messages to PC
It is also possible to back up text messages to a computer using one of the many Android SMS recovery applications or desktop solutions available. FonePaw Android Data BackupRestore allows you to create a backup of your text messages and restore them if necessary. In the event that some messages are accidentally deleted from your phone in the future, you can always locate the lost messages on your computer and restore them to the phone. The whole procedure for retrieving deleted SMS from Android is outlined above.